1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Re: 1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Post by FLeetFox »

Thanks Idecan, especially for the pic. I agree with your points as well. I'm going to wait until spring to mess with them, but I'll likely end up doing what you did; cutting and filling until they look right. Right now I'm focused on at least a dozen other things. The electrical is almost giving me aneurysms.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

ldecan

Post by ldecan »

In order to make the step move I ground out a fairly large area on the back side where the horizontal meets the vertical (the radius) then flexed it into position, held it steady, and then re-glassed it. Since this area is also one that is prone to cracking I had no problems with laying some extra glass in and around that area. You just want to make sure the area is clean and roughed up very well when you lay in the new glass.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Alright so in my last post I made a punch list of things I wanted to get accomplished before year end. I guess we can call this a status update.

#1 Power steering and alternator.
Simple enough. PS, no big drama, just took some time to get it all laid out right. Alternator. Upgraded to CS144a Alt and added AC brackets. The truck had it once but it had been deleted when I got it, well partially. Took a good while to get all the right bolt sizes and spacers together to make it all work right. Still missing the 2 brackets that go behind the alt.

Image[/url]1208191500 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1208191358 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

In the interest of getting boxes out of my living room, skipped ahead and put the headers on as well.

#2 Braking system.
No change here ATM, need to order Parking brake cables to finish up. Will likely have to have the rearmost two made.

#3 Aux fuel tank
Tank is in place, have most of the pieces, have not addressed yet

#4 Sound/ Heat proofing interior
In order to move forward and really get going bolting things back on, the cab needed to be insulated. Was hoping to start with the firewall and work backwards. Nope, floor needed to be done first. So....just went ahead and did 90% of the interior. asphalt/rubber based strips and dynamat pads strategically placed:

Image[/url]1203191347 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

1/2 inch foil/cloth/rubber w/ PSA backing:

Image[/url]1208191500b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

]Image[/url]1208191501 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1208191500a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

The last pics show things a little further on with some components tested fitted in. A note on this step. I chose to purchase some pre-cut "kits" from Acoustishield as a time saver. The products are billed to fit the Gladiator from 62-92. I purchased several of their items, but they do offer a complete kit. We went with the cowl kit, the floor kit and a firewall pad. The cowl kit fit fine. The Floor kit was well appointed, but it was basically a chero/ wag kit that needed cutting down. The Firewall pad is a nice piece, thick mat, with an ABS cover. But it is was definitely made for the early model trucks. It took a good amount of work to get it to fit, and a number of additional holes and cutouts to make it work on my 82 cab. Not complaining, just putting it out there if anyone is looking at this option. Customer service from them was great.

Image[/url]1208191501a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

#5 Wiring harness updates, adaptations, etc..

This picture kinda sums up where I'm at with that:

Image[/url]1118192237 by
highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

I procured a steering column (and a bunch of other parts) from a junkyard 86. This allows to me to move a bunch of functions from the dash to the column. Luckily I grabbed all the harnesses from the same truck so I'm basically going circuit by circuit and transplanting what I need/ want into my 1982 harness. Not trying to reinvent the wheel, but based on the time investment so far, i may well be. I would say I'm about 20% of the way there on this part. Lights/brights, wipers, cruise and ignition are all done. Ammeter bypass/ elimination and HVAC are next, last will be the instrument cluster.

Other stuff. Converted from a 727 to a th400 with a Novak adapter to keep the NP208. This resulted in the drivetrain being roughly 3 inches longer than what was in there originally. Moved the trans cross member back to the second set of holes and reworked the original torque arm to make it work with the adapter (by basically deleting most of it.)That left me with a few remaining issues to deal with to get the swap to work. The driveshafts need to be changed. Rear is too long, front is too short. ...next month, maybe.. Secondly, I need to source the shift linkage and kickdown parts. Thirdly, I need all new parking brake components from a th400 truck, further complicated by the D60 out back, (next item on that list.)and Lastly, the transfer case shift linkage was all wrong. I only took a few pics well into it as I felt like I was on a roll. In summary, I clocked the case down about 5 degrees to improve drive line angle. There are 3 settings on the adapter, so it's not like it was a NASA project. Then ground the mounting bracket some on the stock shift linkage to fit on the adapter. Last part was to shorten the shift rod that attaches the main linkage to the interior "flag" shifter.

