1990 Grand Wagoneer Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Hspencer

Re: 1990 Grand Wagoneer Build

Post by Hspencer »

The led flasher won’t have any effect on the standard incandescent bulbs. Led’s Don’t daw much current and a normal flasher sees it as a bulb being out. I would just rewire using the online instructions and see what happens. Hopefully you didn’t fry anything on the circuit board.

Keep us posted.
1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

Hspencer

Post by Hspencer »

Any luck?
1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Nothing super exciting, but I redid the battery cables with military-style terminals and some 2/0 cables from batterycablesusa.com. Pretty impressed with their quality and low price!

I’ve been trying to pay attention to quality on little projects like this, so dielectric grease all around, 3M electrical tape, and split loom over the cables.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good battery? I used a DieHard in my TJ and it’s been great, but the Sears in town went out of business about 3 months ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Grand Wagoneer
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16762

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

For regular batteries, liquid filled, I always buy Interstate Batteries. I even run them on my Dodge Ram 3500 diesel.
On my off roading Jeep, I run Optimas dry cell.

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

ScramblerCJ8 wrote:For regular batteries, liquid filled, I always buy Interstate Batteries. I even run them on my Dodge Ram 3500 diesel.
How is the Optima performing/holding up? I heard that their production went to Mexico a few years ago and they haven't been the same since.
1990 Grand Wagoneer

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

I got dual batteries on my Jeep cj, red top runs the vehicle electrical and yellow top runs the winch, about 7 years old and still holding up good.
I think these are USA made.

derf

Post by derf »

Jeepin' Pete wrote:
ScramblerCJ8 wrote:For regular batteries, liquid filled, I always buy Interstate Batteries. I even run them on my Dodge Ram 3500 diesel.
How is the Optima performing/holding up? I heard that their production went to Mexico a few years ago and they haven't been the same since.
That was over a decade ago. They're back to good quality now.

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

I had a little down time today so naturally I messed around with the wagon. I updated the to an TFI a while ago, but it still had the factory coil bracket that I cut up to fit the Ford coil.

Some cutting, grinding, drilling, and a lot of filing later, I ended up with this:
And here it is all mounted up:

While in the area I found what a factory looking black connector and a ring terminal that come off the engine harness right near the coil. The way I got the Jeep the ring terminal was connected to the coil mount and the plug wasn’t connected. Anyone know what these are for? Something to do with the ballast resistor?

1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

I had a little down time today so naturally I messed around with the wagon. I updated the to an TFI a while ago, but it still had the factory coil bracket that I cut up to fit the Ford coil.

Some cutting, grinding, drilling, and a lot of filing later, I ended up with this:
And here it is all mounted up:

While in the area I found what a factory looking black connector and a ring terminal that come off the engine harness right near the coil. The way I got the Jeep the ring terminal was connected to the coil mount and the plug wasn’t connected. Anyone know what these are for? Something to do with the ballast resistor?

1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

The ignition schematic from the '90 TSM shows a capacitor that connects to the positive terminal of the coil. Is this the black connector I'm seeing?
1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Another question for the FSJ experts: I'm in the middle of putting in an electric fuel pump and when taking out the old mechanical pump I noticed it has a return line. Provided I use a fuel filter with a return before the carb (which has its own metal return line), I can remove the metal return line from the old mechanical pump, right?
1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

The electrical system update is coming along.
I needed a place to mount relays and circuit breakers so I fabricated a heat shield for the battery that can mount relays on the battery side to protect them from the engine heat. It is held in by the radiator bolts and a bolt under the battery. I painted it with engine enamel and faced the backside with adhesive heat shield material. Not yet on the pictures below is the revolution electronics fuel pump controller.

1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

I also stripped the gas tank skid down, strengthened a few areas, and coated the whole thing with POR-15 and then some POR undercoating. I added some flat bar to the mounting holes along the frame and some 12 ga. sheet to the upper inside face to mount a Holley Red electric fuel pump. Image

Because that area is pretty close to the exhaust, I made a heat shield from some aluminum sheet, and faced it with leftover heat shield material.
In theory I have enough room for the driveshaft to not contact the pump or heat shield, but I’ll have to test fit to be sure.

1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Here is the battery box I’m using: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tgi-301347-kit/
I picked it because the back face of the box is flat with no protruding bolts for the air intake hose which runs right there. I welded a few tabs to the battery box so that stock mounting locations are used.

To finish the recap of the past few months, I started installing the twin stick kit from RockLaurence. Cutting a hole in your rust-free floorboard is little nerve wracking!

1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Here is the battery box and heat shield mounted in the engine bay. There’s plenty of room to hang more relays for fog lights etc. down the road.
And here is the NP229 twin stick kit from RockLaurence installed. It took a fair bit of work, but mainly just due to the tight space. I emailed Rocky and he said to drop the transfer case just a little to make things easier, and I probably should have done that. I like the old-school 4x4 feel, but more importantly the reliability of no vacuum for 4WD.
I had to round the corners off of the post mount to fit in between the case housing and the hi/low range arm, and I added some flanged bronze bushings to keep everything pivoting smoothly.

1990 Grand Wagoneer

BubbaBudd

Post by BubbaBudd »

Hey I'm building mine right now and was very interested in this build I was wondering if there were any updates?
Jack Budd,
1990, Grand Wagoneer,
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=23183
1989, Toyota Pickup

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

I have the BJ's LED taillight kit in my J-10, but not all wires get hooked up.Red is NOT connected on mine

But for sure black and yellow, got connected. :D
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon