Shock Measurement

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
MadMax78

Shock Measurement

Post by MadMax78 »

You know its time for shocks when you shake them and it sounds like water sloshing around in a mason jar. Trouble is I have no idea how to measure for them. Is there an easy way to measure for them? I am SOA in the front with 4" lift springs as well. It was this way when I bought it. I will remove the lift springs on the front and replace them with stock springs in the future. I'm currently running 35s with Tad's SOA shackle flip kit. Any help is greatly appreciated.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

tgreese

Re: Shock Measurement

Post by tgreese »

MadMax78 wrote:You know its time for shocks when you shake them and it sounds like water sloshing around in a mason jar. Trouble is I have no idea how to measure for them. Is there an easy way to measure for them? I am SOA in the front with 4" lift springs as well. It was this way when I bought it. I will remove the lift springs on the front and replace them with stock springs in the future. I'm currently running 35s with Tad's SOA shackle flip kit. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Start from fully collapsed length. The shock should never bottom. Instead, the axle should hit the bumper and stop. Measure the distance between the pins, and subtract the gap between the axle and frame, plus the compressed thickness of the frame bumper. This is the maximum collapsed length of shock you can use.

Then measure the distance between the pins with the axle hanging. This is roughly the full extended length of the shock you want.

Realize that the maximum extended length cannot physically be longer than twice the collapsed length, for any tube shock absorber. It's likely that there is no shock absorber that will fit ideally, so you have to compromise. You can space out your bump stops from the frame so that longer shocks do not bottom. Or you can limit the axle travel with a shorter shock.

If you want maximum wheel travel, you'll probably have to make the top shock mount towers taller, and extend them through the inner fender. Then you can use a really long shock that allows full upward travel without bottoming, and does not limit axle drop.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Shock Measurement

Post by Stuka »

My guess is he doesn't have extended bump stops. Which are needed to protect the shock.

Most accurate way is to find something to drive up on to flex it out. You can also measure for bump stops this way. As the relation between tire travel and inwards where the bump stop will be is different.

But like mentioned above, measure eye to eye for the shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