Measure, mark, measure again, add alignment marks, cut out 2" section of rod, test fit, remeasure, tack, test fit, full weld and add brace. The weld was probably plenty strong, but why not reinforce it while I'm there? no clearance issues. Shifter operates as stock and looks stock as well:

Image[/url]1208191357 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1208191411 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

So that's where I'm at right now. Next steps are installing the heater parts, finishing up the primary and parking brake systems, fitting the dash and completing the steering. I'll get to that extra gas tank at some point... right now I'm happier working front to back.

Fleet Fox

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Excellent progress! I had not said it yet but great shade of green! I'm also amazed any company made any kind of FSJ-specific sound deadening kit. I mean, I haven't been looking but it still surprises me that exists. Cool!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Honchoman1

Post by Honchoman1 »

FLeetFox wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:05 pm 66 Stepside, much appreciated and thank you. Still a long ways to go but making forward progress.

Dustin, looks like yours had similar issues, and by the way your describing the fitting process, I'm right there too. Thank you for the tip on the epoxy, i was thinking about using that Loctite 2 part marine epoxy as well. 3 Additional questions

1. Did you reinforce the mounting flange with metal brackets or just trust it to do it's job as is?

2. Mine came with only one busted step in the bed. Is there supposed to be a rod bracket that goes from the rear bottom corner of the fiberglass to the bed box on both sides in the rear? Similar to the very front of the outer front fenders to the radiator support?

3. Did you use any type of gasket material between the fiberglass and the metal bedside?

Thanks again,

Fleet Fox
The glass fenders have a round metal bracket the goes from the bedside to the fender and is embedded with a small washer just to the rear of the wheel openings.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Thank you Honchoman, that's what I thought. I will be making them from stock when I pull the fenders back out in a couple months.

And Twisted, thanks again for your compliments. There's stuff out there but godd it can be hard to find sometimes. Amc, Willy's hobbies have been good searching points. Plus i keep a few LMC truck catalogs lying around, Chevy, Ford and Dodge. You might be surprised at how much stuff is common and interchangeable on our trucks. Lots of common part numbers.

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Some updates. A lot of little stuff getting done. Items being checked off lists. Drove down to Watson and Son's around the holidays and picked up some linkages, wiring harnesses and other little stuff on my list. I felt like I was blocked from moving on until i got the trans sorted out. It's now done. Same goes for the parking brake cables. I ended up using stock J20 cables and using screen door springs to keep them up out of the way as the cables were for a long bed truck. I have yet to test the set up, so we will see.

Sound and heat proofing the cab is done. It seemed like a good time to put some shiny stuff on. New rear window and Chrome reinstalled. Crummy pic:

Image[/url]1229191400a by highsiera,

Then started work on the Aux fuel tank. I picked up a used tank from the last run of 2 door blazers. Mounted in the spare tire hole. I think it's a 28 gal tank. Purchased a new sender/ pickup assembly and gutted the brackets for the in tank pump. This truck will be carbureted. Ran lines to where a GM transfer switch will be to feed the main fuel and return lines from the stock tank and the aux tank. This is basically the same set up as 73-87 GM trucks with dual saddle tanks. The rub of course is that the GM sender uses a different resistance than the Jeep sender. 2 wires, 2 fuel gauges, fine. done. I'm not smart enough to add a resistor panel to lower the resistance. I don't even know if it can be done. ANYWAYS, here's the layout in pictures. I will add more pics when the stock tank is in and everything is plumbed. The plan is to add hard lines once the bed and the other tank is in and I figure our exhaust routing etc..

Image[/url]1215191407 by highsiera,

Image[/url]0104201853 by highsiera,

Image[/url]0104201852 by highsiera,

Image[/url]0104201853a by highsiera,

Image[/url]0104201853b by highsiera,

So one list gets shorter and another gets longer. Reviewing some upholstery choices for the interior. Continuing to bolt things onto the engine. Prepping body panels for reinstall. That's pretty much the January list.

Since I like to set goals. By March I'd like to have the motor ready to test run and the front clip mostly installed. The wiring will be the biggest obstacle here, but i am making headway on that.

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

End of January update. The last few weeks have been spent on what feels like 100 little things. The engine compartment is just about done, except the wiring harness. There is a bare bones harness now that will allow me to start and run the motor. I am building on that, circuit by circuit to run everything that will be added later. Cooling system is almost done, waiting on the trans cooler and lines/ fittings. Carb installed, fuel lines about done, linkage...working on it. Primed the oil pump with a drill and reset timing. About ready for a test run.

Image[/url]0119202130 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Still buffing out the paint on panels, etc. But started working on the doors. Step one, vent window assemblies. So grateful for other posts here and on the mothership from others who have done this. So far it's been painless. If you take your time and remember how everything came apart. Wetaherstrip and felts from BJ's, rivets, tool from LMC truck (chevy, 70s). tool turned down to fit on the drill press with a flat file.

]Image[/url]0124201729 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0124201751 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

The weather was nice on Saturday, so outside she went for the first time in months. I've been battling an awful head cold for a few days, so I'm just drained. It's like work for a few hours then sleep for a few hours and try again.

Image[/url]0125201410 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

After this pic we dropped the bed back on the frame. But like an idiot, I forgot to take pictures. I would like to thank my friend Sam (again) and his family for helping with that. Can't say that enough.

Lastly, a glamour shot of the Honcho with his big Brother, the ultimate Full Size Jeep, 1971 AM General m817 5 ton. Soon to be departing for redeployment in another theater under a new commander.

Image[/url]0125201603a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Next update I promise some sheet metal pics.

Fleet Fox

will e

Post by will e »

Thanks for the updates! I enjoy following along with your build. You've put a lot of time and so much effort into this rig. But it feels like you are getting close. Keep up the faith!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

MReese Wagoneer

Post by MReese Wagoneer »

FLeetFox wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:19 pm So I have spent the past month of weekends

Image[/url]1005191811b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

I want to get the bed out of the shop for now
I have been told I get 2 more unfettered weekends
So did she make you sleep in the Bed you are making !!! lol :funnypost: I see the blankets in the bed
:fsj:
New 83 Wagoneer Brougham
old 99 Grand Cherokee Limited
http://www.mandgoilandlube.com

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Every g*&@!#&n nite for the past 2 years. I usually work with the doors closed, out of sight out of mind!

Fleet Fox

(actually she's been a real saint about this build.)

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

A friend: "whatcha been up to man?"

Me: "nothing much."

Image[/url]0227202221 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

[Image[/url]0227202221b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0227202221a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

3 harnesses into 1 good one. 79,82,86. Ammeter delete/ bypass, adding power seats, windows, door locks, mirrors using oem harnesses, switches and components. Moving along very slowly, but moving along. Using the 79 harness to carve off the wiring for the TH400 and the power accessories. I need to get this done soon. It's holding up other aspects of the project. Plus once it gets warm here, I need to be outside quite a bit.

In other developments, installed some a/c parts (drier/ condensor), stock fuel tank, trans cooler, lots of little stuff. We did start and run the motor briefly, but the timing needs to be dialed in. So again, waiting on the power system.

Image[/url]0301201534 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Oh, and I'm supposed to be finishing off the basement in the background... Rome was not built in a day..

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Still here, still working. Officially we have begun year 3 on this project. Not frustrated, not losing steam, still chugging forward methodically. So in the the lag between posts I have continued to debug my electrical harnesses. Choosing to integrate many parts of the 1986 harness into the 1982 harness has been full of surprises. Let's just say other than the terminals used, they don't play well together. I don't have any real pictures on this, but i think many of you are familiar with the Packard 56 terminals and connectors. I have become very adept at dislodging, crimping and shuffling these terminals around as of late. The engine wiring harness is now complete. The front light harness is 95% done including the addition of a Serehill harness for the headlights. The rear frame harness is still giving me a few fits. The TSM diagrams really don't have a good schematic for the sportside, But the light went off in my head when I ordered new tail lights, for a CJ. The wiring schematic for a cj was spot on. So anyways, still going function by function and weeding out the gremlins.

In the midst of all this I have gotten the motor running and have the timing close but not quite. I posted several videos on my Flickr account but the sound is poor, Straight pipes, metal building, too close etc.. So after getting that right I tested the trans to see how the shifts were. Houston we have a problem. Forward, 1,2 fine. No reverse. Darn. If you skip back to the first page of this thread, I recount how I bought the trans for almost nothing, it came with a rebuild kit. I rebuilt it myself. I apparently am bad at rebuilding transmissions. So I yanked it and the transfer case out and took it to my local guy. Long story short, a new case, another seal kit and a few small parts later and we were back in business. Bruce at Performance Transmissions was great, had it back to me in a week and explained everything I did wrong. every. single. thing. I have no regrets about having tried (and failed).

Ready to reinstall.

Image[/url]0502201955 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Also added a new torque converter. After much debate and discussion it was decided that the stock 13" converter with a 1500-1800 stall was best for this application. The transfer case rebuild I did was flawless. So I have that going for me...

