Getting started on a 74 Chief

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Yeller

Re: Getting started on a 74 Chief

Post by Yeller »

You're welcome. Always happy to lend information, been there and done a lot. I try really hard to not sound or be arrogant, one of the last impressions I want leave. I just want you to make educated decisions and have eyes wide open since most everyone knows how “project creep” can creep up and be a harsh teacher. Nothing like buying a bunch of components that you commit to use and then after you have investment finding out that you are half way there or they don’t work as well together as you thought.

I used to build (will again if I ever get to where I have the time) turn key rock crawling buggies. People would spend 10’s of thousands of dollars on drivetrain components, axles, engines, transmissions, tcase, tires, wheels, shocks, and winches. Come to me and say I have xxxx stuff and want to build a car, only to figure out that they are only halfway to the goal, they would be devastated. The big components are great but it it’s all small stuff that costs real money, and time. I’m all for anyone building and doing what they want but I do my best to make sure they are looking at the reality of the whole picture which sometimes is a mood and deal breaker.

My other habit is early Bronco’s, I see people spending fortunes on them and finding out they have no idea or desire to deal with 50 year old car issues, they are beside themselves that they spent all this money and now it won’t start or it overheats and in their opinion the previous owner or builder is shady, maybe… maybe not, they are old vehicles and have issues you don’t have with your new Mercedes lol

PS:
No offense meant to anyone who owns a Mercedes, just making a point and that’s what popped on my head.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
Chief_of_Chiefs

Post by Chief_of_Chiefs »

Yeller wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:25 pm You're welcome. Always happy to lend information, been there and done a lot. I try really hard to not sound or be arrogant, one of the last impressions I want leave. I just want you to make educated decisions and have eyes wide open since most everyone knows how “project creep” can creep up and be a harsh teacher. Nothing like buying a bunch of components that you commit to use and then after you have investment finding out that you are half way there or they don’t work as well together as you thought.

I used to build (will again if I ever get to where I have the time) turn key rock crawling buggies. People would spend 10’s of thousands of dollars on drivetrain components, axles, engines, transmissions, tcase, tires, wheels, shocks, and winches. Come to me and say I have xxxx stuff and want to build a car, only to figure out that they are only halfway to the goal, they would be devastated. The big components are great but it it’s all small stuff that costs real money, and time. I’m all for anyone building and doing what they want but I do my best to make sure they are looking at the reality of the whole picture which sometimes is a mood and deal breaker.

My other habit is early Bronco’s, I see people spending fortunes on them and finding out they have no idea or desire to deal with 50 year old car issues, they are beside themselves that they spent all this money and now it won’t start or it overheats and in their opinion the previous owner or builder is shady, maybe… maybe not, they are old vehicles and have issues you don’t have with your new Mercedes lol

PS:
No offense meant to anyone who owns a Mercedes, just making a point and that’s what popped on my head.

Completely understand. I've been down this path many times before and I've found a budget is more of a rough guideline to follow. I build off of intended use and the 75% best part idea. I'm not maxing it, but I want quality and longevity. A lot of the time that increases cost. 4x4 and Jeep are two new things for me, so I hope to build something interesting that is fun to use. I like driving old stuff, it's a rolling art piece when I'm done with it.. just hopefully not so nice I dont want to drive it. Ha!

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I’m excited to see what you come up with. I quit building show cars long ago because art that was unique and got used was far more interesting. I also have a lust for the outdoors and being able to combine the 2 makes nirvana for me. I really developed a love for the mechanics of off roading and got way carried away with the extreme side of the sport for a few decades. Still love that part but have really developed a thirst for “what’s over that mountain or around that bend?” So my personal builds have taken more of a driving freindly approach that is comfortable, reliable, and capable. I really enjoy and admire seeing what others come up with, especially those that build to completion enough to actually use them, and enjoy them.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
Chief_of_Chiefs

Anyone used these before?

https://www.generalspringkc.com/leaf-sp ... e-j10-j20/

Like with other car parts I've learned.. usually there are really only one or two main suppliers, and then everyone re brands the stuff and adds X% on top of it while painting their logo on it. Is this the same case? Feeling like these guys are the main suppliers.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Several offer what seems to be the same product, which I think is sourced from Dayton.
http://beta2.daytonparts.com/info_site/ ... 20Products

Jeep springs were offered under the Dayton name on RockAuto a while back. Still some Dayton products there, but apparently not for Jeeps. If you search by the SKU on the General Spring site, you will find other sellers. Likely even more sellers are offering these springs, but have chosen to use their own stocking numbers.

Dayton may allow you to look at their product catalog if you create an account. You could also try any truck suspension shops near you to see if they can help you. Take the page and SKUs with you and ask what they can do re price. I think the shipping will be a big part of the purchase price; something to discuss with any suppliers.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

There was a guy whom did one earlier this year, Cant recall his combo. That would be my first step is contact others and get their take was they did and why .
An LS is a beast engine so definitely would make sure the TC isn't over-powered weak link in the deal.
I think this board would be a great stadium of onlookers to watch what you did and choices ...
I'd like to know which route you took and why and what obstacles & solutions etc..
The one I reference he has or has for sale at 66K, a virtually 100% NEW everything truck w killer drive train in it, turnkey ready to go..

Topic author
Chief_of_Chiefs

Ended up buying BJ's off Road 4" lift kit and Fox shocks. More than I really wanted to spend but it's on its way (shocks are mostly likely reason for that). I found out the 74/75 had unique suspension which may be why it was a little more pricey over other FSJ kits. Either way, x4 new springs and some other bits to get it going. Not sure if I should do the engine swap with transmission and T-case first or the lift. Thinking the engine first as it will keep everything lower for the engine swap and hoist.