Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Adventure_Wagon88 wrote:Is the tailgate fully functional? If so it definitely wouldn't be high on the priority list for me, and just shop around until you find one worth replacing it with. Being out in CO I would imagine that shouldn't be a statistical improbability! I'm definitely not a "body guy", but I've done a fair bit of body work, and damage on a strong body line like that, [presumably] causing fitment issues, isn't something I would waste my time messing with. Unfortunate, because it looks like very solid body panel otherwise. Maybe it can serve as a lower skin for someone who has a rusty one. If it were me, I just know I would spend 20+ hours trying to get it halfway decent and then still have fitment issues and get really frustrated and wish I had just gone with a new gate right away. How badly dented is the replacement one you have? If they're just nick and ding type then maybe start tooling on that one to get it set to replace this one and leave the original in service until it's ready to swap?
The original tailgate which is on the Jeep is not working. The PO did some weird efforts to try and make the window go up and down but ended up screwing it all up. The replacement/donor tailgate is dented even worse but it functioned fine. I may see if a body shop can pull the dent out. The entire Jeep won't be getting painted for a long while so it's more function and fitment over aesthetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

So we took a trip to storage today to pick up the Christmas stuff. While there we gave Walter another examination and have begun to formulate our plan of attack to get it on the road. After jumpstarting it and letting it warm up I think my intent to slap the fuel injection on asap is going to have to wait. Nikkormat suggested to hold off and I believe he's correct. Thanks brotha!
What I did notice was a pretty good steam of oil coming from the RMS. Ugh. I hate changing those! Image
Better to do it while the exhaust will be out and I can get it changed.
The replacement exhaust should be fairly straightforward as all it needs are two new hangers. ImageImageImage
Hopefully it bolts up easy peasy and the magniflow muffler sounds ok. I heard some rattling in the old cat so it's probably part of why the existing exhaust seems clogged some. Will run without a cat for now and see how it does.
It's interesting how my issues with the Jeep are different from hers. Since it will be her DD, I'm trying to accommodate her wishes but it's not easy. She wants a fancy stereo and speakers. Uh, ok? But isn't being able to get back and forth to work reliably more important? ImageImage
Guess when the time comes I'll have to call in some friends to help with a wrench-o-thon. Lots to do and little time.
I'll be glad when it's done so I can return to my stuff and we stop raiding my hard won stash of parts. Today she saw this:
And asked if it would fit. Imagesince the 91 plastic grill is cracked and delaminating. Ugh. So much for my future wall art collection.

Nikkormat

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Today she saw this:
And asked if it would fit. Imagesince the 91 plastic grill is cracked and delaminating. Ugh. So much for my future wall art collection.
The fact that she's starting to make it hers is a good sign. That means she likes it!

As far as the radio goes again don't over complicate it. Most modern aftermarket radios SUCK! These don't: http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jensen-a ... tereo.html

Pair one of those with some new high quality speakers in the stock size and location. Crutchfield sells direct plug in harnesses for the radio to vehicle wiring. Easy peasy.

Plus, that radio actually has a knob to control the volume. NOT A TINY BUTTON THE SAME SHAPE, SIZE, AND COLOR AS EVERY OTHER BUTTON ON THE RADIO! Why can't anyone get that right?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

As for the springs I say hold off too, a lift kit is only a weekend project. Let her drive it at stock height first to see of she likes it at car height and likes the soft ride. If she does all you'll have to do is throw some stock height front springs from BJ's under it one weekend. Make sure it's got good shocks though. That pillowy ride will get annoying if it makes you seasick to drive it. I really like the gas charged shocks that are under the well worn springs of my 1990. Soft but not too soft in the corners. And plenty of dampening.

Those springs look on Walter look bad, but nowhere near dangerous.

BTW... BJ's lift springs come from Alcan. Stock springs come from India.
Last edited by Nikkormat on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Today she saw this:
The fact that she's starting to make it hers is a good sign. That means she likes it!

As far as the radio goes again don't over complicate it. Most modern aftermarket radios SUCK! These don't: http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jensen-a ... tereo.html

Pair one of those with some new high quality speakers in the stock size and location. Crutchfield sells direct plug in harnesses for the radio to vehicle wiring. Easy peasy.

