Painless Wiring

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Irishjeeper

Painless Wiring

Post by Irishjeeper »

Anyone ever rewire their rig with a generic Painless harness? Any other companies or recommendations for rewiring my 64 J200? Thanks.

tgreese

Re: Painless Wiring

Post by tgreese »

Irishjeeper wrote:Anyone ever rewire their rig with a generic Painless harness? Any other companies or recommendations for rewiring my 64 J200? Thanks.

I usually repair wiring rather than removing it. Not difficult. However, if you want to use new wire, the kits work out well.

My understanding is that Painless charges quite a premium for their brand. The EZ Wiring harnesses are popular with the early CJ guys. The HAMB likes Rebel. Not much to them ... basically you get enough colored wire to make the circuits that they list in the tech sheets. You still have to interface the components to the new harness.

The simplest way to approach this is to clip out the connector entirely and splice directly to the component wiring. Really, the plugs are there for the assembly line workers, so they can assemble the cars quicky. Direct connections are much more reliable than a plug/socket of any kind. Where I feel I need a connector, I use a new Weatherpack connector. You can get the brass part of the original connectors new, and rebuild the connector, using the plastic shell - but these OEM connectors are of low quality compared to Weatherpacks. Reuse the connectors based on your own sense of preservation and aesthetics.

Make sure your kit contains enough wire for the rear lights - they are further away than in a car.

http://ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html
http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-product ... ire%20Kits
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Painless is a good kit but it is never painless. There are challenges to this type of wiring Billy Wagoneering just completed a rewire on his using a Painless. they are really nice if done correctly. I will tell you if you are not knowledgeable this is an extreme challenge.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
Irishjeeper

Post by Irishjeeper »

Thanks guys. I have wired antique tractors, but they are simple and not as many lights and gauges. I was just planning ahead.
I did find an automotive wiring shop in a major city near me and was thinking of going and visiting with him about it. I have a J200 wiring diagram, and book. Maybe just let him do it, and let him see my engine swap/tranny swap and go from there. Thanks.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Good luck if you understand the basics it's not bad just methodical.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

garrett79

Post by garrett79 »

i ran a painless 18 circuit universal gm key column on my 79 cherokee it was not to bad a job just keep up with your old harness you will need some of the plugs from it and take your time i am very happy with the harness :D

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

I have to say Painless is the only one I'd use. I helped a friend with a Chinese knockoff painless look a like & the connectors were junk. If they don't tell you who made it don't buy it.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

letank

Post by letank »

What is the gauge of the wires? I looked at the website and did not find any specifics?

Our underhood wires seems to be close to 16 gauge and cooked after 30 years... the insulation is pretty hard and ready to crack under any sharp handling.

As said you will have to deconstruct the firewall plug... not an easy task sometimes.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

I have wired two cars using a Painless harness... they are well built kits, but they do take a good deal of time and effort, not to mention a whole lot of soldering!

Next time, I will be using an American Autowire kit.

ttravis5446

Post by ttravis5446 »

I am getting ready to tear into my Cherokee and was doing research on the wiring last night. I was reading past FSJ articles from JP magazine and they did a build where they used the Engine Harness, Body Harness and Headlight Harness from Z and M and gave it great reviews. It came with the factory style firewall plug but upgraded to blade type fuses. I haven't checked into it any more than reading the article though.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

all painless kits are blade fuse all kits require soldering or wire connecting. The better kits have firewall systems so you don't have to rework a factory one if you get the right kit. But there is no doubt you can get cheaper if that is the goal.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

has any one used the harness from bj's offroad I am going to have to replace mine in my 79' j10 and was also wondering what the best option other than painless's expensive harness they are good I put one in my 75' Cherokee chief but cant afford that kind of money anymore?
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