1960 FC170 and a 68 M715?

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1960 FC170 and a 68 M715?

Post by 66stepside »

The yard has been cleaned up after the storm, but the damage to the roof means we had to file a claim. So now we’ll see what is and isn’t covered. Image

I have quite a few parts to degrease:

There’s the last of the snow in the lower left corner of this shot. Haha, not much is left.

Not pictured is the t case, adapter, and passenger side frame rail also needing to be cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The motor mount frame horns are off and done with the first cleaning (scraping off the layers of road and engine-related grime); I’m working on the crossmember and misc tranny-t case mounts, too.

I hope to have everything cleaned up this weekend.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Im surprise that there's any metal lift

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

rocklaurence wrote:Im surprise that there's any metal lift
Hahaha, right!? The stock Hurricane motor leaked like a sieve when I got it to turn over, so I suspect massive oil leaks were the reason it was parked by the PO.

I didn’t get anything done on the herd today, I had to deal with

I’m pretty sure this was the culprit behind the circuit breaker constantly tripping. They’re not supposed to come out in pieces once the cover plate gets unscrewed, right? ImageImageImage

This quarantine-everyone-works-learns-stays home was taxing the 15 amp breaker at the panel for both kid’s room. Something apparently had to give, luckily it wasn’t a fire.

I spent the day replacing outlets, switches and breakers. Those ‘square D’ breakers are in short supply locally. I’m glad that’s over.

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Love the FC... thanks for sharing. Some day, maybe. S

ame for the m715. There is one in Idaho I'm keeping my eye on. It used to be my dad's but he sold it years ago before he passed. It was bone stock and still in pretty good shape. I remember driving it up to Idaho from Southern California for him. That was a long trip!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Laredo Matt wrote:Love the FC... thanks for sharing. Some day, maybe. S

ame for the m715. There is one in Idaho I'm keeping my eye on. It used to be my dad's but he sold it years ago before he passed. It was bone stock and still in pretty good shape. I remember driving it up to Idaho from Southern California for him. That was a long trip!
Thanks for the encouragement. It’s amazing how many older jeeps are still stashed away in this area. Hiding in plain sight, so to speak.

That’s an awesome memory of you riding shotgun on a road trip all those years ago- I bet it WAS a long trip!

We made a similar trip in a Datsun pickup truck from Arizona to Washington way back in the day (the Datsun truck was a dead giveaway on how long ago it was).

It is super cool you know where one is- if it does come up for sale for a decent price, buy it, tinker with it and all those awesome memories will tie in with all the new memories you make building it over time!

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

66stepside wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:35 am

Thanks for the encouragement. It’s amazing how many older jeeps are still stashed away in this area. Hiding in plain sight, so to speak.

That’s an awesome memory of you riding shotgun on a road trip all those years ago- I bet it WAS a long trip!

We made a similar trip in a Datsun pickup truck from Arizona to Washington way back in the day (the Datsun truck was a dead giveaway on how long ago it was).

It is super cool you know where one is- if it does come up for sale for a decent price, buy it, tinker with it and all those awesome memories will tie in with all the new memories you make building it over time!

I was actually old enough to drive it then so I did most of the driving @50mph with mom and dad following. Amazing times!

I've reached out to the owner who lives out of state so will see. Would be a fun project.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Laredo Matt wrote:
66stepside wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:35 am

I was actually old enough to drive it then so I did most of the driving @50mph with mom and dad following. Amazing times!

I've reached out to the owner who lives out of state so will see. Would be a fun project.
You driving it is even better- post up pic on a new thread when you get it!

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Early last year I was driving around the Spokane/Idaho/Montana area and Everyone had 1-2 old trucks in the yard

shortbus4x4

Post by shortbus4x4 »

rocklaurence wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:45 am Early last year I was driving around the Spokane/Idaho/Montana area and Everyone had 1-2 old trucks in the yard
Some of us have way more than that. :D

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Hahaha, I have no comment on the matter- EXCEPT that there are three FSJ’s within 7 blocks, 9 within a 1 mile radius from where I live. ImageImageImage That doesn’t even count my herd!

