'68 Wagoneer Build - Euro Style

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Jetscuh

'68 Wagoneer Build - Euro Style

Post by Jetscuh »

I decided to make a build thread as I don't see as many for these earlier models...and so others can reference this in the future as what not to do. :D

I picked up this 1968 Wagoneer in the Netherlands last month and now it sits here in my garage in Germany. One of the biggest challenges is being in Germany as it is near impossible to source parts, so I have to ship everything from America. Also, I cannot just roll up to a junkyard because they're not so common here and they do not have Wagoneers.

So here are some plans for this dumpster fire on wheels:

Rust repair - currently working on the frame and wheel wells
4" Lift from BJ's
31" tires - probably an All Terrain of some sort
Change every seal possible since it leaks out of every seal possible - currently taking the engine apart (350 V8)
New aluminum radiator and re-do the whole cooling system
Possibly rebuild the transmission - seems ok though - at least replace seals, fluid, filter, etc.
Replace all weather stripping
New oil pump/oil pump mod/sending unit in an attempt to resolve low oil pressure
Install actual gauges so I know my oil pressure, temp, and amp
Replace the fuel system - new lines, filter, tank as it currently runs off of LPG and I'd like to go back to gas but it hasn't ran on gas in a long time
Rebuild closed knuckles in the front - redo all axle seals and diff
New brakes all around - sticking with drums for the time being
New paint job - rust repair on body

There is probably more in the plans that I've forgotten or more that I'll add as I go along. This thing was the victim of neglect, laziness, and ignorance for quite some time! It was imported in 1996 so it is a shame someone went through the hassle and cost of import only for it to be neglected and be in the condition it is in now. I hope to restore it to something decent and drive it fairly regularly. The thought of scrapping it has entered my mind several times! Not gonna lie...

Pictures of the ol' bird:
IMG-20190714-WA0003.jpg
20190723_152650.jpg
640x480.jpg
1280x960 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Re: '68 Wagoneer Build - Euro Style

Post by will e »

That's a nice looking waggy. It doesn't look too neglected. Probably has 'good bones'.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

Honestly, it's really photogenic. It's not in very good shape. There is a lot of rust. I'm doing some rust repair at the moment, and the frame is solid, the floors seem ok... The wheel wells/inner fenders are roached and I can stick my hand through a hole on the inside of the rear quarter panel. A lot of other rust due to the weather stripping being shot.

Drained the cooling system and it was 98% water 2% coolant. The oil filter has a 2013 date on it... Last change? And just no one took care of the thing. Kind of sad, really.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Canary yellow is a pretty uncommon color. Nice looking rig!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

letank

Post by letank »

Jetscuh wrote: The oil filter has a 2013 date on it... Last change? And just no one took care of the thing. Kind of sad, really.
Nice rig, the color of the oil is probably more important than the age of the oil and the filter.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

jpswapmohn wrote:Canary yellow is a pretty uncommon color. Nice looking rig!
I think it is Prarie Gold, no? I could be wrong, but I think it looks that color and that was a color offered in 1968.

letank wrote:
Jetscuh wrote: The oil filter has a 2013 date on it... Last change? And just no one took care of the thing. Kind of sad, really.
Nice rig, the color of the oil is probably more important than the age of the oil and the filter.
Last change...who knows. It changes itself...as in it all leaks out and you pour more in! Currently rebuilding the engine so this shouldn't be an issue if we do it right :D

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

So the interior isn't bad but I do need a new radio, and to fix the front bench seat as I sink quite a bit when I sit in it. Some things are worn out there, and there is a small hole to be repaired.

Then there is the rats nest of wiring under the dash and everywhere - ordered a new wiring harness and we're just going to redo it all since it is such a mess. I have a mystery switch I need to figure out too. It also starts with the key sometimes, but someone installed a push botton start...as in you put the key in, turn it to "on" and then press the button under the dash and it starts. Weird flex, but ok.

Also installed some cheap LED light strips on the sides of the pit, which was super easy and provides a lot more light under the vehicle.

