Best Transmission for AMC 401 and Atlas transfer case

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Pablo

Re: Best Transmission for AMC 401 and Atlas transfer case

Post by Pablo »

There are lots of good transmission options and advice posted above. All of the transmissions above can work fine... but... use that gear calculator and don't guess or you may be doing it twice:

Use the gear calculator to figure out how to hit the ideal engine RPM at cruise with your 401. If you want to cruise at 65 mph and get the best possible mileage and power response-- then target your gearing and tire combo to put the engine at the RPM that produces peak torque when you are cruising at 65 in top gear. If you want to cruise at 55mph on back roads more, then figure for that (or 60) instead.

Then figure out an acceptable off-road crawl ratio range, and take tgreese excellent post above into consideration. Since you are talking about an automatic transmission, gearing doesn't need to be as low as with a manual. Figure on a crawl ratio from 30 to 1 to the 60 to 1 range. Play with the available transmissions, t-cases and axle ratios to get matches that will be in the ballpark for cruising and for off-road. If you get the ratio's on the axle and transmission wrong-- it won't work optimally regardless of what axle, case or transmission you run. Your engine or transmission (or both) may overheat. Your fuel economy will likely stink (well, it is a 401-- so it ain't ever gonna be great) and even with the mighty 401 your Jeep will feel sluggish at times or your engine will be revving itself to death. It would be an expensive mistake to guess here and have to redo it or live with it.

I debated telling you this, since it isn't what you asked for advice about.. but:

A Dana 60 and an Atlas seems like lots of coin to spend on something that isn't "a serious offroader". There are lots of cheaper tough and durable options in the transfer case department if you don't need the steep low gearing or stupid tough competition level case (admittedly, I have not checked prices on used cases lately though). If you aren't planning on running 37 inch or larger tires, you probably don't need the Dana 60 either. It is lots of weight and less ground clearance over smaller options, which is critical on 35 inch and smaller tires. The cheapest option is to beef the stock axle. There is usually nothing wrong with a beefed Dana 44 or AMC on 35 inch or smaller diameter tires. Then there are other lighter custom options, something like a Currie full float conversion on a Ford 9 or a new built 44. Much more pricey, but so is building a 60 typically.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

will e

Post by will e »

joeljevning wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:24 am Great info, as far as the 4 speed, do you think it's necessary if i won't be using it as a serious offroader and just a sometimes type thing? I'm willing to go the extra but will I use it? will e, what rear axle are you running with that, i spoke with Yeller about a Dana 60 centered pinion on e bay that would be 61" finished out so the guy from Utah says, will the Dana 44 offset factory work ok with the Atlas besides wanting to upgrade to the 60?

As far as maintenance goes, I stay up with that, I like to go over board with everything and try to out flank any problems, thats where you guys come in and why i appreciate it all
A 4 speed isn't 'necessary' but I like the flexibility of running 2.0 on mild trails, 2.72 on more difficult trails and 5.44 when I meet a difficult climb.

I run 4.54 gears with a tf727. Details on my build are in my sig line.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Jevman

Post by Jevman »

Thanks will e!
78 Cherokee Chief W/T, 4" lift, 35x12.5R17 BFG TA's KO2's, 401, 700r4, Atlas II 3.0:1, 4.56, Pro Flow 4, CVF Serpentine System, E-Locker front, True Trac rear, Dakota Digital, Hydroboost Power Steering and Brake System, rear wheel disc conversion, E-Stopp Elec Brake Systm.