1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

twisted frame

Re: 1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Post by twisted frame »

I'm psyched you're adding the Honcho decals. Cool. They will really set it off!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Freehold, thank you for the comment! ABD, ADD these would apply. However I still have a lot of coursework to go before This FSJ PHD is awarded. A 1000 little things . Thank you for following.

Twisted! you have no idea how badly I want to put the rest of those decals on. But it's not time yet, the panels still need a bunch of wiggling to get gaps and fits right. Soon enough though.

Have knocked a bunch of stuff off since last post. Mostly wiring, plumbing, a few accessories. The pass side step is done, painted and installed:

Image[/url]0923201608a by highsiera

The doors are on:

Image[/url]0913201839 by highsiera

And this arrived the other day. Tom woods rear driveshaft. Upgraded larger U joints, thicker slide shaft with longer travel. Great service and quick turnaround time.

]Image[/url]0926202344 by highsiera

Anyhow, the next step is to load it on a trailer and bring it to town to get the exhaust, the interior foundations and the windshield done. The weather didn't cooperate this weekend so hopefully next. More to come in the next few weeks.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Nicely done on the fenders- they look fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trosskyll

Post by Trosskyll »

Hi FleetFox. I just read your restoration project from the beginning until the end. Thank you for all the detail, and comments about the good and bad of what you have had to go through on your journey. It is a great thing to read and see all the work going on the world of FSJ'rs, from the various murky starts, and the final beauty of the finished trucks that re-emerge to carry on a purposeful, and more importantly - FUN life!! It sure helps to boost me to move on with my project :D
'76 Cherokee Chief AMC304, TH400, QT, Dana 44F, Dana 60 R. = Under restoration right now :fsj:
'82 J20 AMC258 4.2, T18a, NP208, Dana 44F, Dana 60 R. = 3x J20 truck waiting for restoration next :D

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Put the hood on finally. and have spent hours aligning it. What a chore. I would like to spend just 5 minutes with the engineer that designed this....in a dark place... Will post more pics hopefully after this coming weekend.

Fleet Fox

Trosskyll

Post by Trosskyll »

I have a way to go, but I will catch up with you, Mr. Fox... eventually ;)
'76 Cherokee Chief AMC304, TH400, QT, Dana 44F, Dana 60 R. = Under restoration right now :fsj:
'82 J20 AMC258 4.2, T18a, NP208, Dana 44F, Dana 60 R. = 3x J20 truck waiting for restoration next :D

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

FLeetFox wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 am Put the hood on finally. and have spent hours aligning it. What a chore. I would like to spend just 5 minutes with the engineer that designed this....in a dark place... Will post more pics hopefully after this coming weekend.

Fleet Fox
I fully support meeting the engineer on hood fitment. :twisted: :x
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Been of the board for a while, I apologize. In the interim though, We have gotten a lot done. About a month ago I trailered the Honcho into town from the country to get some work done I just wasn't comfortable doing myself. Carpet was laid for the interior, a new dash cover sewn and installed, seats wrapped in new covers, New windshield and finally a trip to the exhaust shop. I will run through the results in a series of pictures that I hope all of you will enjoy.
The return to the shop, windshield and trim installed.

Image[/url]1120201626 by highsiera

New seat covers on CJ seat frames and foam. I purchased the covers for a gentleman that makes restoration quality CJ pieces, they are gorgeous.

Image[/url]1031201716 by highsiera

With the seats, done, my upholstery guy keyed the rest of his work off of those fabrics. New Dash cover sewn and bonded to the old dash pad:

Image[/url]1122201421 by highsiera

and carpet. The floor was a stock item from ACC, these can be purchased from BJ's and other suppliers. Extra yardage was purchased in the same Nutmeg color. The back of the cab and the B pillars were done as well. For those pieces, the edges got a sewn binding using the same vinyl as the dash and seats.

Image[/url]1129201445 by highsiera

Image[/url]1129201446 by highsiera
Last edited by FLeetFox on Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Continued,

Last stop before home was the exhaust shop. I'll have to say, this was a little frustrating. The shop had moved from in town to way out in the county. What was a 10 minute tow became a 45 minute pull, which sucked. I went over everything I wanted for the install in fine detail. "keep it tight to the body, true duals all the way back, no crossovers, side exit behind the rear fenders, 45 degrees to body, nothing hanging down, I don't want to see any of your work. Lastly, use Magnaflows, that's the sound I want." He nodded, agreed verbally, got every word I said because he repeated them back to me. I go to pick it up a few days later. Check it over before I pay the man. The mufflers are Flowmasters. Face palm. After much discussion, some renegotiation on terms and a sound test comparison on another vehicle he was in the middle of, I paid him the adjusted amount and left. It was all very frustrating frankly. So in the end I got the pipes I wanted, exactly the way I wanted them and some Flowmaster FX stainless welded mufllers which are a Magnaflow clone. Enough b1tching from me. I will let the pictures tell the story.

