1960 FC170 and a 68 M715?

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1960 FC170 and a 68 M715?

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks- the coast was a good time!

I buttoned up the brake pedal to booster, and finalized the steering column today, but didn’t get to the body mounts yet.

She can steer and stop now. Whew. I’m going to clean the interior and move on to the in-cab wiring next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’m ready to mount the M715 cab, front clip and bed to the frame- the wiring harness is done, and plumbed to run; she started up!

I took a video of the fire up, but can’t post it here- it’s a big relief to have it running. Once the body/bed are securely mounted, I’ll get the gas filler lines plumbed, and see what I can do to get the clutch linkage operational.

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

66stepside wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:01 pm I’m ready to mount the M715 cab, front clip and bed to the frame- the wiring harness is done, and plumbed to run; she started up!

I took a video of the fire up, but can’t post it here- it’s a big relief to have it running. Once the body/bed are securely mounted, I’ll get the gas filler lines plumbed, and see what I can do to get the clutch linkage operational.

That's awesome! Nice hear it start when you turn the key, I'm sure.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Chubbinius wrote:
66stepside wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:01 pm I’m ready to mount the M715 cab, front clip and bed to the frame- the wiring harness is done, and plumbed to run; she started up!

That's awesome! Nice hear it start when you turn the key, I'm sure.
Very true. I hooked up and adjusted the clutch linkage- I’m getting ready to see how it shifts into gear. Finger’s Image

Edit:

Three adjustments and I think the shifter linkage is dialed in- but I have to mount the body to the frame. I drilled two of the main holes tonight. I need more drill bits! Image

YAE:

She’s a runner, driver, stopper! I pulled her out of the shop under her own power this afternoon. Whew.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I wrapped up wiring the rear yesterday (7 hours of tracing and cleaning up bad wires), attached the rear license plate and now I’m wiring the front end- I fabb’d up two brackets for the hood (one for the factory spot on the driver’s side, one for the passenger side to match) for turn signals and parking lights.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Edit:

The two hood brackets are fabricated and ready to mock up. Light options (just turn signal and parking lights) come in three options: orange (came stock on where the pie plates go), mini-blackouts, and the stock tail light / turn signal lights:

The front lights are done for now- I need to fabricate some pieces in order to get the quad light set up- she’s ready worthy now (especially since I just finished welding brackets for mounting the bed!) I cut off the 6 brackets from the m715 bed and reused them with j truck frame mounts.

Grade 8 hardware is in order now. I do plan on adding two more mounts just for overkill purposes.

Edit:

She’s all one color: satin black.

There’s still a lot of body work to do on her, and a lot of little things, too. I’ll knock as much of the list out as possible, but this weekend I’ll be starting on the FC170. When I need a break from it, I’ll tinker with the rest of the fleet. Image

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I dug out an unused heater that came with a Commando basket case I purchased (the Commando is long gone). It’s a HeaterCraft 340 series- meant for boats. I figured I’d use it because A) it’s free (if it’s free, it’s for me!), B) boat stuff is waterproof and a convertible truck needs that?, and C) it throws ALOT of air (needed in an old military convertible). Aside from custom brackets I had to bend up, I’m only into it 6 hours now! Image

Next up, route the wiring, and figure out how to get the air where I need it to go. Although, plumbing the air to the vents can certainly wait awhile.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Nice work on those lights...and the black is a major improvement over the sponge camo look! :P
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Nice work on those lights...and the black is a major improvement over the sponge camo look! :P
Thanks- I’m still working out how to use the stock M715 lights, but they’re so dim, they cannot be safe I’m today’s world. I have 10 stock lights to work with, so I’m just experimenting with LEDs.

Yeah, once I put a clear coat on the white, it was an instant disappointment. Satin Black is what she’ll be. It just means a ton of body work. Weirdly enough, I’m having a hard time finding more cans of Satin Black. It took three stops to find enough cans to finish blocking out the hideous white.

If you look closely you can see the patch panel I welded in to fill in the cab in-between the bed and the cab: roughly 7”. It was the last thing I was able to do today.

My wife took this shot, and the next.

I think she needs 35’s, but it does get up and scoot with that 396.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Thirty Fives--No! 40"s

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

rocklaurence wrote:Thirty Fives--No! 40"s
Hahaha, you’re probably right, but it’ll never fit into the garage!

Edit:

My son and I took her out for a quick trip to the hardware store and he fell in love with it. So he asked if he could start sending her down and doing some body work on her:

I was working out the details of the instrument cluster. Aftermarket gauges are spendy. I’m going to have to plan that one out.

I’m open to suggestions on gauge choices: I can certainly use an FSJ speedo cluster from a 70’s era fsj.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The herd, or 2/3 of the herd.

I wrapped up some serious cleaning up today and finalizing burning in the perches on the 60 front for the FC170 (along with the u bolts). Now she can roll to get the cab off for the engine swap.

Still so much more to do.

Edit:

The steering linkage is up and good enough for getting around the shop (tie rod on the 60 is reversed, and the FC drag link tied into the steering stabilizer slot, but for a better turning radius the drag link needs to be cut/spliced as it turns better one way vs the other way).

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Well, the mobile storage unit is out in the sunshine today. I did have to take the “extra” dually tires off the back end to get her out (I’m digging the way it looks without the extra wheels).

Now to clean her up, load the 401 in the back of the bed and figure out how to make it all come together.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Does your son have a cell #? I need to talk him into the 40's. Its good that he's getting involved. I had my kids work with me all the time when they were young but it never stuck. None of them are Gear Heads--LOL

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Oh, I keep forgetting to ask, how close are you to Down Town Spokane? I spent 4 weeks out there launching the Amazon site there and should have looked you up. :) It seemed that every yard on the way to Pend lake had a '60s era pickup in the front yard--Gold I tell ya!! Gold!!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

rocklaurence wrote:Does your son have a cell #? I need to talk him into the 40's. Its good that he's getting involved. I had my kids work with me all the time when they were young but it never stuck. None of them are Gear Heads--LOL
Hahaha, I feel a bit guilty he has the “CarOwner Virus” like me, but I’m pretty sure there are worse bigs out there to catch!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

rocklaurence wrote:Oh, I keep forgetting to ask, how close are you to Down Town Spokane? I spent 4 weeks out there launching the Amazon site there and should have looked you up. :) It seemed that every yard on the way to Pend lake had a '60s era pickup in the front yard--Gold I tell ya!! Gold!!
I’m about 15-20 minutes from the downtown area. It’s nice down there, but like everywhere, the homeless population has expanded into that area, especially by the downtown mall and Riverfront Park. There is Jeep gold in them thar hills for sure! Next time you’re in town, hit me up and we can have coffee downtown.

shortbus4x4

Post by shortbus4x4 »

I like that non dually FC too, looks good with the single rear tires that way.

sWagon

Post by sWagon »

These are so cool! I am going to have to come take a look at some point! Getting some awesome ideas!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

shortbus4x4 wrote:I like that non dually FC too, looks good with the single rear tires that way.
Thanks! I plan on leaving it that way.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

sWagon wrote:These are so cool! I am going to have to come take a look at some point! Getting some awesome ideas!
Haha, thank you! I gave up on Wagoneers and just have a few trucks now. Perfect distractions during these historic times.