WaggyGirl's '76 Wagoneer Build LS 5.3/4L80E/NP208 Swap

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
WaggyGirl

Re: WaggyGirl's '76 Wagoneer Build LS 5.3/4L80E/NP208 Swap

Post by WaggyGirl »

Some photos of the new tires mocked up on the old axle... still not sure how to get these to work

https://ibb.co/7nB79PD
https://ibb.co/mvtn18X
https://ibb.co/c2SFpz4

Last edited by WaggyGirl on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WaggyGirl

Topic author
WaggyGirl

Post by WaggyGirl »

Thanks for all the info on spacers guys! I pulled the tires off etc and found that the rodeo axle is 1" shorter than the jeep axle, the other .5" of leaf spring obstruction has to do with the way the brake calipers are set up on the rodeo axle. I can post pics but you likely know what I'm talking about (and I forgot to take them). I've decided to go with the inboard leaf springs and let the tires just sit in a bit narrow for now, and to possibly add the spacers in the future. That might make it a little tippy but I wont be doing much off roading until after I change out the front axle gears anyway and it will keep my tires out of the wheel wells a bit.

I was looking at the tabbing method Stuka posted for cutting the wheel wells and will likely do that as well, but I've been struggling to find photos since the ones on the thread are missing (PB!). I just figured out imgbb.com so let's see if I can get some photos up! Image
WaggyGirl

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Pretty sure I still have those photos, I will dig for them tonight. I no longer own that Jeep, and the person I sold it to swapped on a '67 body. But pretty sure the photos are in one of my archives.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

WaggyGirl wrote:Thanks for all the info on spacers guys! I pulled the tires off etc and found that the rodeo axle is 1" shorter than the jeep axle, the other .5" of leaf spring obstruction has to do with the way the brake calipers are set up on the rodeo axle. I can post pics but you likely know what I'm talking about (and I forgot to take them). I've decided to go with the inboard leaf springs and let the tires just sit in a bit narrow for now, and to possibly add the spacers in the future. That might make it a little tippy but I wont be doing much off roading until after I change out the front axle gears anyway and it will keep my tires out of the wheel wells a bit.

I was looking at the tabbing method Stuka posted for cutting the wheel wells and will likely do that as well, but I've been struggling to find photos since the ones on the thread are missing (PB!). I just figured out imgbb.com so let's see if I can get some photos up! Image
You could always go with control arms instead of leaves. Probably not much more cost or work and would be able to “dial in” the height you want.??

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Here is a photo that I took of how I trimmed the rear fenders. I wanted to have them trimmed to the bend in the flare (I suggest not going farther than this in back). I first cut half the distance that I wanted. Then, I notched the remaining bit, and used some flat vice-grips to bend them in. You could use regular pliers, but the flat vice grips make it so that they get bent in flat. And then used a ball peen hammer to get them tight, which you want.

One thing I would have done differently, is before bending in the tabs, but some sort of sealant up there between the two fender walls. As I did get water through the seams, which would have led to rust.

2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