Plus, that radio actually has a knob to control the volume. NOT A TINY BUTTON THE SAME SHAPE, SIZE, AND COLOR AS EVERY OTHER BUTTON ON THE RADIO! Why can't anyone get that right?
There's not really any question she likes the waggy, it was her 40th bday present which she chose over wanting an old diesel Mercedes. She digs the waggy and has even happily gotten her hands dirty scrubbing parts and helping when we first got it. She also doesn't want to modify it too much but the things she wants, she wants.
We agree that no cutting of the dash will happen as it's avoidable and difficult to repair from an originality standpoint.
Unfortunately she is also one of those tech freaks. The "new" phone. Gadgets. Etc. She insists on a fancy stereo which will do basically everything her VW does and have a clean sound. The options boiled down to either a flip up dash touch screen or a double din one with all the stuff she insists on. After measuring and head scratching we have ruled out the in dash flip screen. It's likely not gonna mount well enough to allow the screen to flip up without hitting the dash. So we will go with the less expensive but more features double din. No... I won't be hacking into the dash some way to make it fit. I plan to build a center console to hold it on the transmission tunnel. Wife is short so this may actually work better as it keeps it more within reach. It will also allow me to keep the factory "boring" head unit so hopefully thieves will keep walking. I believe all 4 factory speakers are 5 1/4. That's easy but well probably add a small sub in the rear to give it some depth.
Good part is the stereo stuff won't keep it from use. Just have to make sure it gets done to keep her happy.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:As for the springs I say hold off too, a lift kit is only a weekend project. Let her drive it at stock height first to see of she likes it at car height and likes the soft ride. If she does all you'll have to do is throw some stock height front springs from BJ's under it one weekend. Make sure it's got good shocks though. That pillowy ride will get annoying if it makes you seasick to drive it. I really like the gas charged shocks that are under the well worn springs of my 1990. Soft but not too soft in the corners. And plenty of dampening.

Those springs look on Walter look bad, but nowhere near dangerous.

BTW... BJ's springs come from Alcan.
Ugh... I hate this part. Obviously it has to be safe and as reliable as possible for her to drive it. Me?, I'd already be driving it and roll with whatever pops up. Her I can't do that to.
Tires , despite being nearly new, are dry rotted from sitting in a field since 2006. Replacing them is not an option.
That of course leads to what size tire. Since we will only buy them once it kinda means it has to work. Not gonna fit 31s on it with the front springs as they are. As you (Nikkormat) noticed, they are done but not dangerous. No way a 31 is fitting on there as they are. Since the bend is at the rear eye I don't think even an AAL would help.
We will have money for parts once the VW is turned in. Just want to have it all lined up and ready to order when we can pay for it.
I'd think if we can find a 3-4" spring with a nice ride, we'd be happy. Get it installed and we can see if we go with 30s or 31s. Gives the Jeep a bit more aggressive stance and it's all new.
Realized the fuel gage isn't working so dropping the tank is getting more involved. Good part is it will let me clean it, install a new sending unit, put your skid on, AND get to that one pesky spring bolt.
I think first step will be doing the rear main seal and exhaust. It can then be driven a bit but don't want to risk a tire blowout.
Second will be springs/shocks/tires/gas tank stuff.
From there it could be driven moderately until we decide what else is an issue. We will likely do the fuel injection soon as it will make a remote start, one of her other non-negotiable "requests" a much easier process.

As a side note, we never got door keys when we bought the Jeep. Being able to lock it is very important to her. Is it easier to swap the door cylinders or could a locksmith make a key to fit what's there?

And Nikkormat, you said alcan makes BJs springs? Are they better/softer riding than skyjacker/rustys/BDS/RC/He'll creek?
Is there any list by lifts for each manufacturer and a comparison?

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:And Nikkormat, you said alcan makes BJs springs? Are they better/softer riding than skyjacker/rustys/BDS/RC/He'll creek?
There are no comparisons of all the options that I know of. I say if that's the route you're going to take just have Alcan make a set custom. And order som Bilstein shocks from BJ's.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:And Nikkormat, you said alcan makes BJs springs? Are they better/softer riding than skyjacker/rustys/BDS/RC/He'll creek?
There are no comparisons of all the options that I know of. I say if that's the route you're going to take just have Alcan make a set custom. And order som Bilstein shocks from BJ's.
If alcan makes bjs springs, is there any reason to choose one over the other?

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: We agree that no cutting of the dash will happen as it's avoidable and difficult to repair from an originality standpoint.
Unfortunately she is also one of those tech freaks. The "new" phone. Gadgets. Etc. She insists on a fancy stereo which will do basically everything her VW does and have a clean sound. The options boiled down to either a flip up dash touch screen or a double din one with all the stuff she insists on. After measuring and head scratching we have ruled out the in dash flip screen. It's likely not gonna mount well enough to allow the screen to flip up without hitting the dash. So we will go with the less expensive but more features double din. No... I won't be hacking into the dash some way to make it fit. I plan to build a center console to hold it on the transmission tunnel. Wife is short so this may actually work better as it keeps it more within reach. It will also allow me to keep the factory "boring" head unit so hopefully thieves will keep walking. I believe all 4 factory speakers are 5 1/4. That's easy but well probably add a small sub in the rear to give it some depth.
Good part is the stereo stuff won't keep it from use. Just have to make sure it gets done to keep her happy.
Hey man, you're in luck. You won't need to cut the dash or build a console. Clarion builds flip up units that clear dash humps, and I've got photo proof!

