My 91 Phoenix Build Thread

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
E_DIGG

Re: My 91 Phoenix Build Thread

Post by E_DIGG »

Stuka wrote:Your brake lines should be fine for only a 2". At 4" they are fine for street, but are short for flexing.

Yup but I already bought a new one since I am going the hydroboost route so I got the longer one any way.
1991 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
E_DIGG

Post by E_DIGG »

Well it is time to get back to work on the Jeep. I would like to get it done by winter so I have something to drive in the snow. I finally got all the springs and track bar extensions hooked up and not much else since then. I found out the answer in another post about the brake cables. They were too short after the lift but I soon realized that the ends can unscrew from the metal sheathing to make them a little longer. I am thinking that I am going to put the engine back in next but the engine builders have the flex plate and they are 45 minutes away. I don't see that I will be going their way any time soon so I called them yesterday and they will ship it out to me.
1991 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
E_DIGG

Post by E_DIGG »

8 months later, I finally got off my arse and did some work. Hard to work with no heat in the winter and to dang busy with 3 kids. I got the new brake line installed and the gas tank reinstalled.

I found some speed nuts that I primed and painted to keep the rust away but they are a perfect option for the skid plate.

I don't remember what this bolt went to. It is in the front of the skid plate towards the drive shaft.
1991 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
E_DIGG

Post by E_DIGG »

Today I removed the old transmission input seal and thought I punched a hole in the trans!
Fortunately I was told that is supposed to be there! Phew!
New seal installed. Used a PVC pipe to install new one and did a perfect job.
Got all the new brake lines installed.
Attempted to install engine but not successful.
1991 Grand Wagoneer

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Where did you get those brake lines to the master cylinder? Did you bend them up or order them? They look good. Also, from here, the paint match on your engine bay looks like it came out real close to your stock silver color. Looking very, very good.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
E_DIGG

Post by E_DIGG »

twisted frame wrote:Where did you get those brake lines to the master cylinder? Did you bend them up or order them? They look good. Also, from here, the paint match on your engine bay looks like it came out real close to your stock silver color. Looking very, very good.
BJ's. I replaced them all. Upgrading to hydroboost and didn't want anything to fail. The one line going from proportional valve to rear axle was not the same as original but it worked and the different bends are behind the tank anyway.

Yes the paint is pretty darn close. It was rattle can from Advance. I had the old hood to practice on and very close. Being in the engine bay and once all the components are in there, it could have been 3-4 shades different and nobody would notice. Fortunately for me that Ford or Nissan has the almost exact same color.
1991 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
E_DIGG

Post by E_DIGG »

Sunday I had issues trying to install engine and had a few questions about the correct procedure in installing the engine. I got back quite a few responses from knowledgeable people. First the torque converter was not fully seated. You can see in this pic what I was working with.

To fully seat it you need to wiggle it up and down and left right while pushing in. I had to rotate it a little as well. Took all of 5 minutes. This is what it looks like when properly seated. The bolt tabs are about 1/2 inch behind lip of bell housing. You can ss in the pics I used a metal pipe to lay across front lip.

After that I was able to align the trans up to the engine and I was able to put the two bottom bolts in. The driver's side was a real pain. Major blood loss from arms keeping them in the air for so long! This is where I left it last night. Still need to get motor mounts installed. Engine was pulled towards back so I let it rest just below normal position since it has been sitting upwards for about a year now.

Also while I was under the Wag, took a pic of this which you don't see very often.
1991 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
E_DIGG

Post by E_DIGG »

I had a little extra time this weekend! :mrgreen: :-bd

1991 Grand Wagoneer

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Mmmmmm, puuurty... :-bd :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
E_DIGG

Post by E_DIGG »

Havn't done didly squat in quite awhile until yesterday. I was cleaning up the garage and organizing my space and realized that I left out the front tank strap under the skid plate. So that all had to come off again. I got the Flex plate mounted to the torque converter, installed the radiator (looks like a nice one and a great fit) and some hoses. Cleaned up and painted the alternator brackets. Carb is there but not bolted down yet. Took inventory of what I have and what else is needed.

1991 Grand Wagoneer

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

WOW!
I've never seen the 5.9L casting! That's very cool!

Your rig is looking great by the way.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
E_DIGG

Post by E_DIGG »

Well it has been 5 years since I have touched the Jeep and I am now getting motivated to finish it up! My daughter is a Senior in HS and she wants to be able to drive it before she graduates. I just ordered more parts that I need to get the ball rolling again. Since the last time I worked on it, I have moved across the river to MD and I have a nice garage that is attached to the house and has plenty of room. Here is a pic of of where I am now. Not much different. I need to rebuild the rear brakes, connect rear brake lines, swap engine harness with replacement, install accessories, A/C and other tid bits.

1991 Grand Wagoneer

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

Nice, I don't feel bad now. My 89 GW has being sitting in the back of my shop for almost four years, and my J truck for two. Things keep coming up and priorities change. I'm hoping to get the GW project started this coming summer, with an LS engine and 4L60E transmission swap.
I should have my baby Jeep project done by spring time and out of the shop, unless Murphy's law throw me a wrench,

Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

Nice work on your 91!
Last edited by Driftwood on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Wagoneer

will e

Post by will e »

Good to see you back at it. I spent some 'quality' time under my rig yesterday. Now that I am in my mid fifties this stuff isn't as easy as it used to be! Good luck on the progress, having a goal is a good motivator and your daughter will be happy.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Cool to see you are back at it, I keep postponing working on mine too, afraid that I will be having it on stands for a couple of years rather than driving it.
Following your build, hope to see you finishing it so your daughter can drive it. good work!
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

Updates?
1979 Wagoneer