Lights behind grille?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
thej10guy

Lights behind grille?

Post by thej10guy »

Has anyone on here ever put lights behind there grille in the speaker grille locations (for rhino grilles). Image
Something kinda like this. I like the idea of it. 1, it provides you with more light at night. 2, it fills the random holes that don’t really do anything extraordinary. I have seen different ways people have done this. Both have been with razor grilles. Has anyone else done this? I’m also curious about what people would do for square headlight front ends like muscle and pig nose grilles. Would you put square lights in the round holes? Just wondering about doing this myself, and if you have done it, what lights did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 Jeep J10 Honcho SWB 5.3 4l60E NP241C viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22361
1979 Jeep J10 LWB (project/parts truck)
1989 GMC Jimmy (project)
Jeep Lover for life :fsj:

Topic author
thej10guy

Re: Lights behind grille?

Post by thej10guy »

This is the other version that I have seen. This one actually cuts up a razor grille to put the lights kind of flush with the grille. I’m not sure which idea I like better. For a good intact grille I wouldn’t want to cut it up but if it’s a little twisted, especially on the sides, this would be an ok idea in my opinion.

1989 GMC Jimmy (project)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

If you go to the Jeep Recycler's home page (jeeprecyclers.com), their cover SJ has that.

Personally I'd go for the rally lights like the Moby Dick and Moby Dick II had, but that's just me.

Found this when I was looking for a good shot of those tho...it had them cut out and it's the later '70s Cherokee rally car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Why would you intentionally block half of the light? If you want to put lights in this position, you have to cut the grille IMO. Also would question whether extra light at headlight level would help in daily driving. Check your state laws.

A strip of LED lights below bumper level would be more helpful on the trail and in fog IMO.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

Those are good points. I know that the law would be ok with the lights. Wisconsin state law says you can have up to 4 white lights at or below headlight level. Image
As I was looking for lights (note that these aren’t what I was looking for), I saw this, and I was like “Hey! I recognize that style front clip!” Interesting they would use an fsj front end instead of a cherokee or something because they share the same buckets as the square headlight fsj’s.

1989 GMC Jimmy (project)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Lol on the front clip thing.

If I'm totally honest, the only reason I'd want the second set of
lights is so that I can see a little better in the super thick fog/snow, but really that's fine as long as there's nobody coming at me, and/or the windshield is clear.

I'm getting pretty sick of the new cars with their lights. Can't see squat when when they're coming at me, even on low beams. I personally don't need it to be day light in front of me.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

Yeah I know it’s not really necessary but I like the idea of having more lights out front. I also wanna pay back some of the people with modern bright frickin headlights that blind you for 5 minutes. For the factory headlights I wanna keep the sealed beam look. I can get bright headlights for it that are sealed beam (my brother has them in his commanche) but it’s a lot of money. The way I see it is I can get brighter lights out front, keep the sealed beam look, and in theory it would be cheaper to find LEDs that fit those wholes than it would be to get the new bright sealed beam styles.

1989 GMC Jimmy (project)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

If you want the stock look, there are lots of options here:
https://www.octanelighting.com/auto-lig ... eadlights/

They have round ones too, but since you need square...

Looks like a reasonable price, too.

Keep in mind when you're blinding people back, now neither of you can see anything; at least before one person could see. Honestly it's gotten to the point where the hi beams are better than the low beams, because the fog lights come on with the low beams, and the fog lights are aimed straight for your eyes.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070