Recommendations - new wiper motor upgrades and hydroboost

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Recommendations - new wiper motor upgrades and hydroboost

Post by Laredo Matt »

I'm moving along on my build project and thinking about perhaps getting new wiper motors.

The original wiper motors work fine but I think are somewhat limited if I recall from the one time I used them. Looking for a more modern motor with multiple speed settings, intermittent modes etc.

Not trying to create more work for myself so may not do it if a lot of mods are needed to make them work. I'm hoping I can find something from a newer model year jeep or other vehicle that drops in easy without having to replace everything else. Thought it was worth an ask.

Aslo plan to switch to hydroboost brake set up. I can buy a new unit from BJs but hoping to save a bit and buy a used or reconditioned part. Every little bit helps and I've splurged on a few other items. I've read here I think that mid 80s chevy s10 unit is a good match. Any other units that work I should be considering?

any thoughts appreciated
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

runuover86gw

Re: Recommendations - new wiper motor upgrades and hydroboost

Post by runuover86gw »

I sent you an email on an idea I have for the wiper part of your question. I started a new email thread. Lol
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

runuover86gw wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:57 am I sent you an email on an idea I have for the wiper part of your question. I started a new email thread. Lol
got it...thanks. New thread was definitely in order :-bd
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

BaldBeardedBastard

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

Interested in what you come up with improved wiper motors.

For hydro boost I went with BJs- the bolt on convenience sold me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

BaldBeardedBastard wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:12 pm Interested in what you come up with improved wiper motors.

For hydro boost I went with BJs- the bolt on convenience sold me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
My idea for him was just changing out the non-intermittent switch for an intermittent switch with module. It is a plug and play option that gives you the multiple speeds and an intermittent function. I have a few of the intermittent switches with modules if you are interested in seeing what they look like, unless you already have that.

Josh
1986 Comanche

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Are those the same intermittent modules that are used in the YJ/XJ? If so, have a pile of broken intermittent modules. They seem to age poorly and cause the whole system to run slow since they can't pull power through the module (removing the module results in full two-speed operation but with the loss of intermittent). I am going to talk to a friend about what would be involved in making a replacement for them as there are tons of YJ's and XJ's out there still, most with intermittent module issues.

I looked at the Detroit Speed for a solution for the earlier 60's Wag. My year uses the same two speed GM motor that is on Chevy C trucks. What I saw on Detroit speed was pricey, but it should just bolt right up and give you intermittent, low & high along with washer. I am still on the fence about it. I will see how my stock two speed motor works and if I can't live with it I may pull the $500+ trigger on the Detroit. I really don't like that the motor and switch are some botique parts that I can't get at Napa/RockAuto.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

Pablo wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:37 am Are those the same intermittent modules that are used in the YJ/XJ? If so, have a pile of broken intermittent modules. They seem to age poorly and cause the whole system to run slow since they can't pull power through the module (removing the module results in full two-speed operation but with the loss of intermittent). I am going to talk to a friend about what would be involved in making a replacement for them as there are tons of YJ's and XJ's out there still, most with intermittent module issues.

I looked at the Detroit Speed for a solution for the earlier 60's Wag. My year uses the same two speed GM motor that is on Chevy C trucks. What I saw on Detroit speed was pricey, but it should just bolt right up and give you intermittent, low & high along with washer. I am still on the fence about it. I will see how my stock two speed motor works and if I can't live with it I may pull the $500+ trigger on the Detroit. I really don't like that the motor and switch are some botique parts that I can't get at Napa/RockAuto.
I think the modules you are talking about are for 86+. The module for the 85 and older are a different style module. They are not the ones that mount to the back of the dash with the velcro.
1986 Comanche