Pics: http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12 ... ild067.jpg http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12 ... ild071.jpg http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12 ... ild065.jpg

The radio: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020NZ503/C ... ml?tp=5684
Not to flashy looking either. That with some small powered subs in the back cargo panels would be perfect for a techie IMO.

I say a floor mounted radio is a no no. Don't want to be looking down while you drive. And floor consoles block the heater vents.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Thanks for that Nikkormat. This is the flip out we had looked at which she liked. I will talk to her some more and see if we can go with that. Save me the headache of building a custom center console.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

This... is a... PAIR of speakers! Hahahahaha!!!!!!!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Ok... so it's Christmas Day and I got nothing I want to do but roll ideas around in my head. I'm a little stuck on one question so maybe you guys can help me come to a decision?
Emissions. Wife's 91 has it all, intact but lots of dry rot showing on vac lines etc. we live in a non-emissions county. We plan to convert the 360 over to TBI fi. So... emissions junk, leave it on or pull it and squirrel it away for a day in the future?
Pros and cons of either seem to be:
Pull it- cleans up the engine compartment massively and makes working on stuff less annoying. Probably will be more efficient with the TBI and a new cat than the antiquated system on it now. Could always sell the stuff to someone who needs it for some cash... which we have none of.
Keep it- Retains it's originality and maybe the "value" as it's a last year? Makes it easier to sell to someone who lives in an area requiring emissions? Other than that I can't think of much else to keep it?
What are y'alls thoughts? Keep or pull?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

What injection system? Don't some of them get rid of the emissions crap? At least some of it? The system for my 6 cyl did.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

SJTD wrote:What injection system? Don't some of them get rid of the emissions crap? At least some of it? The system for my 6 cyl did.
It'll be a Howell TBI system. I know it will make some of the emissions stuff irrelevant but not sure how much is worthwhile to remove vs what I should leave alone.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

About time I update this thread. Since the wife will be turning in the VW in a few weeks We pulled her waggy out of storage. I've been driving it to school the last few days and fixing some small stuff. We don't have money for real work so I'm just doing what I can.
Tried to get the leaves sucked out of the heater box but it wasn't all that successful.
The next thing was to do something about the broken battery terminals and the scary wiring they were attached to. Figures nothing goes easy. The negative cable was fairly easy even after the hydraulic crimpers I have didn't want to fit the 2ga terminal. After getting the ground finished I moved on to the positive cable... that's where it went down hill.
Tried to carefully remove the nut on the starter but it snapped off. Crap! Then the small exciter wire literally fell off, the terminal it mounts to was rusted through. Not the wire terminal but the part which is on the starter.
So I pull the starter out and it's nasty. Probably the original one and lots of metal shavings inside the aperture. Have to hope the wife gets paid tomorrow so we can buy a new starter. No way I'm putting that thing back in if she's gonna be driving it. Even if I could fix it.
Also got a good look at some of the other adventures awaiting me. The front main (crank) seal is leaking. Power steering is leaking. Even the new fuel pump is leaking. Ugh. This is gonna be a death by a thousand cuts!

On the good(?) side... this is basically what the wife wants it to look like after we get "done".

Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

A Question Ted, since you just did the battery cables, i was looking at mine the other day and need to replace them too- the ground cable is worn through the jacket from rubbing the battery - is there an easy way to get to the ground wire terminal connection to the block? Looks like there's no way to get to it with that hose in the way. Image
Sorry for the thread jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Skerrvydog wrote:A Question Ted, since you just did the battery cables, i was looking at mine the other day and need to replace them too- the ground cable is worn through the jacket from rubbing the battery - is there an easy way to get to the ground wire terminal connection to the block? Looks like there's no way to get to it with that hose in the way. Image

I moved mine from the bottom of the compressor to the top. Getting to it on the bottom is too big of a PITA.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Skerrvydog wrote:A Question Ted, since you just did the battery cables, i was looking at mine the other day and need to replace them too- the ground cable is worn through the jacket from rubbing the battery - is there an easy way to get to the ground wire terminal connection to the block? Looks like there's no way to get to it with that hose in the way. Image

When I go to school tonight I'll look closer at mine. My ground strap used a bolt that goes through the timing cover. It was pretty easy to get to. I'd think just cut yours off and find a new place for the ground would be easiest?

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

The late models, 89-91, use a sanden instead of a york compressor. We've got a dedicated location for the ground but on the old York compressor brackets there isn't one.

Another option is to relocate the ground to one of the block side motor mount bolt holes.