70 Waggy WT Conversion

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

66stepside

Re: 70 Waggy WT Conversion

Post by 66stepside »

Oh man. I should’ve never asked- that’s going to be amazingly crazy cool- the link to the source of the lift info was a nice touch, too.

Can’t wait to see those pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Mreuther12

Post by Mreuther12 »

66stepside wrote:Oh man. I should’ve never asked- that’s going to be amazingly crazy cool- the link to the source of the lift info was a nice touch, too.

Can’t wait to see those pics!

It’s been a long time coming, but it’s nice to see some progress. I still have to figure out a few things out with the steering and driveshafts, but I will have to cross that bridge once the axles are underneath.

1970 Wagoneer
- Buick 350 Dauntless V8, TA Performance Stage 1 Intake, Holley Sniper, Holley Hyperspark, Electric Fan, Aluminum Radiator
- 76 J10 D44 w/ OX Lockers Front & Rear

WT Conversion in progress...

Topic author
Mreuther12

Post by Mreuther12 »

Well the J10 axles are officially under under the waggy, lift is installed and the fenders are rough cut! The Skyjacker springs went on fairly easily, with the rears only needing slight persuasion. It had some sag to it with my spare parts in the cargo area so it may need a AAL at a future date. I want to get the winch bumper on before I make that decision.

Now that I know how far the tires poke out I will go back and do the final fitment of the tube fenders, clean up the fender cuts and start patching everything back up. But it’s good to see it at actual width and ride height.

Next, I am waiting on a CV yoke to arrive for the rear output on the Dana 20 in order to take measurements and order new driveshafts.

I will try and tackle the steering this weekend. I have a y-link setup from Barnes 4WD and a early DPA that I reamed to fit the larger TRE

1970 Wagoneer
- Buick 350 Dauntless V8, TA Performance Stage 1 Intake, Holley Sniper, Holley Hyperspark, Electric Fan, Aluminum Radiator

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Those wheels look pretty good on it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Mreuther12

Post by Mreuther12 »

Stuka wrote:Those wheels look pretty good on it.
Thanks Stuka! I like them also.

1970 Wagoneer

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

This thing is awesome. I cant wait to see how those fenders turn out.
1970 J4000 / Chevy Frankenstein in progress
Soon to be Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e on 35s

Totalperfwaggy

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

Looking great man! Good progress👍
1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
Buick 350, th400 and all the stock bits
For now..............

Topic author
Mreuther12

Post by Mreuther12 »

It has been a long time since if have done an update so this is going.

I have been focusing the most of my efforts on fabrication items on the frame. I want to get as much fabrication done so that I can start running new lines after the frame is painted.

I pulled the old shock mounts off to finds that they were caked full of mud and there was some corrosion on the frame. I reinforced with 1/4” plate. I will be installing shock hoops so I’m not worried about loosing the mounting point.

Next, I have been working on the winch bumper. I did my research and found that an XJ bumper mounting is only a 1/2” narrower than out frames. I cut out some brackets welded it to the frame, and thickened the brackets to make up for the difference in widths. And with some slight modifications to the bumper bracket I think it fits pretty well. Bumper is the DIY Stump bumper from Dirtbound Offroad.

I think it fits pretty well.

After some discussion with [mention]melford72 [/mention] we both agreed that the bumper looked a little narrow and it needed to be widened. We landed on utilizing the outer of the 3 piece bumper. Melford being a photoshop wiz came up up with this mock up. What do you guys think?

1970 Wagoneer

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Looks great on my opinion. Nice throw back to when the bumper was pushed out for the winch I think it’s a great touch.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

Yea I think thats killer. I am not a fan of bumpers that stick way out and that is a sweet combination of the winch bumper and stock ends.

Totalperfwaggy

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

Mreuther12 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:05 pm It has been a long time since if have done an update so this is going.

I have been focusing the most of my efforts on fabrication items on the frame. I want to get as much fabrication done so that I can start running new lines after the frame is painted.

I pulled the old shock mounts off to finds that they were caked full of mud and there was some corrosion on the frame. I reinforced with 1/4” plate. I will be installing shock hoops so I’m not worried about loosing the mounting point.

Next, I have been working on the winch bumper. I did my research and found that an XJ bumper mounting is only a 1/2” narrower than out frames. I cut out some brackets welded it to the frame, and thickened the brackets to make up for the difference in widths. And with some slight modifications to the bumper bracket I think it fits pretty well. Bumper is the DIY Stump bumper from Dirtbound Offroad.

I think it fits pretty well.

After some discussion with [mention]melford72 [/mention] we both agreed that the bumper looked a little narrow and it needed to be widened. We landed on utilizing the outer of the 3 piece bumper. Melford being a photoshop wiz came up up with this mock up. What do you guys think?

Looks great man! I’m at that same stage now as well, my thought was to use a winch plate from another application as well and use the outer chrome units to finish it off and keep it somewhat stock looking as well.

Great job in my opinion. Form and function!

Total Performance-
1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
Buick 350, th400 and all the stock bits
For now..............

melford72

Post by melford72 »

I like it. Once the front clip is back on, it'll look just like it came that way. (Well, actually, no it won't...) :lol:
70 Custom Special
Not running at the moment, but LMG/4L60e in the works! :mrgreen:

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

Topic author
Mreuther12

Post by Mreuther12 »

Trying to get this bumper project don’t before my new job next week. Don’t hate me but…..I ended up going with an early 60’s C10 bumper for the bumper ends. As much as I wanted to use the 3 piece Jeep bumper, I couldn’t bring myself to cutting one up.

The C10 bumper is still produced and is $150 out the door. I also figured if I do damage it parts are way more available then trying to find another 3 piece bumper.

The C10 bumper needed to be flipped, narrowed and have the angle cut into it. I have everything mocked up and should have it completed tomorrow with the the addition of a hoop in front of the winch

1970 Wagoneer

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I think it looks great.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I like it! Plus, you are Sticking to it and I really believe you'll get it done. Cant wait to see it driving

Topic author
Mreuther12

Post by Mreuther12 »

Quick update.

The front bumper is pretty much done. I just have some final fitment tweaks, add some additional mounting points for the bumper ends, and I want to add a top skin to the bumper ends to cover the gap between the body and bumper.

1970 Wagoneer

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

Any update on this? Its gonna be sweet when its done one day!