82 Cherokee Larado

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Hspencer

82 Cherokee Larado

Post by Hspencer »

Well now that the 88 GW is mostly done, still have the wood grain to install and a few leaks to address, I decided to start a build page on the next project.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Not sure what my final plans are for this one but I’m diving in to some of the more critical must do anyway items.

It has a little over 200,000 miles most of which came from the original GA owner. Has had two owners since, one that did “new” floor pans and rattle can bedliner, the other tried to cover that up with new carpet.

It started life with a 258 and manual 4 speed. Somewhere around 100,000 miles the owner had Jasper Jeep in GA install a rebuild 360 pulled from an 86 of some variety which was mated with a World Class T-5. A Comp Cams 260H was installed during rebuild along with a performer intake and carb. Exhaust is single 3” from y pipe to a single in duel out muffler, not sure of the brand. All emission equipment has been removed. From the recipes it looks like the top end was reworked in 09 at a little over 200,000 miles. It’s geared 3.73 and seems strong, I’ll check compression soon to verify condition, oil pressure with new mechanical gauge is good.

One issue is the clutch linkage, looks to be “custom” fabricated and has the ratio off. I only have about an inch of pedal movement from fully engaged to fully disengaged, makes for a fun drive!

Other than the rust in the pans the body seems fairly good, a few small holes on the bottom of the rear flairs but seams solid. There is some frame rot, typical area at the fuel tank, still solid but will need to drop the tank and repair before it gets out of hand.

I’ll posts more as things progress.
1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

Topic author
Hspencer

Re: 82 Cherokee Larado

Post by Hspencer »

Had a little time today so I pulled the seats and carpet, removed a pile of screws, caulk and some duct tape. I pulled the makeshift panda to see what I had in store. Not as bad as envisioned but worse than I’d like.
ImageImageImageImage

This is the rear passenger side by the lift gate, the only spot back there.

Looks like some new pans are in my future. Guess I’ll start cutting and cleaning up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

How are the floor repairs going? If you are welding this yourself, are you using flux core wire solid core wire?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Hspencer

Post by Hspencer »

twisted frame wrote:How are the floor repairs going? If you are welding this yourself, are you using flux core wire solid core wire?
Solid wire/gas. Still cutting out the rot, probably be next week before I start putting them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Quick question on your mig, do you use .23 wire with 20-80 mix gas? I tried using some .30 wire and it was too hot. Will changing from 220vlt to 110vlt help? Im assuming that dropping to lower voltage wont lower the current available at the tip.

Topic author
Hspencer

Post by Hspencer »

I use .24 for body work with 75/25.

Input voltage won’t affect output voltage with the exception that dual voltage machines will usually limit lead voltage when using 110v

Wire quality matters, cheaper wire can be less consistent.

All welders are different so the best thing to do is practice on scrap pieces of the same thickness you’ll be using to get setting dialed in.

Should be around 20cfh on gas flow, not psi, cfh

1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Thanks for the details on your setup. Appreciate it!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Hspencer

Post by Hspencer »

Sure thing!

1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK