Beginning to hate my wheels

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Beginning to hate my wheels

Post by sonoraed »

These wheels are 16x8 MT’s with 35” TA’s and 1” spacers , hate the spacers! Wondering if a black wheel might look better I could have these powder coated, what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akguy09

Re: Beginning to hate my wheels

Post by akguy09 »

I like them as is, but you have to look at it every day
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I think it will look good either way, black or as is. I'm with you on wheel spacers. Other option is to go to a 10" wheel that you may like better. That would move the centerline of the tire/wheel relationship 1" eliminating the need for the spacer provided they have the same back spacing as the 8" wheels. Wheels are such a personal choice, I wound up with 15's when I really wanted 16's or 17's, just based on looks, cost and availability of the larger wheels.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

akguy09 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:09 am I like them as is, but you have to look at it every day
I like the wheels they kind of look like the wheels the truck came with when it was new, originally didn't care for black wheels thought might as well just paint the stock wheels black, but because most everything else is black wondering if black might blend in better and make the color pop.

I put this truck in a lot of car shows and get a lot of looks from the public and minor awards from the judges, these shows have probuilt cars that cosr 3 or 4 K to build and am looking for something to take it over the top.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Yeller wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:19 am I think it will look good either way, black or as is. I'm with you on wheel spacers. Other option is to go to a 10" wheel that you may like better. That would move the centerline of the tire/wheel relationship 1" eliminating the need for the spacer provided they have the same back spacing as the 8" wheels. Wheels are such a personal choice, I wound up with 15's when I really wanted 16's or 17's, just based on looks, cost and availability of the larger wheels.
Had to go with at least 16" wheels to clear the brakes, don't care for the "Bro Truck" with 25" wheels on a jacked up 2wd, for me the wheels that are on the truck now fit my generations view of what was cool, my son hates the wheels and want something more current!

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

sonoraed wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:43 am Had to go with at least 16" wheels to clear the brakes, don't care for the "Bro Truck" with 25" wheels on a jacked up 2wd, for me the wheels that are on the truck now fit my generations view of what was cool, my son hates the wheels and want something more current!
I'm with you on that! no way I'd go larger than a 17 with a 35" tire. For me the reasons for going to a 16 or 17 was I really wanted to go 8 lug to make use of parts on hand and have some swap ability with other vehicles I own, alas I caved and stayed with 5x5.5 and 15" I just couldn't find a wheel with the look I wanted in 8 lug.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

You may be able to get away without spacers using a 10" wheel as mentioned above. That would pull the tire out some. I know with 15x8's on my J10 I had like 1/4" of clearance in back between the springs and tires. Its was very tight. And 16's have more back spacing, which sucks them in, hence your spacers.

You could easily get custom wheels with different back spacing, but those are big money for alloys. Steelies from Stockton Wheel aren't too bad.

I like black wheels myself. You could also go with a two tone look. Black or polished with the body color inside the holes.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Maybe some 5 Slot MAG Ansen wheels 17x9? They are a copy of the Ansen wheels on everything in the '70s

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Stuka wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:07 pm You may be able to get away without spacers using a 10" wheel as mentioned above. That would pull the tire out some. I know with 15x8's on my J10 I had like 1/4" of clearance in back between the springs and tires. Its was very tight. And 16's have more back spacing, which sucks them in, hence your spacers.

You could easily get custom wheels with different back spacing, but those are big money for alloys. Steelies from Stockton Wheel aren't too bad.

I like black wheels myself. You could also go with a two tone look. Black or polished with the body color inside the holes.
I know you tried to steer me toward black wheels when I was in the build stage and I resisted .
When looking at the truck my eyes are drawn to the wheels and not the truck body hence thinking black wheels would fade to the background and blend with the overall package.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

rocklaurence wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:55 am Maybe some 5 Slot MAG Ansen wheels 17x9? They are a copy of the Ansen wheels on everything in the '70s
To me that's kind of what I have now although somewhat modernized

coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

Hey there folks
I’ll tell you what I want to do. You can beat me to it
Custom 17 or 18” color matched steel wheel with Kaiser era hub caps. Kind of setup like Chevy rally wheels. Someone here has the set for stock size wheels. Sorry don’t know his name.

oregonphil

Post by oregonphil »

Sonoraed, I have those same wheels in black (15x8), I like 'um.

77sj 401 warmed over
72 Commando basically stock
07 Siena should last forever
76 FLH just for fun

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I like the shiny wheels but I think you're right about black blending in better. The chromey look really draws the eye and detracts from the rest of the truck. And powder coated wheels would be a lot easier to care for than the plain unanodized aluminum of the M/T's.

Maybe a good photoshopper could fake it for you before you spend the bucks.

I agree about the rubber band look though 17's would be far from that with 35's.

10" Width might solve your problem as was suggested but I don't like the bloated low rider look of wide wheels. But you you wouldn't really have that with only 10 inchers that would still be narrower than the treads.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I'm sort of in this boat right now. I'd like to say the black would look best but I'm biased that way. I'm looking for some black or subdued color... but not wanting to go above 32" tire. I would get rid of the spacers and repaint them with a temporary coat of paint, I think Dupli color has them.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

BaldBeardedBastard

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

Not real editing, but here is some colorization of your existing wheels.

Your paint color with the bronze wheels does look great imo, but they aren't for everyone. Hopefully this helps a bit. ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

I like the bronze

1975 jeep j10
360 4bbl
Turbo400
Qudratrac w/part time kit
Dana 44’s front and rear

teking

Post by teking »

sonoraed wrote:Image

These wheels are 16x8 MT’s with 35” TA’s and 1” spacers , hate the spacers! Wondering if a black wheel might look better I could have these powder coated, what do you think?

Allow me to pause during lunch to say ..... nice truck man!!!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Thanks for the bronze/black mock ups I do like the macho look with black wheels, my son who built the truck with me wants 20"s for the Tonka truck look.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Pulled the trigger and getting wheels powder coated Flash Rust kind of a rusty copper, truck looks better without the wheels on it!Image

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Oh cool. Interested to see how it comes out.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