1978 Chief WT - Code Name Gerald

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
irondawg

Re: 1978 Chief WT - Code Name Gerald

Post by irondawg »

It's been a while since I've posted but work continues. I've been working on a few other projects besides the Jeep. My buddy is heading out for a 3 week motorcycle camping trip on his 2018 Triumph Bonnevile and needed help getting it prepped. So we installed side cases, wind screen, and added a few electrical outlets for his heated vest/gloves.

I also finished the upgrades to my sand blasting cabinet. It's been fully caulked with roofing grade caulk, rivenuts were added to make glass changing easier and installed two outdoor light fixtures with 150watts each. Plus added an outlet/switch on the side for the vacuum. It's working pretty good except I want to add a separate air line and air gun to blow off the sand from around the door.

My son has been blasting parts as we go and it's working pretty good except for when you open the door. You can see in the pict where sand falls out.

We've completed the rear axle rebuild, brakes and installed the suspension. All parts were painted with Dupli-color engine enamel semi-flat black. I've found this to be very chip resistant and use it on a lot of the motorcycle builds.

We hung the front springs to check fitment.

Up next is front axle full rebuild.

1978 Cherokee Chief WT in a thousand pieces
Previous Jeep: 2001 Grand Cherokee

will e

Post by will e »

It's coming along nice!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

Great idea on the jack stands on dollies, my workshop gets cramp as well and is nice to be able to move the project around when you need the space.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Yep...when you have limited space they are great for shifting stuff around. You can find them at Harbor Freight on sale usually. My sand blasting cabinet is on caster as well that are big enough to roll up rises in the concrete. Casters are your friends!!

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

More progress. Got the front axle rebuilt. Most difficult thing was setting the pinion preload as the PO had removed the yoke and left the pinion gear exposed to elements. The pinion itself was in good shape but the bearings and shim stack was toast. It took me 7 tries to get the right preload. Not too many pictures as there was a lot of taking things apart and putting back together.

Here you can see the bearing race with all the scoring.

Replacement.

To get the bearing off the pinion, I cut the bearing off and cut into the race and then with a cold chisel and big hammer give it a good whack! That will crack the race and it slides right off.

Install new races.

Here's the old shim stack. A bit torn up.

From here I stopped taking pictures as there was a lot of in and out of the pinion gear. After seven attemps, got the preload dialed into 30 inch/lbs and the backlash to .007.

With that done, we hung the axle and called it a day.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Next up is the axles and brakes. I ran into an issue straight away.

The u-joint cups would not clear the knuckles.

I tried squeezing them more in a vise but they wouldn't budge. These are not spicer, but precision u-joints. I bought the precision brand because they didn't have the pass through hole like the spicers...meaning more metal. Out with the grinder for a little shave.

Next up was dealing with the gap between the knuckle and the axle. From what I researched, there is a plastic cover that 'seals' the gap. Like most know here they end up breaking. So, I had a spare spindle rubber gasket (too many late night orders to BJ's) and thought that would be a good replacement. I put a little rtv on it and stuck it in place.

I stabbed the axle in and looked like it was going to work out great. However, once I put the spindle on and torqued it down, the axle would not turn. There was way too much resistance. I tried putting some lithium grease but that didn't work either. I tried cutting it down but by the time I had it so the axle spun freely, there was a gap. So it came. If anyone has an idea how to seal the front axle, let me know and I'll give it a try.

After eating up a lot of time playing with the axle seal, I wanted to get moving as I'm taking next week off and I had a lot to do, load bearing in the hub, grease everything up, blast, paint, and rebuild calipers, and install the Mile Marker hubs. I also had a couple bad wheel lugs that needed to be replace. So no pictures of that work but did take some shots with everything installed.

And with this work done, I'm all out of parts!! Time to place the next order which will be fuel tank and lines, brake lines, and motor mounts. I'm still torn about what fuel tank to go with. I think I'll start a new post for that. I've tried researching and found most people using Blazer fuel tanks but I get lost on how they mounted it and what straps to use. Or do I bite the bullet and get BJ's big tank!!! I've been drooling over that...Texas is BIG and range is needed!

I'm off to Moab on a motorcycle/camping trip next week so no work getting done till I get back. I do have the 241C transfer case on the way and need to check in on the body shop.

Happy Father's Day!!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

On the u-joints; did you reseat the caps outward against the circlips after trying to squeeze them together?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

SJTD wrote:On the u-joints; did you reseat the caps outward against the circlips after trying to squeeze them together?
Didn't think about that but when I tried squeezing them, they didn't move. I'll have to look if the clips are sitting on the yokes. Is there an issue if they are not?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Could be too much friction against the ends of the cross. If one side moved and the other didn't could have a slight offset. Clips should be seated agin the inside of the axle and the cross floats between with some designed in end play.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Hi y'all!

We are back from Moab. While we were out there I got a call from the body shop that the body was back from the blaster and they got it epoxy primed. There was a few more patches of rust to take care of in the back fender wells but on the whole, the body is in really good shape. I dropped by today to check out the progress. The body is on a rotisserie to make life a little easier.

The passenger side firewall was cleaned up since I'll be installing a Vintage Air heater/AC unit.

Some rust repair has been completed in the fresh air vents.

The worst of the rust.

Little more on the driver side.

All driver side fresh air vent rust taken care of.

Transmission tunnel. I asked the guys to take the heat shield off since the underside will get sprayed with Lizard Skin. I'll need a little more room for dual exhaust.

Roof looks great. I'm keeping the holes for the rack. Filling in the holes for the strips.

They guys will start the body work soon but there's a few cars in front of me to include a LR Disco 110 with custom frame. You can see it in some of the pictures. That frame is a beast! Fully boxed in and lots of cross bracing.

For me, I've got Novak motor mounts on the way and lots of sand blasting to do. I've got to fix the tailgate hinges and get the door and hood hinges ready for the body shop.

I'm also looking at fuel tanks. I would like to get BJ's tank but the cost is high. I know it's premium kit but I didn't budget for a tank of that caliber. I'm leaning towards the 2 door Blazer 19 gallon tank that a lot of folks here use but also looking at the 2 door Tahoe 30 gallon tank. It's roughly the same shape and dimensions. Here's what I found.

Fuel Tank for GMC Blazer 97-05 2-Door Mid-Size 19 Gallon Capacity
Capacity: 19 gallons / 72 liters
Dimensions: 33 x 22 x 10.5

Fuel Tank 30 gallon for Yukon/Tahoe 5.7L V8 2 Door
Capacity: 30 Gallons/117 Liters
Dimensions: 30 1/2 x 24 3/4 x 14 inches

It's 3 1/2 inches deeper than the Blazer tank which may make it hang too low. If anyone has tried the Tahoe tank, please let me know how it worked out.

Treyflies

Post by Treyflies »

Hey hey hey I see a Texas flag hanging over there! Where in Texas are you brother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Treyflies wrote:Hey hey hey I see a Texas flag hanging over there! Where in Texas are you brother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's in my sig but Leander, just north of Austin.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Got the new motor mounts in. These are for Gen V L83. I did some pre-assembly to get familiar with them as there were more pieces than I thought.

I'll start prepping the frame to burn in the mounting plates. Can't wait to get the engine in the frame.

I've order new brake lines and proportion valve and should have those soon.

I think I'm going to try an '05 Tahoe fuel tank. If it hangs too low I'll send it back and get the Blazer tank.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

It's been a while since I posted but for good reasons. First off we had our annual July 4th street BBQ party that's been going on now for 15 years. I've been working on the motor mounts but ran into a problem with my welder most likely cause it sits collecting dust. The gas regulator went out and emptied a full bottle of argon/co2 gas. Also I need a new tip. I've got parts on order and hope to have that taken care of this week. My air line has a leak someplace in the hardline, and my new blasting cabinet isn't blasting. I need to mod the pickup tube as the breather tube section is getting clogged (common issue with HB cabinets).

The other big thing is I'm tired of not having any space in the garage. I'm constantly having to move motorcycles and other things out of the way and then move it all back in. I'm extremely nervous of ruining a fresh paint job once I get the body back. So I bit the bullet and building a 12' x 14' storage shed. I've got a couple guys coming over to help out so we can get it done on the weekend.

SOLSAKS

Post by SOLSAKS »

dang, !!!
nice build !
yours will be as good as jeep-heritage, even better, because you are doing it yourself !
nothing like getting that satisfaction.

I am working on a 76 j10

down to nothing but a frame just like yours was
had the frame and body glass beaded
I used eastwoods after blast to get rid of the orange flash rust
then eastwoods red oxide primer
then their gloss black chassis paint.
I used the internal undercoating too ( but not sure how well I did )

I have to hire mechanical and body work done
I can do some cosmetic stuff and very minor tinkering.

ready for paint and re-assembly........

your Cherokee will be awesome, better than anything coming out of Detroit these days !!!

best wishes.
dave in NC :)

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

SOLSAKS - Thanks for the post! Yeah, it takes a lot of work but it's worth it. If you have a thread would love to see your build.

