Questions on 5.3L engines

Modified FSJ Tech Area

j20owner

Re: Questions on 5.3L engines

Post by j20owner »

We've had problems with the AFM lifters unlocking on their own causing misfires and ticks, as well. If I had an AFM engine(only if it was a free one) I'd do an AFM delete with replaces the lifters and AFM manifold. Then take it out of the tune.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

j20owner wrote:We've had problems with the AFM lifters unlocking on their own causing misfires and ticks, as well. If I had an AFM engine(only if it was a free one) I'd do an AFM delete with replaces the lifters and AFM manifold. Then take it out of the tune.

I think this might be an overreaction. Yes, you see a few of them that have failed, but consider how many have been built! It's a bit like back in the 90s when there seemed to be a Ford Taurus in every shop, you had to weigh that against the fact that the Taurus was the most popular car in the country, and had been for several years running. Yeah, you saw one in every shop, but you saw four at every traffic light!

Most tuners will pull the AFM from the tune, if only because they have had trouble trying to run it without all of the other emissions "stuff" present. Both the LY5 I am using in my Jeep, and the L99 we are using in my dad's '59 Impala will have the system. We won't be using it (do to the reason above), but also will not remove it until and unless it gives trouble.

Just my .02... YMMV and all that. :)

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Just wanted to relay my experiences and personal opinion from seeing them in the shop. Like I said, I'd use it if it was free or I already had it, but I wouldn't look for one for a swap.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

j20owner wrote:Just wanted to relay my experiences and personal opinion from seeing them in the shop. Like I said, I'd use it if it was free or I already had it, but I wouldn't look for one for a swap.
Believe me, I am thankful you have relayed them! If anything, it gives those of us who have used them a direction to look if something rather wonky starts happening. It also reminds us to use a high quality oil, and to change it regularly!

Back when I first started wrenching (1986 :shock:) I worked on at least one Oldsmobile Cutlass a day (independent shop). Not because they were horrible cars (my own went some 300,000 miles), but because they were freaking everywhere! But that's an easy thing to overlook, because you keep seeing them. Especially when you consider the care some people give--or more to the point, don't give--to their vehicles (you mean you can't change the oil every 20,000 miles?).

So please don't think I was getting on your case. I promise, I wasn't! So please, keep giving us your input!

nester

Post by nester »

ProTouring442 wrote:I think this might be an overreaction. Yes, you see a few of them that have failed, but consider how many have been built! It's a bit like back in the 90s when there seemed to be a Ford Taurus in every shop, you had to weigh that against the fact that the Taurus was the most popular car in the country, and had been for several years running. Yeah, you saw one in every shop, but you saw four at every traffic light!
When I worked at Autozone, I had an employee that said "I would never buy a taurus, they break all the time!" because of the number of parts we sold for them. I tried to explain the "scales of economy". :D
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost