1980 Wagoneer - first Jeep!

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
KollynnBlackpaw

1980 Wagoneer - first Jeep!

Post by KollynnBlackpaw »

Howdy, y'all!
As you may have read above - I'm entirely new to Jeeps (kinda). I work on Aircooled VWs typically, but wanted a hauler that was "old-ish" and "at least somewhat-cool" as I described it to friends when I was looking around. You know, a C10, or a Suburban, maybe a Blazer - then I spotted it on Facebook; a wonderful, brick red 1980 Wagoneer, runs drives stops, 2 owner car. Picked it up for a pretty decent price and drove it home. Well, he's got some bad electrical issues when it comes to... a lot. Mostly the dash and the brake lights right now, which oddly worked when I drove it home, and now don't. I also had the drive gear for the front left hub just "pling!" and pop out with the hubcap the other day, very fun! I have no experience with 4wds by the way - again, aircooled VWs!!! Rear engine, rear wheel drive, and under 60 MPH. :P

So I lied a little - technically "my" first Jeep is a '50 CJ3A I've got sitting next to the house - but that's my Grandmas that I'm restoring for her, and is a lot more simple!

Anyways - I was hoping someone has a tale of finding their build sheet (if these had them) inside the vehicle's headliner/door panels/etc, or if there's a resource for getting one. Mine seems to have a bunch of different options, and if it was an '81 I had thought for a moment it was a Brougham.

"The Brick", here, has thin side wood grain, wood grain door panels and dash, power seats, power steering, quadra-trac full time 4wd, power front discs, power rear window, HOT heater (great for Oregon!!!), not sure about A/C haven't checked, had power mirrors by the looks, fog lights, and probably more that I'm missing entirely. I don't know what was all "stock" and what was all optional. Oh yeah, did I mention at all that I have no experience with 4wd vehicles yet? :D
Wagoneer.jpg
More pictures coming in the future!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Re: 1980 Wagoneer - first Jeep!

Post by will e »

Howdy and welcome from Phoenix Arizona! You'll find a lot of help here on the forum. And don't be concerned about asking even simple questions about these rigs or curious things about 4wd.

It's a good looking Jeep. At first glance I can see the side mirrors are aftermarket.

Do you know what drive train it has? We can help you with that as well.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Welcome [from another one from Arizona] to the group. Another one Good looking Wagon.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome to the madness! That would be a Wagoneer Custom. Nice color. When you identify QuadraTrac, that would be the New Process 219 on a AMC bell 727 tranny. It is full time, 2 speed 4wd. Not to be confused with 73-79 Borg Warner QuadraTrac. Now you may have learnt something new already. Enjoy the ride! :-bd
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
KollynnBlackpaw

Post by KollynnBlackpaw »

First off - thanks a ton for the welcomes, y'all! And yes, learning is fantastic and I'm always down to learn something new! As far as drive train goes, I'm not sure - still learning!

I actually had an issue the other day wherein the drive gear(? I think), pressure spring, and hubcap came off the left front wheel in a parking lot, and the transfer case seemed to pop out of gear or something? I would put it in reverse or drive and it would do nothing, the driveshafts were spinning however. I turned it off, put it in N, then back to 4HI and it seemed to get it back going. I had unknowingly put in the drive gear backwards in the hub just to get it home, and luckily got it out later with a little tapping on the axle shaft to wiggle it forward and grab it with two picks. My issue now lies in the fact that I need a new snap ring / retaining ring for the axle shaft holding the drive gear back in the hub assembly - what size would I be needing? Can I get this from NAPA?

Pic included of when I had it in backwards - do let me know if I got all the part names and terms right please!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.