J-10 Cranks, but no start

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Stoney

J-10 Cranks, but no start

Post by Stoney »

1979 J-10 with AMC 360 V8 is cranking but will not start.

I've troubleshooted the fuel and replaced the fuel filter and the mechanical fuel pump... all good.
I'm pretty damn sure I've narrowed it down to the ignition system and have a few options as far as i know. Trouble is that electrical is my worse area of knowledge.

option 1
Bypass the upgraded ignition system
20210213_085122_resized.jpg
20210213_085111_resized.jpg
the issue with this is that im not sure how to revert back to the stock ignition system. this thing has a whole mess of wires coming out of it.

Option 2
Replace the distributor with DUI that has a built in coil

the issue with this is the same as the other option, not exactly sure how I'd wire it up to bypass those upgraded parts

i could really use some help here, especially since the HOA is on my ass about the truck taking up a parking spot . thanks in advance for any advice
Joops.jpg
The more you yell at the Jeep, the better it'll behave :fsj:
'91 YJ - '97 XJ - '01 XJ - '79 J-10

will e

Re: J-10 Cranks, but no start

Post by will e »

Hey! I am pretty good at the electrical stuff and with the help of everyone we can get ya going again. It will probably take several back and forth posts as we learn a bit more and trouble shoot some stuff.

1. The pictures you tried to post do not work for me. I just see the text name for the picture.
2. To really confirm it is the ignition system, spray a bit of starting fluid or dump a couple of table spoons of fuel down the carb. If it runs for a few seconds, it's a fuel issue.
3. Has it ever run for you?
4. What is 'the upgraded ignition system'.
5. When you are cranking is it 'trying' to start, sputtering at all or just cranking over with no indication it is even trying to start?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Call your attention to this site - https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html There is a full 1979 TSM here with charts on diagnosing and fixing a no-start condition.

There is also complete wiring diagrams that should help you make sense of the wiring.

If you pictures are smaller than ca 800x600 you can drag-and-drop them into the "full" editor. If you are reading on a computer, there are many picture resizing programs available. Or use Tapatalk on your phone, which will resize for you.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

ForestG

Post by ForestG »

I am experiencing the same thing. As always, in my 4 yrs of owning it never a starting issue. Drove it into shop to replace the radiator and went to start it up to finish and just cranks - just fine and fast. I did the starting fluid thing first and nothing. The distributor has been replaced with HEI. I too am not much on electrical.
I am "NEW" to FSJNetwork, but have seen a lot of helpful advice from WILLIE E and TGREESE. Not sure if STONEY got it resolved, but I would like to get this truck running.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Fuel and spark. Cranks and no start means either no spark or no or too much fuel. You tried the starting fluid and no change.

A shot of starting fluid probably will overcome a flooded condition, but you should check for that. You're sure it's not flooded? Whenever I use the starting fluid, I put my largest screwdriver in the choke flap to hold it open.

Still does not start, check for power at the distributor with the key on. Use your multimeter or a test light. Remove a plug wire and set it on top of the engine, crank and watch for spark (don't start a fire or shock yourself). If power to the distributor and no spark at the plug wire, it's either the ignition coil or the ignition module. Both are inside the distributor.
Last edited by tgreese on Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

ForestG

Post by ForestG »

Thank you TGREESE. I will try that in a little while and reply.

ForestG

Post by ForestG »

Good evening, Short version of my find is the place that put in the HEI distributor spot soldered the HOT wire (coming from ignition maybe) and a heavier wire going to BATT of HEI coil. There must have been a weak spot because enow the 2 have come apart and I have NO IDEA how to splice those together. I will attempt to add a picture of the wires before and after separation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you have two wires going into one, or a larger wire to a smaller one, there are specialized connectors for that. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-Marine-Ste ... B008F8Z46O

You could also solder the wires together, then cover with heat shrink tubing.

I'd avoid any connector meant for house wiring, like a wire nut. These are meant for solid wire that does not move.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

ForestG

Post by ForestG »

I did get it fixed. I have gone around and around to solder or use the solder style butt connectors. I chose solder style butt connectors. I'm not sure I did them "completely" correct after the fact, however, THEY WORKED ! Truck fired instantly!

Now I am on to learn more about the vacuum system and PCV workings - in another POST I'm sure.

ForestG

Post by ForestG »

I will get the "step down". Had to do over again... I would have soldered the #18(?) ignition wire to the #12 distributor wire and joined together. Oh well... What I did learn is I can run new wire if needed... it's just time.
I appreciate the assistance!