LS Swap - AC

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
refinemrh

LS Swap - AC

Post by refinemrh »

I am in the middle of my LS swap on my 83 Cherokee Laredo. I wanted to see if anyone has installed the rear AC unit from a Chevy Tahoe/Suburban as an add on to a Vintage Air AC Unit?

My mechanic and I are thinking of doing this.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: LS Swap - AC

Post by Stuka »

I have not dug in to find the post, but somebody here did install rear AC. The ducts basically went under the center console and out the back so people in the back seat could have cold air pointed on them. As long as you have a way to shut those ducts off when you don't want them on (to give more air up front), I cannot think of any real downsides.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Has the OP compared the interior volume of the donor Tahoe/Suburban to his Cherokee? These Jeeps are short and narrow compared to modern vehicles. Might also be worthwhile to check with VIntage Air about their experience ducting cool air to the back of a vehicle. I kinda suspect it would make more sense to go larger on the main unit and plan to direct more output to the rear, rather than make a separate evaporator and fan for the back seat (presuming that's what the OP is suggesting).
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
refinemrh

Post by refinemrh »

Tim,

Thanks for your response. We are looking at installing this in the back cavity on the passenger side behind the rear wheel. It will stick out some but will give us a lot more cooling along with the Vintage Air unit.

Regards,

Mike