fuel pump options?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
husker77

fuel pump options?

Post by husker77 »

So are our only options for a fuel pump for the amc v8's, stock replacement, pretty expensive(at least for my jeep) bulltear billet beauty, or electric? Or finding an older carter high perf one on ebay or something?

FSJ Guy

Re: fuel pump options?

Post by FSJ Guy »

Why do you need something other than the stock replacement? They either work or they don't. Unless you're running out of fuel at WOT, why pay more for more flow? The float will regulate how full the bowl is.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

FSJ Guy wrote:Why do you need something other than the stock replacement?
Eventually this will be a built motor, and I have to replace my fuel pump so I would like to get one that will be up to the task. I've also read a few times that the stock pump is barely adequate for a stock motor.
FSJ Guy wrote:They either work or they don't.
Mine is actually still working fine but leaking, so that statement is not entirely true. :D

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Well, considering those diaphragm pumps were used on stock engines up to around 500 hp or more, they work rather well.

If you are looking for other pumps, go to summitracing.com. Enough fuel pumps to make your head spin.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

When did amc build an engine with 500hp? I don't see anything over about 350.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

HaHa, maybe some bigger V8 besides AMC. ;) If you stick with a mechanical pump, might I recommend one specifically for a 71 360 Wagoneer. They are old school "upside down" style. They are not tucked up behind the PS pump to catch more heat like the newer ones. We have had bad luck with vapor lock on NAPA brand (Echlin I think) mechanical in the newer style. If you go electric, there are a variety and I have had good luck with a few of them. Even some of the cheaper ones that eventually failed last around 10 years.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

fulsizjeep wrote:HaHa, maybe some bigger V8 besides AMC. ;) If you stick with a mechanical pump, might I recommend one specifically for a 71 360 Wagoneer. They are old school "upside down" style. They are not tucked up behind the PS pump to catch more heat like the newer ones. We have had bad luck with vapor lock on NAPA brand (Echlin I think) mechanical in the newer style. If you go electric, there are a variety and I have had good luck with a few of them. Even some of the cheaper ones that eventually failed last around 10 years.

Now that is some good info to have if looking for a stock replacement. Thanks.

I have a Holley blue pump in my Demon feeding the 451 I have had it for about 15 years and it still works great.
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

fulsizjeep wrote: might I recommend one specifically for a 71 360 Wagoneer. They are old school "upside down" style. They are not tucked up behind the PS pump to catch more heat like the newer ones.
I think it would have to be a 72, from what I'm getting a 71 would still have the 350(buick?) in it. Then looks like in 76 is when they "flipped" them over. So you would want one for a 72-75.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

husker77 wrote:
fulsizjeep wrote: might I recommend one specifically for a 71 360 Wagoneer. They are old school "upside down" style. They are not tucked up behind the PS pump to catch more heat like the newer ones.
I think it would have to be a 72, from what I'm getting a 71 would still have the 350(buick?) in it. Then looks like in 76 is when they "flipped" them over. So you would want one for a 72-75.
The 360 officially started in the FSJs in 1971. 1970 was the last year for the 350... officially. Some overlap has been reported. Just FYI.

Yep, in the mid 70s, the fuel pump flipped over. AFAIK there are only those two variants - pre-76 type and post-75 type.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

Got to love those crossover years when they are using up the last of the parts.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Regardless one of the best mods I EVER did was my electric pump. It's a whole lot easier to compare when you've been on both sides. How many vehicles today have manual pumps? Starts faster runs better wouldn't know how to vapor lock. Starts just as fast after sitting for six months as it does for six minutes. Saves batteries starters solenoids. turn in on the key count to 5 pump it once & in less than 5 seconds it fires. Simple fact.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

serehill wrote:Starts faster runs better wouldn't know how to vapor lock.

Yep - electric pumps are great. But I don't think they completely solve the vapor locking problem (unless, of course, they are pushing a TBI).

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

No doubt I'm open to hearing about any proper good electric fuel pump that vapor locks. No diaphragms. Anyone seen one? Remember the criteria of the statement.
I'm not talking about someone who bolted the electric pump onto the exhaust manifold.

Fuel pump away from the engine with a vented fuel filter & tanks.

Anyone? I'm sure it somehow can be done not in denial here but I haven't seen it.

EFI rocks but it's not a vapor lock preventer.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

As pressure increases the boiling point of fuel(actually pretty much any liquid) raises. That is one of the reasons for mounting the pump back towards the tank, it increases the pressure throughout the system. In my experience most vapor lock issues are a pressure issue and not a heat issue.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Yeah sorry I digressed. It's an option. It has a lot of positive points if your looking to fix it once & for all with some great side effects. Not saying at all itsthe only way but I prefer it.

Good luck

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

I'm really leaning towards electric, just trying to figure out if I can plumb it into the stock fuel lines for now. It seems like right in front of the tank there is a decent place to mount one and then tie into the stock lines. There is a section of rubber lines that tie the tank hard lines to the frame hard lines, seems pretty simple. But I've said that more than once on a project. :(

twmattox

Post by twmattox »

Not sure on a '77; but, on my '88 the lines leave the fuel tank to the rear. Right near the crossmember above the axle is the ideal place to mount an electric pump. Ties right into the rubber lines there. Minimal lines under vacuum and the long run under positive pressure (minimizes vaporization).
'83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
'88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
'05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
'11 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.8L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

This thread is going to pay dividends in the AM as I'm pretty sure my pump is junk. Thanks for all that have provided info to the OP and me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

twmattox wrote:Not sure on a '77; but, on my '88 the lines leave the fuel tank to the rear. Right near the crossmember above the axle is the ideal place to mount an electric pump. Ties right into the rubber lines there. Minimal lines under vacuum and the long run under positive pressure (minimizes vaporization).

Mine 77 has the tank mid ship but sounds like the lines are set up similar.

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Ok so I miraculously found a mechanical pump in my town that doesn't have to be ordered in. They are saying its for a 73 Waggy with a 360, with the vin letter of "A" does the vin letter even matter??? It's going on my 86

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD