Weber carb install question.

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Swbtwo

Weber carb install question.

Post by Swbtwo »

I have a Weber 32/36 DGEV on order. I have the wiring harness out of the engine compartment for unrelated issues and wonder what’s the best of the numerous old carb related circuits to use for the new electric choke?

For reference, it’s an 1982 4.2 with an HEI distributor and all of the computer/smog related equipment removed.
1986 Grand Wagoneer
1982 J10 4.2 equipped, 4 speed
South East USA

tgreese

Re: Weber carb install question.

Post by tgreese »

Suggest you use a relay activated by the ignition via an oil pressure switch. Holley sells parts for this - and likely has a tech note on their site. Their OPS may not need a relay.

You are not helpless ... https://www.bing.com/search?q=wiring+electric+choke ;)
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Swbtwo

Post by Swbtwo »

tgreese wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:56 am Suggest you use a relay activated by the ignition via an oil pressure switch. Holley sells parts for this - and likely has a tech note on their site. Their OPS may not need a relay.

You are not helpless ... https://www.bing.com/search?q=wiring+electric+choke ;)
I very much appreciate the help, sorry if I’m wearing out my welcome. With a carb solenoid and a choke switch circuit already available, I assumed most people would use one of those two. It’s not addressed in the instructions beyond “connect original choke wire”. Come to think of it, cutting out that switch and going straight to the “choke feed” seems simple enough.

While I have you, just to demonstrate how far from shore I am on the topic, what’s OPS stand for? Google was no help.
Last edited by Swbtwo on Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1986 Grand Wagoneer
South East USA

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Oil Pressure Switch - sorry my bad - one is supposed to introduce acronyms like this: oil pressure switch (OPS). I thought it would be obvious from the context.

You need to connect it to the ignition somehow, so the choke element starts heating as the engine warms up. The OPS is in there to stop the choke from opening if the key is on and the engine is not running. A relay takes the current load from the choke element off of whatever circuit triggers the choke.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Swbtwo

Post by Swbtwo »

tgreese wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:40 am Oil Pressure Switch - sorry my bad - one is supposed to introduce acronyms like this: oil pressure switch (OPS). I thought it would be obvious from the context.

You need to connect it to the ignition somehow, so the choke element starts heating as the engine warms up. The OPS is in there to stop the choke from opening if the key is on and the engine is not running. A relay takes the current load from the choke element off of whatever circuit triggers the choke.
OPS is crystal clear in retrospect. :-bd

It’s not in use with the computer gone (oil sensor next to it still is) but I see no reason to not use it for this.

Thanks again.
1986 Grand Wagoneer
South East USA