Image[/url]0502201955b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

For those curious, it was 4 hours to get them out and 4 to get them back in. I went to buy a trans jack and HFT was out of stock so I settled for a motorcycle lift and built cribbing to make it all work. Not having a hood or a windshield in made access much easier.

So anyways, the project for the rest of the month is continuing on the electrical. Finish up the external harnesses and bolt on the rest of the front clip. A few teasers; the upholstery shop has been busy, updated a/c pieces have been acquired, the sandblaster has been busy and the "paint booth" is getting cleaned out.

Thanks for reading.

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Working away. Lately the jeep project has been playing a second and sometimes third fiddle to some other stuff in my life. I have a decent size remodel project ongoing in my basement at home which takes up week nights now and there's everything else that goes with life. Basically it's come down to 2 nights and one weekend day a week to make progress on this truck. But the good news is things are staring to come together. The front clip is now fully on including an upgraded relay harness for the headlights and Hella H4s.

Image[/url]0523202219 by highsiera,

The front brush bar and Warn winch bumper got sand blasted and a repaint and these are (mostly) installed.

Image[/url]0628201611 by highsiera,

The roll bar also got blasted and I shot that in a nice off white. Ready to be installed:

Image[/url]0607201508 by highsiera

The tailgate is finally painted and the decals applied. I'm waiting for some of the doo dads to arrive to finish up the chains and such.

Image[/url]0628201615 by highsiera

I also reworked the LH step side to a point where I'm happy with it and shot in base and clear. Then buffed out all my mistakes:

[Image[/url]0628201617 by highsiera

]Image[/url]0628201617a by highsiera

So this is where I'm at. This coming weekend I hope to bolt the step side on and finish up the tailgate area. From there I will start working over the right hand step fender which is much more out of whack. Thanks for continuing to follow along. I will try to post updates more often .

Fleet Fox

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

That must be awesome to have that step fender looking so good. I remember how it was way back when you got it. Great job straightening it out!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Wow! Its looking great and like you said about rebuilding the transmission-Not sorry for trying. :D I like to know how things work--I may not have time to do the work but Ill give it a shot if I do. If I screw it up, Ill pay the cost to do it again or pay someone to fix it. :)

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Rock, you are dead right. It was a little disappointing yes, but truth is I didn't trust my work 100% and now I know it's solid. Twisted, thanks! Here's a few teasers in between long posts (from last weekend):

Image[/url]0712201554 by highsiera

Image[/url]0712201553a by highsiera

More soon,

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Long time between updates, I apologize. The past 2 months of weekends have been relatively productive though. As you can see in the last pics, The front clip is now fully on with the grille, bumper and other parts installed. The roll bar has been reinstalled in the bed as well.

mid way:

Image[/url]0628201611 by highsiera

I located a set of Marchal 851s and cleaned them up the best i could. The housings are actually plastic and the chromer wouldn't touch them. So I just gently polished them, cleaned the lenses, new bulbs and covers. Was lucky and scored all the needed harnesses as well as the switch and relay pigtail when they were purchased. Some foxes for the Fox...

Image[/url]0906201826a by highsiera

The majority of the time has been spent on the fiberglass step sides though. If you recall, the step portions of both fenders were a bit twisted. The left side was better than the right. That one i just ground a bunch of glass off the back side and reset with new epoxy and mat. The right side was a different story.

Image[/url]0811191525b by highsiera

I ground until it was paper thin and still couldn't get it right. So more drastic measures were undertaken.

Image[/url]0726201338a by highsiera

Image[/url]0726201338 by highsiera

Just cut the darn thing off and start again...uggh.. After reattaching the limb, epoxy, mat, putty and several hours of thumb sanding the radii:

Image[/url]0810202044 by highsiera

At this point, they are both painted and installed, but I didn't get pics last weekend. Will be more diligent this weekend, I promise. All that's left in the sheet metal department is the driver's door and the hood. The hood came back into the shop for a cut and buff, and the decal layout:

Image[/url]0906201826 by highsiera

Next up is the last door and the hood install (not looking forward to that honestly.) Then some final interior prep. I also need to get the rear driveshaft rebuilt and balanced. Then things will get interesting.

Fleet Fox

freehold

Post by freehold »

In my world (higher ed), the phrase "ABD" means "all but dissertation," i.e., a doctoral student has completed coursework and simply lacks writing and defending a dissertation in order to graduate.

In your world, ABD means you've got the exterior finished "all but doors"! Great work!!
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

SOLSAKS

Post by SOLSAKS »

great work fleet
came to this site for first time in a while
I like the hood decal shot....

dave in NC:)