Another reason why I might remove the LPG system all together is that I'm not fond of the tank being in the back. It also ruins one of the greatest features; cargo space.
IMG-20190714-WA0004.jpg
1280x960 (3).jpg
1280x960 (4).jpg
Pitlight.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oilburner

Post by Oilburner »

[quote="Jetscuh"]

I think it is Prarie Gold, no? I could be wrong, but I think it looks that color and that was a color offered in 1968.
[/quote="Jetscuh"]

Looks like the same Prairie Gold on my '69 (just faded a bit) :-bd

will e

Post by will e »

Actually looks pretty clean overall. Thanks for saving it!
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Post by letank »

Jetscuh wrote: I do need a new radio,
Our radio are the type mini... it is indeed a tight space
Jetscuh wrote: fix the front bench seat as I sink quite a bit when I sit in it.
I had the same issue, one of the spring broke... I bought some metal rod and remade an equivalent, but this is brutal, I am sure that you can find a replacement from some outfit... thinking... about lmctruck.com... I probably have a pict somewhere of an uncovered bench...
Jetscuh wrote: It also starts with the key sometimes, but someone installed a push button start...as in you put the key in, turn it to "on" and then press the button under the dash and it starts. Weird fix, but ok.
I have installed such a switch on the 85, as after a few tries to adjust my ignition switch, it was never reliable.
Michel

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

You are probably correct on the Prairie Gold. I am sure the data plate might tell ya. I thought PG was a bit darker, but I have never seen either color in person.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I would drive it!
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

letank wrote:
Jetscuh wrote: I do need a new radio,
Our radio are the type mini... it is indeed a tight space
Jetscuh wrote: fix the front bench seat as I sink quite a bit when I sit in it.
I had the same issue, one of the spring broke... I bought some metal rod and remade an equivalent, but this is brutal, I am sure that you can find a replacement from some outfit... thinking... about lmctruck.com... I probably have a pict somewhere of an uncovered bench...
Jetscuh wrote: It also starts with the key sometimes, but someone installed a push button start...as in you put the key in, turn it to "on" and then press the button under the dash and it starts. Weird fix, but ok.
I have installed such a switch on the 85, as after a few tries to adjust my ignition switch, it was never reliable.
Yeaa it is a small space. I wanted something that still had an older look to it, with maybe some modern functions, but most I have found are expensive with somewhat crap ratings. I just don't need something flashy, colorful, etc.

I actually found a fair amount of auto upholstery shops around here, so maybe I'll talk to them about fixing the seat and see what they can do. Or I'll dive into it.

I figured that someone just couldn't get the ignition reliable or fixed 100%, so I'll look into it.

Tearing into the engine now, and I'll be very impressed if the exhaust manifold bolts all come off nicely.

So my front fenders aren't in terrible shape. Did a few things with a wire wheel in the wheel wells, going to do some more stripping and apply a new coating (rubberized). There is some rust, but I don't know if it is worth buying new ones and having them shipped here, or just repairing and go from there.

What I like about posting here, is that you all say "nice, clean, good bones, etc.) whereas most people run screaming or tell me how rotten it is, how much work it needs, etc. Well, duh it's 51 years old and hasn't been in the best of hands, it's not a new car.

All of my pic files are too large, so I need to do some resizing/find an image host.

will e

Post by will e »

Jetscuh wrote:What I like about posting here, is that you all say "nice, clean, good bones, etc.) whereas most people run screaming or tell me how rotten it is, how much work it needs, etc.
I got a bit of a laugh out of this. :)

letank

Post by letank »

Jetscuh wrote: Tearing into the engine now, and I'll be very impressed if the exhaust manifold bolts all come off nicely.
Being out of the country, not too sure if you can get PBblaster to loosen the rusty header bolts. When I had to do mines... it was PBblaster, a little heat, more heat, and repeat. A subsitute for PBblaster is 50% acetone/auto transmission oil -dextron- Then using a breaker bar to apply even pressure, and yes I had to drill some holes in the inner fender to use the socket with an extension. In the end I did not break any bolts...

Some have said that working on a pre heated exhaust manifold is the secret... but working on a hot engine is not the best way in my experience. I used the copper gasket on my 360, you will have to search if they are avail for the 350
Jetscuh wrote:So my front fenders aren't in terrible shape. Did a few things with a wire wheel in the wheel wells, going to do some more stripping and apply a new coating (rubberized). There is some rust, but I don't know if it is worth buying new ones and having them shipped here, or just repairing and go from there.
Ah, ah, ah, most of our vehicle have some rust clinging somewhere, yes grinding, cutting and rust treatment is one of our constant battle.
Jetscuh wrote:All of my pic files are too large, so I need to do some resizing/find an image host.
Use a hosting site, some are free, some will take over your copyright... reading the fine print of those sites is not for the faint of heart... but I am not planning on getting rich by posting my picts or videos... albeit one of my brake bleeding video was seen over 8K
Michel

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

I have LPG on my 81 Cherokee and the tanks sit where the original tank was. Two smaller units.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

Yeah if they put the LPG tank where the original tank was, I'd run it for awhile on just LPG. However, I don't like where the LPG tank sits and I don't want to mess around and try to fit two tanks (prob not even possible) under the Jeep. So the LPG will go within the next year or so - it's low on the list of priorities - bigger fish to fry and all that.

Soo in today's adventure of exhaust manifold bolts and further rust surveillance...going to set myself up with a sandblaster and blast some parts, such as said manifold. Considered taking it somewhere for sand blasting or dry ice blasting but it cost the same or less to make my own set up, and then I have it and can use it for whatever. I'm afraid for someone to sandblast the actual body because I think it'll turn into Swiss Cheese :-|

I have some good size holes in the rear wheel wells- directly behind the tire. I can fit my hand into said hole and dig out much rust from inside the rear quarter panel, fun! Not sure how I am going to fix these holes. I think it's going to get complicated here.

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

Soo... I need to get some more pictures to keep this semi-interesting.

The exhaust manifold came off quite easily so I think someone had it off fairly recently (within a few years). Initially the engine rebuild was going to wait, but as we starting getting into things under the hood, and like I said before, it leaks out of everywhere, we just decided to do it now. Ordered
an engine hoist, engine stand, finding a machine shop, etc. I don't know how many miles are on this thing, so we'll just get the rebuild out of the way.

Also decided to just order (if I can find a place that will ship them) new rocker panels and rear quarter panels. They both have some rust and aren't completely straight so might as well just replace them too.

I tossed around the idea of pulling everything out from under the hood - in the process of removing the front clip and engine block, removing most of the trim and weather stripping myself and finding someone to trailer it to paint. But it is hard to find someone to trailer this - or I can pay an arm and a leg for a tow truck, and again none of these shops will tell me if they will do the job or how much it costs unless they see the vehicle. So I don't want to tow it to like 5 different shops. So may just wait until it's running again. Was going to change the color, but then the whole interior would have to be repainted..so not sure how invasive I want to get.

The grille support is actually in decent shape. There is this other piece kind of under it that is so rusted and gone I cannot tell what it was exactly and don't know what it's called - have to look into that - don't even know what it does really.

Also considering rebuilding the Quadrajet, because again, condition and age unknown - but also considering a Truck Avenger - no desire to go to EFI.

So lots of decisions and things going further than planned.

Also finding some frustrating things with the engine block - aka the PO just shoving metric bolts into places because they were too lazy or cheap to source standard. You can tell what they missed with because they used metric instead of standard. Every time I decide to buy or work on an older or previously owned vehicle I get incredibly frustrated with the previous owners.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Standard to metric might have stripped the threads you would think...
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

ShagWagon wrote:Standard to metric might have stripped the threads you would think...
Sure did! :banghead:

There are some days where I really feel like I should have stuck to the plan of scrapping this thing. :roll:

Got myself sandblasting supplies for the small stuff. Scored a good deal on an air compressor - literally the only positive thing to happen here haha.

Engine hoist and all that got delivered - in the process of removing the front clip.

The post office lost my new aluminum radiator, so that's cool. It was delivered there, yet they can't find it. On the other hand, it won't be ready for a radiator for a long time, so there's that.

Going to tear apart the interior this weekend and see how rotten it is. This thing is so rotten as it is, so I won't be surprised of the interior is junk too (floors and doors). Once I get it all stripped and everything is removed from the engine bay, I'm hoping to get it hauled to paint. Which will also be expensive. I can stick my hand and arms through the back of the rear wheel wells (this is not supposed to happen - huge holes) and just pull out handful after handful of rust flakes. I'm so far into this POS it's too late to junk it, right? :-D