Added aftermarket gauges

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
will e

Added aftermarket gauges

Post by will e »

I've seen this setup before in a few other rigs and really liked how it looked. Basically the glove box door is used for mounting gauges. I used 2 1/16" gauges from Autometer. Their 'cobalt' line looks similar to our stock gauges. After doing some measuring I figured I could fit 6 gauges so I got a hole saw and got to work.
First thing was to remove the door, measure a bit more and drill some holes. I covered the door when I was going to drill with duct tape and this actually came in handy for 'measuring' because I could count the perforations in the duct tape.

It's a pretty tight fit, I probably cut the holes just a bit too 'high'

You can see how it gets some of the inner lip at the top.

I was a bit concerned at first that cutting out this much material would make the door flimsy but it's not a problem, the door is double walled. I was curious as to how much weight I was adding. Looks like just under 20 ounces.

The door itself weighs just under 30oz.

Here it is installed (but not all of the gauges are hooked up yet). I would note that the farthest right gauge is a bit difficult to see. I am going to put the volt meter there. Also, the far left gauge gets blocked a bit by the steering wheel. That's going to get the fuel pressure gauge.

The guages fit very snug in the holes, in fact I used a files to open a few of them up a bit ore. So I am not going to bother with the mounting hardware. (I had two gauges already and they have been fine for the past few years).

You can see I got rid of the glove box a while ago but I think this would work with glove box still in place (although it takes up most of the space).

Next step is to wire up the gauges. When I am done from left to right:

Fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, trans temp, AFR and volts. I am also going to add an 'idiot light' (led) for low oil pressure.

I picked up one of these and test fit it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P ... UTF8&psc=1

This will be used for pressure, temp, idiot light and also fuel pump shutoff switch.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Added aftermarket gauges

Post by Stuka »

Cool, always nice to have more data.

Hope you don't need to replace your wheel lock key though ;)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

That looks cool great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Interesting idea
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

rstep

Post by rstep »

Great idea and look. I like it.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620