1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Re-Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
ateam_13bc

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Re-Build

Post by ateam_13bc »

So i will get pictures up as soon as i can. Pleas be pt.

So on Sunday Nov 17 my jeep caught on fire. Hard day.
So after a guy behind me at the light help me put it out, the fire department decided to cut my hood in half. but they made sure it was okay again.

So after couple days waiting for the insurance to say not covered. I started into rebuilding it.

So before the fire it was 88 GW, with rough country lift, Sniper EFI installed on the original 360, With original everything except that. All things worked except the A/C and the Cruise control.

So what works now after fire and post clean up.

All the electrical works as follows.
Lights work
Turn signals work
Brake lights work
High/Low beams work
Heater fan works on all three levels.

Wipers work but are always on, found they wires got a little cooked, Fixing this soon.
Heater controls for defrost or floor or vent doesn't. If someone has good pictures of this that would be helpful.
Working on the Spark plugs wires, cap and rotor since they got a little cooked, the coil and wiring to this. Will put pics up as i fix things.

Reason i am posting is to get help where i get stuck. Vacuum lines I already need help with this problem. I am missing some parts that got melted and don't have good pictures of what it looked like before.

I am also looking for a hood if anyone is close to the NW that has one for sale. The hood release failed and that is why they cut the hood in half.

My name is Dan thanks
I am in NW Oregon

freehold

Re: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Re-Build

Post by freehold »

Very sorry to hear about this. Glad you're ok. When I bought my GW, it came with a fire extinguisher in the back. That got me a little nervous, but now I get it.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

Topic author
ateam_13bc

Post by ateam_13bc »

Back half
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ateam_13bc on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
ateam_13bc

Post by ateam_13bc »

Before fire
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ateam_13bc on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
ateam_13bc

Post by ateam_13bc »

Pics so people can see
Last edited by ateam_13bc on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
ateam_13bc

Post by ateam_13bc »

The First link is what it looks like now, The second link shows before the fire and hood cut in half. Having trouble just loading the pictures. Today i am going to see if i am able to get it to fire and go from there. Wish me luck.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Google links not showing up for me. I use imgur with good results.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
ateam_13bc

Post by ateam_13bc »

UPdate, On 11/24 my wife helped me fix the wiring, so did cap and rotor and spark plug wires. Got them done and some starting fluid and it fires up. Still no hood but working on that. The Sniper EFI is toast, wires got melted together and that fried it. Most of the other wires i was able to fix. Sorry the google pics didnt work. Now i have to order a new EFI and see if i can make it run again and go from there. My vacum hoses with the baseball looking thing will need to be tackled after that.

Topic author
ateam_13bc

Post by ateam_13bc »

Here is a link of it running. Before the fire.

https://youtu.be/SOPjcaB1UuA

letank

Post by letank »

bummer, sorry for that setback. I am not a fire expert, albeit I have done some wire melting myself.
Do you have a rough idea what was the origin of the fire? That driver's side valve cover looks a bit cooked more than the rest.

As for the defrost/heat vacuum control the later series, 86 and newer relies on a vacuum module built behind the Heater/AC panel

here is the vacuum ball on the firewall

and the hvac unit, with the vacuum outlets, it is a module that has all the vacuum hoses attached to a white plastic block

and the top view -I had to go to the junkyard to practice removal-

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
ateam_13bc

Post by ateam_13bc »

Thank all that have helped. was trying to sell it. I got it running again and worked on getting things up so i could drive it to town. Which it does now. I am sourcing a jeep 318 i have now for swapping it into in so i can get a OD drive grear and better fuel injection. So that is what i am working on it now. I got lots of good parts from dave on here to help out with the parts.