Team Grand Wagoneer Shackle review

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
will e

Team Grand Wagoneer Shackle review

Post by will e »

I went to replace the bushings in my shackles but ran into a problem. The shackles I have include a dimple pressed into them that makes it pretty much impossible to press out the old bushings and press in new ones.

Since my original plan was to pay someone to do the job (which I decided against because I am often not happy with the quality of shop work) I felt it was okay to spend a bit of extra cash on the Team Grand Wagoneer Shacks.

https://teamgrandwagoneer.com/heavy-dut ... 1974-1991/

They are not inexpensive. $224.95 for a set of 4. About twice what you pay for stock type replacements. But I saved more than this on labor costs, so it was easy to justify.

The packaging is first rate. Each shackle is wrapped in bubble wrap and then taped up and placed into a box with its counterpart. Two boxes of shackles are then placed inside another box for shipping and that is also well protected. One set is marked 'front' and the other 'rear'.
Physically the set is identical but they laser cut "TGW" into the shackles and so to read it correctly there is a front and rear. Since I did a shackle flip my rears still read upside down.

They seem well made with good welds. The bushing sleeve mates well with the bolt. No slop.

They are powder coated and that caused the holes for the spring bolt to be a bit tight but with a few test fittings of the bolt they opened up a bit.

They are also just a bit taller than the stock shackles. Since I am shackle flipped in the back this added a little bit of height to my ride overall.

This is a comparison of the rear shackle:

You can see in the picture the dimple on the stock shackle. I didn't realize it was there and tried pressing it out with a hydraulic press.

And the front:

See how the TGW laser cut is flipped for the front.

Here is my old bushings
That was all that was left of the rubber on the driver side and the passenger side (on the right) fell right out. So this should cure my 'clunking' in the front end...

Overall I am happy with the upgraded shackles. Good quality work, finish, shipping and the price isn't too crazy. I would do it again.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Team Grand Wagoneer Shackle review

Post by Stuka »

Those look a lot stronger than the OEM ones. And slightly longer, so the shackle hopefully doesnt invert.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Regarding the dimple in the rear shackle, the bushing is a replaceable part. Listed in the factory parts book. Never replaced these for a wagon, but they can be a pain to remove in other applications.

Does the bushing have a steel outer sleeve?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Stuka wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:43 am Those look a lot stronger than the OEM ones. And slightly longer, so the shackle hopefully doesnt invert.
I am wondering about them inverting too. I'll take a couple of pics once they are settled.

They are definitely stronger but then the question is will the frame mounts now take more punishment and is that a good thing? Time will tell...
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

tgreese wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:41 am Regarding the dimple in the rear shackle, the bushing is a replaceable part. Listed in the factory parts book. Never replaced these for a wagon, but they can be a pain to remove in other applications.

Does the bushing have a steel outer sleeve?
Yes, the bushing has a steel outer sleeve. Perhaps you could buy just the rubber part? All of the replacement I found (and I didn't to an exhaustive search) included the steel outer sleeve.

I took one to a local spring shop and he was going to press it out and came back and said with the dimple there was no way to get the old one out.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Those are Nice Shackles

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

will e wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:38 am I am wondering about them inverting too. I'll take a couple of pics once they are settled.
With them being longer, it should be harder for them to invert. Its really most likely to happen with the OEM short shackles.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

The replacements have an outer sleeve? They look like urethane, not so? First time I've heard of urethane bushings having an outer sleeve.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

No, the replacements do not have an outer sleeve. I did replace the bushings in the spring pack, it does have an outer sleeve but I used rubber bushings (got them from BJ's).

I hope that makes it more clear, sorry if I caused confusion.