A few SOA Questions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author

A few SOA Questions

Post by 243 »

1. Is a high steer conversion necessary?
2. Is a rear shackle flip equal to the SOA?
3. What are good sources for factory springs?
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: A few SOA Questions

Post by Stuka »

1: Cross over steering is pretty much the minimum. Full high steer is an option, but not required. A drop pitman arm can function, but offroad the drag link will hit the spring. And there will be some bump steer on the street.

2: The shackle flip kits (for 76+ FSJs) were developed to work with an SOA. There are some variances as not all SOA's are the same. If using spring pads on the factory axle, or using an axle that is SOA from the factory, there will be some variance.

3: Hell Creek and BJ's both have stock height springs. Or you can go with some like Alcan (or similar custom spring company) if you want a custom spring rate or the like.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Thanks, it sounds like I should go all the way and do it right if SOA.

What is the less expensive option, SOA and high steer or custom springs for 3-4" lift and the correct spring rate?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

A 3-4 lift is much cheaper overall. Stock drive shafts work, in some cases stock brake lines even work. A 3-4" lift on an NT is good for 31-32" tires. Drop pitman arm, some longer shocks, and you are typically good to go.

An SOA you typically need at least a new front drive shaft (high angle), especially as you have QT so that shaft will always be spinning unless you have a part time kit. You may need to change the cross over pipe for the exhaust to clear the front drive shaft. Brake lines are a must, steering is a must (including at least one new or machined current knuckle for steering), longer shocks of course than a 4" lift. 31" tires look goofy, so you will spend more on tires. And then you will hate the gearing, so you will want to regear. And then an SOA on NT axles is not the most stable thing, so you may want wider or stronger axles to go with the larger tires.

But then, this tends to be how every Jeep project goes :)

I guess it comes down to want your end goals are. The SOA will ride nicer due to having stock height springs. You obviously have more clearances, and it will articulate better. But it does cost more.

The 3-4" lift is a day in the garage. An SOA is a lot more involved, and requires welding.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Then there is custom springs. Alcan, Deaver, ect. can make a leaf pack for a 3-4" lift that will ride exceptionally well, it is all about spring rates, spring design and equally important correct shock valving. In all of the custom suspension stuff I've done, it is very expensive do change a suspension design correctly that gives the drivability, stability, ride and general performance that is on par with what it came with originally. It is still expensive to do custom springs, but still less than a properly done SOA. In my opinion a properly done SOA will still require custom springs to be completely on par where they need to be.

Yes, there have been a ton of SOA conversions done and most are happy with them, but when you look at it from a vehicle dynamics point of view, they tend to be poor. Even most of the off the shelf replacement springs tend to be that way as well.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author

Post by 243 »

My signature was not up to date but it is now, 5.3 (L59), 4L60 rebuilt by me (hope it works LOL), NP241.

So I will be buying new driveshafts and after it's on the road re-gearing to 3.73-4.10, current is 2.73 I believe.

Honestly I would prefer correct springs over an SOA, kinda tires of dragging this build out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.