I honestly think it’s the “remoteness” of Spokane- so far from the West side, etc. we are really geographically isolated. We are the biggest city between Seattle and Minneapolis-St. Paul Minnesota. That’s crazy (but true).

Not too long ago I was at a four way stop in the early AM and all 6 rigs were some kind of jeep vehicle. It would’ve made for a great commercial for JEEP.

Between the isolation geographically, harsh winters, huge outdoor opportunities, I just think folks in this area have always naturally select 4wd and JEEP has always had the market on that since 1945.

Edit:

I was able to clean some FC parts for the second time.

I did wear an apron to help help the grime off of me, though.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I can confirm the pre72 th400 with adapter ring is not meant to bolt up to the 401.

While the spacer of fine, it moves the flex plate too far back to engage the starter. If you flip the flex plate over it fits, but it still seems too far away from the starter to be trusted.

The flex plates are different enough between the 360 and 401 where it doesn’t look like it will work. I don’t want to try it only to find out it’ll screw up the transmission, or worse, the engine.

So either I’m paying 200-300 bucks to have the internals of the th400 swapped in to the later style th400, or I’m running one of my spare 360’s with the spacers.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I can confirm the pre72 th400 with adapter ring is not meant to bolt up to the 401.

While the spacer of fine, it moves the flex plate too far back to engage the starter. If you flip the flex plate over it fits, but it still seems too far away from the starter to be trusted.

The flex plates are different enough between the 360 and 401 where it doesn’t look like it will work. I don’t want to try it only to find out it’ll screw up the transmission, or worse, the engine.

So either I’m paying 200-300 bucks to have the internals of the pre 72 th400 swapped in to the later 1973+ style th400, or I’m running one of my spare 360’s with the spacers.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Flipping the Flex plate will change/reverse the angle of the teeth and the starter will chew it up. Wont-it?

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

rocklaurence wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:31 am Flipping the Flex plate will change/reverse the angle of the teeth and the starter will chew it up. Wont-it?
You're probably right- I hadn't even considered that! I think I'm just going to sell off some jeep stuff to pay for the "internals swap". :(

I called the tranny shop this AM and he quoted 200-300 as long as he doesn't have to put the 2nd tranny back together. sadly (or luckily?)I have plenty of spare th400 trannys.

Argggg. Note to self, always convert the older th400 BOP to the newer AMC cases to avoid problem. Lesson learned.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Ring gears have plain ole straight teeth. Not like hypoid diff gears so I don't think the direction would matter.

But the does the back have the bevels that help the guide starter gear into engagement? If not I could prolly hear it from here every time you tried to start it.

Maybe that's what Rock's talking about.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The two trannies are loaded up in the willy’s and I’ll drop them off when I can get the time.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

It took me awhile to carve out time to mate the re-cased th400 to the AMC 401, but it’s together.

Now onto the hard part; lifting it all into place.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I don’t have to do as much as I expected to the dog house to fit the new radiator; just about 5 minutes with a metal shaping mallet (the hard plastic pear-shapes head type usually used with a lead shot bag). You can see the hammer skillfully holding the top of the radiator.

I’ll be able to reuse the existing mounting hole on the body with spacers; I “just” need to fabricate brackets to keep the top of the radiator in place.

I also noticed one immediate problems: the transfer case shifter is blocked. I have a possible solution, though.

The next possible problem is wether or not the steering linkage will hit the radiator when turning the beast! I have two probable solutions for that if need be: 1) adjust the linkage all the way to the driver’s side just enough to clear it. 2) power steering conversion.

I just hope it clears. There are no easy answers at she is sitting on racks.

Now on to mounting it. Then the engine/tranny goes up and in.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The 4wd shifter linkage has been modified to accommodate the new radiator.

So has that section of the dog house. The inside of the dog house is finalized- the outside will need some minor body work to make it appear more stock.

Note the modified upper right hand side for the 4wd shifter rod. I’ll mate the factory rod to the steel I fab’d to get around the radiator.

It’s painted white enamel to stop any flash rust.