Frame repair

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
bingty

Frame repair

Post by bingty »

I am working on a 1976 jeep J20 that I bought for $300. Hasn't run in 20 years. Got her running and replaced the entire fuel system etc. Now I am looking at the frame and the rear frame behind the rear axle is pretty awful (I can stick my finger through it at places). Any kits or parts that would be easiest to use? My son and I are doing this together as he is taking a welding class.
Thanks for any help you may have!
!976 Jeep J20

twisted frame

Re: Frame repair

Post by twisted frame »

There are no frame repair kits out there for J trucks, like the ones you see for Tacomas and newer stuff like that. New steel plate and/or sections of steel angle will probably be your best bet. Depending on where you are, going to metal retailer can be great since you get to see what they have in stock and you can pick from drops/cut offs from other orders. I'd suggest trying to buy a frame section from someone parting out a J truck but at this point, most others are rusty and rotted too.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Good suggestions above from Mr. Frame. You may want to consider fish plating the frame rails inside and out well beyond where the damage is w/ 1/4 steel. It may require removing and re-welding the spring hangers, but at least you know they'll be on solid ground. I did this procedure last year. My advice would be weld in good solid X braces before you start to minimize warpage as you heat it up. then remove when done. Last suggestion is, if your taking a class, chances are there are a few experienced welders in there perhaps seeking additional certifications. Maybe seek one of them out and ask if they'd mind a little side job for some green.

exempli gratia:

best of luck,

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
bingty

Post by bingty »

Thanks thats great advice! I will plan on doing that. The hangers are shot as well so I am going to need to replace them anyway. Do they sell those or do I need to fabricate them as well?
!976 Jeep J20

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

You can find Ford Ranger/F150 2.5" spring hangers on Ebay--Cheap

Topic author
bingty

Post by bingty »

perfect! Thanks!
!976 Jeep J20

Topic author
bingty

Post by bingty »

J20 b.jpg
J20 a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
!976 Jeep J20

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Love the old tires and those treads, of course at this point the darn things are probably square, but they look cool!

Fleet Fox

Topic author
bingty

Post by bingty »

I want to get the same type when I'm done
!976 Jeep J20

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

They're out there:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Deestone-D5 ... PUEALw_wcB

Just keep in mind they're bias ply, and high load range so they will ride rough and handle like wooden wagon wheels. Plus require tubes AND they'll be loud and bumpy until they warm up...but they are new and they exist. Deestone is decent, Thai now, but If I remember correctly it is essentially the farm, field and forest division of Firestone/ Bridgestone that was sold off years ago. Besides, a lot of the latex/rubber in all tires is sourced from Thailand plantations anyways. We have some Deestone tractor tires and they have held up well.

More useless information from the warehouse...

Fleet Fox

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

How do we know they require tubes? Their site doesn't say, another site selling them says they're tubeless.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

https://deestonetireusa.com/tires/bias- ... ight-truck

it appears they are available tubeless as well (T/L).

other choices: https://www.stausaonline.com/tires/sta-super-traxion/

I stand corrected.

Fleet Fox

Topic author
bingty

Post by bingty »

Wow perfect! the tires I have while rotten are holding air. Once she's road worthy I am going to buy those for sure!
!976 Jeep J20

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I'm wondering what the T/T vs T/L meant. The site didn't splain it. Tube type and tubeless? Never noticed that before but never looked at tires like this before.

I like those 36" tall but only 10.4" wide 9.00-16's. Maybe for my Dodge next time.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.