Rusty's 6 inch lift install questions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Yogi

Rusty's 6 inch lift install questions

Post by Yogi »

Hi, jeepers. I'm planning on installing my rusty's 6 inch lift this spring and have been reading up some on the topic. One thread I read from the mothership says something about having to mount the rear shocks upside down or else beat them on!
What?! I sure haven't heard that one before. Just wondering what kind of surprises I might be in for as a total newbie. Makes me wonder. Seems like a pretty simple thing to do, but then I hear stuff like this. Any other stuff I should know that's gonna cause me to say" nobody ever mentioned this!"
I'm doing this to a 79 wagoneer limited.

SJTD

Re: Rusty's 6 inch lift install questions

Post by SJTD »

Idunno.

But if you do, make sure they are shocks that will funcfuncfunction properly inverted.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

So, this isn't the case for everybody. For J-Trucks, its a requirement.

For Waggies and Cherokees, it varies. Basically, it depends on the lower shock mounts, and how far down they were mounted at the factory. On my '75 Cherokee, I was able to mount them normally. If you have the issue, you can optionally cut them off, and weld them on at a different angle.

You should also be aware that some shocks don't work upside down.

Other things to note is the driver side, front eye spring mount. Sometimes you have to partially pull the fuel tank back to get to the inner bolt.

Another thing is getting the spring eye of the rear springs into the shackle. Sometimes you need to put a block of wood between the spring and the body, and put a jack under the spring. This is so that you can flatten it out some so you can get a bolt through the spring eye into the shackle.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

You will need to lengthen the drive shafts.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Yogi

Post by Yogi »

Yeah, I did dropped the tank already since the thing sat for 15 years. Switching to poly tank. And yeah, I am expecting to have to lengthen drive shafts since I will be off roading the thing and flexing it out. Hopefully my exhaust pipe will be ok. Somebody installed a 2.5 inch pipe long ago. Should help with power, though. Thanks, guys.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yogi wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:46 am Yeah, I did dropped the tank already since the thing sat for 15 years. Switching to poly tank. And yeah, I am expecting to have to lengthen drive shafts since I will be off roading the thing and flexing it out. Hopefully my exhaust pipe will be ok. Somebody installed a 2.5 inch pipe long ago. Should help with power, though. Thanks, guys.
I had to redo the driver side cross over on my '75. As the drive shaft wanted to go straight through it. So I had it routed back like 8" or so.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Yogi

Post by Yogi »

Well, my fingers are crossed...

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Regarding the rear shock issue, I have the fix. These brackets provide several mounting options to clear the axle/shock tube issue. https://rocklaurencevintageautoparts.co ... after-lift

Topic author
Yogi

Post by Yogi »

Cool