Steering wheel adapter

Modified FSJ Tech Area

SJTD

Re: Steering wheel adapter

Post by SJTD »

Hey Yeller, thanks for the pics. That wheel looks well made unlike others that have the exposed cut on the spokes or separate pieces on each spoke.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I like the idea of installing a smaller wheel but at the same time I don't want to lose the look, and I kind of like where it lines up.

But if anybody knows of a 2-spoke wheel that I can put the Jeep horn logo into, I may go for that (snort, as if)
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
Yeller

Post by Yeller »

sierrablue wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:24 pm I like the idea of installing a smaller wheel but at the same time I don't want to lose the look, and I kind of like where it lines up.

But if anybody knows of a 2-spoke wheel that I can put the Jeep horn logo into, I may go for that (snort, as if)
Working on it😉
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I mean, if you've got a big enough 3D printer it should be pretty quick and easy really...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Working on this. Haven’t ordered it yet, it fairly expensive at $240 and is available with different colored grips. The Jeep emblem is the tricky part but think it will be doable, my buddy that plays with 3d printing is playing with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Nice, that's awesome!

I think I actually kind of like the big wheel--I may play with valving and/or electric power steering and just get it dialed in where I need/want it, and keep the big wheel. All that really bothers me about it is the feel. Or, my upper body needs some more muscle anyway--maybe I'll just throw a manual box on and call it done :)
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
Yeller

Post by Yeller »

For me the smaller wheel is all about increasing the feel of the steering. Smaller wheel equals smaller movements to keep the truck tracking straight. I keep threatening to build a 2 turn box, I despise a 4 turn, feel the 6 turn is undrivable, 3 turn is a huge improvement, and livable with a 13-14” wheel.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

For me, as long as it turns as it turns when I tell it to (and in the right direction), and it doesn't hit the stops too early, I'm happy 😂

Tho I will say that on my grandpa's '57 Olds, the steering is WAY over-boosted, AND it's like 6 or 8 turns lock to lock, and that is WAY too many turns.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Srdayflyer

Re: Steering wheel

Post by Srdayflyer »

im looking for information from the group regarding a steering wheel swap, i want to replace the steering wheel in my 1983 cherokee with something new as my factor wheel is cracked and missing large pieces all information is appreciated,

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

'83 is a standard GM column--pretty much any GM or Jeep from the mid-'70s ('73 on the FSJs) will have a wheel that fits.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070