Custom parking brake cables

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
derf

Custom parking brake cables

Post by derf »

So I'm working on getting the truck back up and running and one of the things I need to do is to get some custom parking brake cables. Two changes have been made to the truck driving this change.

First, I've swapped in a 700R4 and I'm using the factory crossmember in the rear set of mounting holes. I've ordered a replacement front cable (from the cab to the crossmember) and I'm using the existing intermediate cable. So the length of the rear cables will need to change.

Second, I've swapped in a J20 D60 with the disc brake conversion using El Dorado calipers. The connection for the cable at the brake end is different than it is for a drum brake. So I need a different end on the cable to match.

Where is a good place to go to have some of these brake cables made up?
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

fastjeep

Re: Custom parking brake cables

Post by fastjeep »

Madison Power Systems did mine. Can pick what ends you need and length

Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

My conversion used the caddy calipers. I got some different "arms" that fit the stock cables. You really just need a notch for the end to go into and a method to retain it there.
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

Trex20165

Post by Trex20165 »

You may be able to get custom cables made from inlinetube.com.
They say they can make any cable however, they couldn't make cables for me. I installed a Dana 44 from a 2000 Rodeo in my J10. They were unable to make the cables due to the connectors at the rear backing plate (said they were not available, only American made cars).
1983 J10 258ci, 4-SP T177, 4 in lift on DC Crusher 35X12.5, 4.10 Dana 44s w/4 wheel disc brakes, Factory brush guard & roll bar.
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 3.0L Turbo Diesel
2005 Dodge Ram SRT-10, 8.3L, 6-SP Tremec; Mostly stock. *Sold*

fastjeep

Post by fastjeep »

I also have caddy calipers, they the ends for them.