Image[/url]1122201422 by highsiera

[Image[/url]1122201421a by highsiera

Image[/url]1122201422a by highsiera

Image[/url]1122201423 by highsiera

Image[/url]1206201712 by highsiera

Image[/url]1206201712a by highsiera

So at the moment I am working full time on the interior. Top down and back to front, right to left. The goal for the next 3 months is buttoning up the inside completely. This includes finishing all the electrical, which is 75% of the way there now. I promised myself no exterior work until it's warm so I can get this truck done in time for summer to actually drive it.

Thanks for following,

Fleet Fox

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

That looks great, as good as some of the top builders who work on these- well done.

Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

Wow, that is looking great!
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav

az45

Post by az45 »

Great build FleetFox!

I feel your pain on the exhaust, I has a similar situation and ended up cutting it off and doing it myself.

3+ years for complete rebuild isn't a big deal when you're not being paid to do it.
Last edited by az45 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Thanks AZ45! By the way...Dos Honchos was the inspiration for this build. When the Casey Pre-runner came out of the barn I literally flipped. Thought that truck was gone for good!

Fleet Fox

az45

Post by az45 »

Thanks! Comments like that are the real rewards for effort these projects require.

I was pretty excited when the pre-runner found me, its been a great project and we've had a bunch of fun to use since finished over the summer. We'll have it at the Best In The Desert Race this weekend in Parker, its always fun to get the vintage racecars in front of the guys that remember them from the old days.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

It would be really cool if you did a small post on the pre-runner here. A few walk around pics maybe showing some of the race tech incorporated into it. I would dig it, I know a lot of other guys on the site would too. Don't think it would make Bud jealous at all...

Have fun at BITD. Thanks again

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Back with an update. So it's been a real winter here this year. Cold, wet, some snow, lots of mud, just not really conducive to getting finesse work done. I have a couple of sunflower heaters in the shop and I can usually get it to around 50 which is OK, but not ideal. Anyways, stuff is getting done, moving forward, albeit at a slower pace. Most of my time has been spent making various adjustments, on the body and parts of the interior. And on the electrical. I've described before how I've basically added power everything to this truck converting it from all manual. In addition I am adding things like an upgraded sound system, an inverter, a cb, several sets of off road lights and work lights, second fuel tank, a winch etc.. AND my overall desire is to keep as much of the trucks infrastructure stock (looking) . So basically I customized the stock wiring harness into something that you would more likely see in a much newer vehicle.

Image[/url]0124211812a by highsiera

and wrapped

Image[/url]0206211514 by highsiera

Believe it or not, wrapping that harness was an important milestone for me. It basically was a way of saying. "Done. Moving on. "

Because working on wiring will drive you nuts, I've had a few side items going on as a distraction. New custom front drive shaft from Mr. Woods:

Image[/url]0205212134a by highsiera

And began work on the interior AC unit. I had worked with SonarEd last winter to get together all new pieces to rehabilitate the OEM system. It made sense to lay it all out at the time as I had not completed the front clip and I wanted the condensor, drier and lines done so i didn't have to do stuff twice. So we figured out the interior stuff as well, and then just put that stuff in a box on the Honcho shelf...in the Honcho room...
So now that the interior is all but done, and the dash is almost put back together, it's time.

The original box was really not the right color (Honey) and faded pretty bad in spots.

Image[/url]0208211935b by highsiera

I took a sample of the nutmeg vinyl left over from the dash and door panels to the paint shop and went right to the oldest guy at the counter and politely asked, (begged) him to mix me a SEM dye to match it. After a few coats: Thank you Monroe.

Image[/url]0208212033a by highsiera

So this is a version of the AMC Jeep color Nutmeg. It's not a dead ringer, it's close. The guy who made the seat covers wouldn't give up a spare inch of it for me to match, so we did the best we could with what we had. Next step is to test fit it in the cab and make sure it doesn't clash with everything else. The metal dash and the steering column is SEM Camel, which turned out lighter than I had thought (hoped). So we'll see this weekend what everything looks like dry fitted together.

I'll (try) to post some pics next week of the mock up. If it all looks right, I may also get around to stuffing the guts back in that box. I will document that as well.

Wordy, not really that interesting in terms of visual progress. Welcome to the phase of this project I'm currently living in.

Thanks for reading,

Fleet Fox

66stepside

1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Post by 66stepside »

FLeetFox wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:44 pm Thank you Jim!

Back at it. So with the bed box finally complete, and all of the other pieces fixed and primed, it was time to put it all together for a mock up to see how everything fits together. Empty cradle, feels good:

Image[/url]0811191524 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

almost...

Image[/url]0811191526 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

and there:

Image[/url]0811191527 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0811191525 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0811191525c by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

You can kinda see in the last pic the aux. fuel tank is sorta in there. It's a 33 gal tank from the last series of 2 door blazers. It's a big tank and does hang down a bit. The idea was to get it in there for the mock up so i could see just were to mount the straps and how to route the filler lines. I'll detail the dual tank set up later in the build for those interested.

I am looking for some feedback from the forum on one thing that showed it self here. The step end of the sport side flares seems to be curled up. Has anyone here experienced this with the BJ's replacements? Part of me says "leave it be." The really type A part of me knows it should follow the line of the box fairing. The idea of cutting these and reworking them with glass mat and filler makes me cringe. Please tell me what y'all think.

Image[/url]0811191525b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Left side has a similar bow.

Anyways, next week the project is to finish tweaking all the bed parts so they're ready for paint and them begin disassembly.

Fleet Fox
I was revisiting your build thread as it is a-maze-ing! How do the stepside fenders bolt on the to the bed? Is there some kind of hidden latching/mounting system? Any pics of the mounting process?

I see there are clips mounted to the fenders via rivets. Those clips are then mounted to the bed side?
Clips bolted to be side:

Where the clips are riveted to the rear fender:

If you have a clean and clear pic of what it is supposed to look like, please post it up- id appreciate it.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

There is a difference between the repro steps I used from BJ's and the originals. The originals, like the ones in your pics had angle irons epoxied to the glass. These are bolted to the metal bedsides using carriage bolts. the square shoulder of the bolt fits in the slotted holes on the bed. You can see the holes in the second pic from the top in your cut and paste. The new repro steps actually have a flange molded into them, which I think is an upgrade. You can see it below, although in this pic it's beneath the rubber gasket I made to insulate it from the bed body (no squeaks.)

Image[/url]0711201923a by highsiera

We installed the front and rear metal fairings. Bolted it to the metal bracket that supports the step (zoom pic below). And held Sam held it in place while I marked all the holes on the flange that needed to be drilled. We used stainless steel carriage bolts, just because. IIRC they are 5/16x 1". They feel sturdy on there and once all the bolts and braces are in, it's rigid.

Image[/url]0404201306 by highsiera

Image[/url]0810202044a by highsiera

If you would like more detailed pics, or pics of something more particular, let me know. Next time I have it out in the sun I will gladly snap them.

bums me out a little looking at the date stamp on that post. A year and a half ago and I'm sitting here painting screws and detailing stupid pieces no one will ever notice..

Fleet Fox

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Ahhhh, I expected the factory fenders to be like the ones in your pic. Crazy.

Thanks for the pics, and the explanation, I appreciate it.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Overdue update. I'll try to go quick and short with the words. If there is a part, process, method or theory anyone would like elaborated on, just ask and I will be happy to detail.

Air conditioning. All together with all new mechanical parts and refreshed original trim items. At some point I promise i will do a separate thread just on renovating the OEM American Air system with all new parts.

Image[/url]0215212317 by highsiera

Installed now. Also installed are the glove box, clock and ashtray. In addition a new Retrosound radio with bluetooth, aux etc...

Image[/url]0321211822 by highsiera
Also added a modern Gentex rearview mirror with temp, compass, rear radar and autodim. can kinda see it installed in this overview pic.

Image[/url]0321211821 by highsiera

not too many wires, joke...

Image[/url]1212201452 by highsiera

Finally figured out a solution to mounting the power seat controls on the CJ buckets. Courtesy of a 1st gen XJ. Thanks AMC for sharing the parts bin, only had to re pin 2 terminals to make it all work.

Image[/url]0320211347 by highsiera

Lastly, I've had this instrument cluster sitting on the bench since late January. it was complete and working but real tired. Just could not get motivated to really work on it for a while, especially since I was tracing a ton of electrical issues at the time. So finally got to the point that the room was needed for other things and tore into it. Took everything apart and sonic cleaned it. Unfortunately i didn't take a before pic, but this is after it was stripped and cleaned, shell repainted in satin black, details chrome penned and hot/cold decals accented.

Image[/url]0321212230 by highsiera

Getting the old overlay adhesive off was the worst. lots of time, lacquer thinner, nylon brush and budweiser. Finished product. SunPro voltmeter conversion, needles painted, new BJ's applique, cleaned and refreshed heater controls, and polished lenses. A lot of time in this piece right here.'

Image[/url]0407210003a by highsiera

Image[/url]0407210003c by highsiera

Couple more bugs to work out and I can drop that in and be done with the dash pretty much. That will just leave me with the console and the door panels left to do inside. It's getting warm here now, so I'd really like to get the paint fixes all done and put the stripes on the exterior. After that it's just outfitting with the fun stuff. Goal is to be done by July 4th, still a lot of ground to cover with a limited budget for time.

Thanks for reading,

Fleet Fox