'68 Wagoneer Build - Euro Style

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Jetscuh

Re: '68 Wagoneer Build - Euro Style

Post by Jetscuh »

letank wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:54 pm thank you for the picts, great job.
How are the A pillars, this is a real weak point on most older rigs as the windshield gasket shrinks, the poorly treated metal rust really fast... at the base and the roof mount as well to avoid more surprises. Looks decent from the picts... a lot of putty was used in those roof areas as well as the cowl on the assembly line.

Yes the rear wheel wells are exactly that: deep wells, check the thickness by the rear bench pedestal at the rear wheel well forward area
Well, this is literally a rust free body now because it goes through a few processes during the dips. Basically everything that is not metal, gets eaten away. Again, due to the amount of rust, I thought this was the best way to go. Although coloring/lighting in the photos is a bit weird and may not illustrate everything quite as well as in person.

The A pillars aren't as bad as I thought. Some damage, but not terrible. The rear wheel wells are absolutely chewed up. We're replacing the lower quarter panel and will have to fab some more metal into the wells.

There are areas on the body where there is metal, but it is too thin for our liking so we'll replace. There are no more surprises since it is is what it is. It is taken apart and stripped. Pricey and laborious, but the best way for a proper restore I think.

My next quest is to find someone to make new leaf springs for this thing, and going through everything on and in the axles/rebuilding/resealing.

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Your Jeep isn't really yours till you bleed on it. Another member's words, not mine,
but true anyway. I would say it's really yours after you weld on it. If you haven't yet,
go get a mig welder with a gas bottle and dive in. Youtube is your friend.
It is far more satisfying to do the work than to pay someone else to do it.
Can't find brackets? Make them. Same for patch panels. Well worth the time and expense.
Flux wire is messy and smoky, but still works.
Your springs should be 2.5" wide. If you can find springs at the wrecking yard that match,
you can combine the Jeep main leaf with the newer secondary leaves.
Is that a Jensen hiding behind the Porsche?
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

lkmarsh wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:34 pm Your Jeep isn't really yours till you bleed on it. Another member's words, not mine,
but true anyway. I would say it's really yours after you weld on it. If you haven't yet,
go get a mig welder with a gas bottle and dive in. Youtube is your friend.
It is far more satisfying to do the work than to pay someone else to do it.
Can't find brackets? Make them. Same for patch panels. Well worth the time and expense.
Flux wire is messy and smoky, but still works.
Your springs should be 2.5" wide. If you can find springs at the wrecking yard that match,
you can combine the Jeep main leaf with the newer secondary leaves.
Is that a Jensen hiding behind the Porsche?
Well, there has already been bloodshed, so check that off the list.

It is more satisfying to do the work in some cases, but there are a few things here and there that require a professional (engine machining for example), and I'm ok with that. Sometimes it irks me when people are like, just get this thing, that, and assemble a whole automotive shop in your garage! It's easy!..but I've also seen some "self done" work that would've been better off in the hands of professionals. Either way, I don't look down upon anyone for their choices regarding what they choose to do themselves. Why fab patch panels that already exist? That are literally measured and made for the vehicle. Sure some stuff will be fabbed, but not all. I also have a certain timeline to adhere to due to somewhat annoying regulations on how long one can have a non-operational vehicle for. There are some "unique" challenges over here, to say the least.

I'm not looking for what will get me by, I'm looking for done right. There was already enough done wrong, poorly fabbed, birdshite welded junk on this thing. Trust me, plenty of non handed off work has gone and will go into this thing.

I know how wide my springs should be, but the thing is, wrecking yards are not super common here, neither are large vehicles. I also do not want to combine my main crusty old leaf with newer secondary leafs. I will give proper measurements to a spring shop and have them made. New.

There are actually a few Jensen's there... where the body was being stored after the dip. A few other interesting old cars there too.

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

I hope farming out the tough stuff works better for you than it did for me. As for patch panels,
they never fit like OEM. Never. Your body guy will have to spend a lot of time hammering them to fit.
Jensens are never seen on the roads around here, like so many other great cars, they live sheltered
lives here because of the traffic, lousy roads, uninsured and unlicensed drivers, etc.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

Yeah, the patch panels never fit like OEM, I get this. I have a deadline and I literally cannot meet that deadline on my own. This shop has a good reputation and has done good work. They also have some equipment that I simply cannot fit in my garage or do not have at home. A home that I don't own, that I rent, that I live in for 3 years, then I move again. So there are just a lot of circumstances at play here. I'm fortunate to have a large walk in basement, workshop room, and garage with a pit. That's quite good for around here.

I have never seen a Jensen on the road, but there were at least 3 at this storage place. And other cars I've not seen before. Kind of cool to look around.

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

Soo...the never ending series of unfortunate events.

The guy at the shop that would assist with the metal work has become ill (cancer) and can no longer do the work.
I had another guy look at it, but it was too much work for him (the main body is quite crusty).

After we discussed it back and forth, we decided to junk it (for sure this time). We tossed around getting another body from the states, but then figured for all of the money we would put into this thing, perhaps it'd be better spent elsewhere. I also don't want to deal with anything FSJ related sight unseen.

Therefore, I have random odds and ends (trim pieces - whatever else) that I am willing to sell. A lot of it is crusty, some of it is decent.
We also bought a lot of new stuff (radiator, seals, weather stripping, small parts, brakes) that was never used that I'd part with too. I made a parts list that I'll post elsewhere, but if anyone stumbles across this thread and has interest, just shoot me a PM.

Meanwhile, picked up a 1970 Buick GS 455 from the US. I'm getting older, figured I needed a Buick/ "old persons car" haha. So I'm leaving the FSJ realm.

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

I stumbled upon this list and was going to ask about the radiator . Are these parts in Germany
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

fsj454 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:56 pm I stumbled upon this list and was going to ask about the radiator . Are these parts in Germany
The parts are in Germany - but shipped from my APO address (USPS) so postage is similar to shipping from NY.

But the radiator has already been sold.