It's been a while but a lot of work has been going on. Not much on the Jeep but in general. Got the shed built and moved out some clutter from the garage. A week later I get a letter from the HOA telling me a neighbor is complaining that it's too tall and will decrease his property value. Geez. Well he's wrong and confirmed with the city. Also, we have to get all neighbors to sign off on any projects and he is one who signed off. So I'm fighting with him and the HOA. They don't have a leg to stand on but something we are dealing with.

I got the welder working and been practicing. Next week I'll burn the motor mounts in. I've got the brackets aligned and measured about 20 times to make sure there's plenty of clearance for the axle to clear the oil pan on full compression. I set the mounts in the lowest position and can raise the motor about 1 1/2 inches just in case.

Went to the body shop and work is progressing, slowly but progressing and that's okay because I'm not ready to send them the chassis. Most of the rust in the rear fender wells and fender flair have been completed. They found some buckling in the passenger well that was causing the front of the flair not to line up. They suspect the Jeep took a big rock hit from the bottom and pushed up the wheel well. They also found some rust on the passenger side inner fender. A panel was opened up and the inner fender rust cut out and replaced.

Here's the passenger flair metal work. This area was mostly gone.

Here's inside fender.

Driver's side where the panel was opened up and inner metal replaced (can't see that) and then welded back up.

This corner had some buckling and creasing that caused some rust as well.

Next order of business is to source a 6L80e transmission and gas tank. I keep going back and forth on what tank to get. I think I'm going to break the budget and get BJ's tank. The thought of having 27 gallons without carrying any extra fuel is really hard to pass on. Texas is big and there's some stretches of back roads where, if you don't have 200 mile range, you could get in trouble. We also go south to Guaymas in Mexico. It would be nice to fill up on the US side and get there without buying fuel. Just gotta convince the wife... ;)

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I would love be to have 27 gallons. I used a 19gal F-150 tank on my LT1 swap years ago. Now dreaming of a L96/6L90 swap and a bigger tank. Opted for 19 to minimize hanging below the frame, but it won’t see rocks anytime soon, so will go to larger tank and a tow hitch to protect it a bit. Those custom tanks are nice but pricey. But if you are into it as apparently as you are, a few more $$ start seem irrelevant.. ask me how i know!

Looks like they did a nice job on the flares repair. That area is a real bear from what I understand.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

ulfhednar

Post by ulfhednar »

Any chance youre still looking for adapters/conversion parts for the 6l80? Tried to send PM, but not sure if there's something wrong with the messaging system on my end. Everything gets stuck in the outbox. Thanks.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Howdy!

First off for those following the build...I do apologize and know how frustrating it is to start watching a build and then not getting any updates for a long time. It's down right embarrassing on how long it's been. :shock: :banghead:

Unfortunately life did get in the way with kids and school and other projects I committed to. As I write this I'm sitting at my client's office as they kick off a project that was rushed like many nowadays. But I'm on the down slope of work and commitments and hope to spend more time on the Jeep.

At the same time, for those in central TX, this is the time of year that have many events going on. One event, Harvest Classic, is a vintage motorcycle event to help candle lighters. If you don't know who they are, look them up, they do good things and ALL proceeds go to the candle lighters. I agreed to help build 3 bikes, 1980 Yamaha GT80, 1974 Hodaka Road Toad, and a 1967 Honda Mini Trail. There were others I that I helped on here and there as well. Not only that, it's my daughter's first year in high school and she joined the ROTC and they asked for volunteers so my wife signed me up.

Working on the Jeeps been tough but any free time I had did go to the Jeep and actually made quite a bit of progress...considering.

Last I left off I was looking for a 6L80 tranny and getting the motor mounts installed.

After measuring many many times and testing fitting the engine, I decided to move the mounts flush with the frame as the engine would have been sitting pretty high.

So we dropped the mounts down a bit and burned them onto the frame.

Topic author
irondawg

Post by irondawg »

A buddy came over and we hung the motor to check the placement. First a little paint.

We first had it on the lower mounting points but wasn't enough room for suspension.

So we moved it to the top mount and should be good to go. I had the inner fenders and rad support to mock things up. Straps to hold the motor down till we get the transmission in. If you look close you'll see a big black box!!!

It's not a good picture (angle is off) but you can see the space between the axle and the oil pan. The motor is 1 1/4 over to the driver side per Novak's instructions.