83 Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Netters

83 Cherokee

Post by Netters »

Hey all,
Just bought this 83 Cherokee wide track from a friend. It has an AMC 360 with all kinds of goodies on it and a TF 727. Western "turbine" rims, Gibson exhaust. Question is...what do I do with it? I'd like to give it a mild lift (soa?) Ultimately, I want to do some over landing and/or light trail exploring. I use it all the time while camping, so I don't want a mall crawler.

Any ideas with links would be greatly appreciated. I'm totally a noob when it come to FSJs. I'm located in NM so hopefully I'll see some of you in Colorado in July. Also link any FB groups too, please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fulsizjeep

Re: 83 Cherokee

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome to the madness. I see it has a 3 piece bumper on the rear. If it is original, your Cherokee will be a 76, 77 or 78 model. Then again, the 727 was introduced in 80. This could be a mashup FSJ. The VIN will tell for sure.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Netters

Post by Netters »

It is indeed a mash-up. The guy I bought it from is my best friend and he's had this thing for 17 years. So, yeah, I pretty much know everything he's done to it.

TheBeefChief79

Post by TheBeefChief79 »

what I did with my current cherokee is i left the junky looking matte rattlecan paint job and i made it reliable. i now use it as a daily driver and I also use it to occassionally tow a small trailer with some dirtbikes and quads, then i fold up the seat to sleep in the back at the campsites. if i fold up my seat and cover the windows it retains tempature decent and i can lay in the back somewhat comfortable even with subwoofers in it and im 6 feet tall. Ultimately, i turned my main fsj into a daily driver party rig and i love it. That being said i personally would do a small lift maybe like a 2 inch body lift. in my experience in stock height fullsize jeeps i can go a decent amount of places as long as you know its capabilities, so unless you really plan on wheelin i wouldnt do too much of a lift. thats just part of my story and my opinion of course. the great part about your cherokee is that the only limit is your wallet. :-bd
Current Jeeps : 1973 cj5, 1979 cherokee chief, 1969 wagoneer
past Jeeps : 1975 j10, 1977 cherokee chief

will e

Post by will e »

Greetings from Phoenix. That's a good looking rig. Interesting side marker lights. I've never seen one like it.

So, what to do about the lift? If you go SOA it is not a 'mild' lift. It will net you about 6" or so in the front, maybe a bit more. And you will want to do a shackle flip in the rear. There will be some steering work involved as well. Do a few searches and you will get some ideas. SOA's seem 'cheap' but in the long run they can cost more than a spring lift. SOA/SF tends to ride nicer thank a spring lift because you can keep a flat arch on the springs. If it has the original springs you will eventually need to replace them. My original springs lasted about a year or so in a SOA configuration until they finally bent and wore out and made the truck a bit dangerous to drive. So I ended up replacing the springs anyways.

Your rig is a 'wide track' Cherokee so you can fit larger tires in it when compared to a Wagoneer or 'narrow track' Cherokee. Many folks put on a 4" spring lift and can comfortably fit 33" inch tires. Keep in mind when you go much larger than 31 or 33" tires you will need to seriously consider re-gearing the axles. This can be expensive.

So if you are just doing mild wheeling then I would suggest a spring lift. Either 2" or 4" and either 31" or 33" tires. This is the most cost effective way of getting it a bit higher off the ground. There are 6" spring lift kits available but these have fairly arched springs and tend to be a bit more stiff and flex a bit less.

And come on up and join us in Ouray. You don't need to bring the FSJ (I probably won't again this year) but there will be lots of them to look at, talk about and see. It's a great group of folks and we have a lot of fun.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Netters

Post by Netters »

Yeah, my buddy filled in the regular holes and put Saab marker lights farther back. Ugh, I need to correct that.

I think I’ll just go with the 3” lift and not do too much to it.

Now I just need to figure out the gearing. Lol

will e

Post by will e »

Hey, nothing wrong with the Saab marker lights. Personally, I like how it's a bit different. It's a clean look.

What size tires are you thinking about? Do you know what your current gearing is?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Netters

Post by Netters »

They're 2.?? Something. I can't remember. I was thinking about 3.73 running 33s

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I ran 33s with 3.73 gears for about 10 years. It was a great combo for highway and offroad.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

will e

Post by will e »

Our very own Derf has the definitive gear calculator:

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

Those are some wide wheels. 15x10's or what. They fit the look of that Cherokee.
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

Topic author
Netters

Post by Netters »

Yeah, 15x10s, but they rub over rough terrain. So I want a mild lift to avoid that.