Wheel Spacers Up Front

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Scotty54

Wheel Spacers Up Front

Post by Scotty54 »

I have factory slotted wheels, 15 x 7 on my 77 Cherokee.
I am changing to 15 x 8 and found an aftermarket slotted wheel (US Mag U101) that resembles stock, although polished.
The 4" backspace is the same as the stock wheels, but that backspace puts the inside edge REALLY close to my tie rod ends (as they are now).
If the new wheels are actually 4-1/16" it may be too close.
The solution is wheel spacers. I wouldn't need more than .2 to .25 inch and I can't imagine there would be any negative effects.
However, the new wheel plus spacers changes offset which does widen the stance about 1" (wheel offset plus spacer would total 1/2" per side).
Again, this seems too little to cause problems.

Am I missing anything? (tire size won't be an issue, doing a 2" lift and will select a tire size that works, most likely 32x10.5)
1977 Cherokee Chief 401 QT
Northeast Tennessee

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Wheel Spacers Up Front

Post by Stuka »

The only way to get spacer that thin is one of ones that just floats between the wheel mounting surface and the wheel. This means the lug nuts will have less threads to grab. This tends to mean you need longer studs put into the hub. And that the studs will have more leverage applied to them.

Also be aware that many after market wheels that are 6x5.5 don't have a center hole large enough to clear the hubs on an older 4wd, as they are intended for newer GM and Toyota trucks that don't have hubs. So make sure you check the center hole diameter.

Oh, and be aware that the front axle is wider than the rear, and by only putting spacers up front, it will exaggerate that.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

They are made, I know Transdapt made them at one point, and I probably have a couple stashed away somewhere. As Stuka stated make certain that the wheel studs are long enough. Keep in mind, they are only too close if they rub. Mine are close enough to have worn the boot on the tierod but clear the metal parts, and are 4.5" backspace. I'm running a 77 axle so maybe you'll get lucky.

The center hole on the wheels you are looking at are 4.25", way larger than needed for your 77. Now if it was an early 5 lug truck they would need to be that large, but the later trucks have the smaller pilot. The required pilot for the later 6 lug trucks is 3.25", same as Ford, GM and some dodges.

Here's some spacers from summit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bae-2000039
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yeah, as Yeller said, if it's not touching the tie rod, the tie rod shouldn't move (relative to the wheel), so I would think you'd be fine.

BTW, do you want to sell one of the 15x7s? I wouldn't mind a matching spare when I swap to them... :-bd
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
Scotty54

Post by Scotty54 »

I planned on selling the wheels but it might be a few months. Mine are painted argent and the inside slots painted black. This was done by the PO but I like them. I will get a pick and post it.
1977 Cherokee Chief 401 QT
Northeast Tennessee

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Scotty54 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:27 pm I planned on selling the wheels but it might be a few months. Mine are painted argent and the inside slots painted black. This was done by the PO but I like them. I will get a pick and post it.
Alright, thanks! For a spare I'm less concerned about quality, just needs to look OK at a glance.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.