S10 Steering for a 76 Help Please

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
mattparliament

S10 Steering for a 76 Help Please

Post by mattparliament »

Hey guys! I'm winding down on projects for my 76 Cherokee. It's time to address the steering. I've been reading and reading the forum looking for answers to my questions on how to do the S10 steering box swap for a pre 80 FSJ and can't find the details I need. Sorry if I'm revisiting a well known topic.

What year of S10 box do I need?

I know I have flared fittings and the S10 box uses O-ring fittings, are there adapters or do I ask NAPA to make me some new ones (if they still do that)?

Thanks guys I'm all ears and ready to address this issue!

Follow up:
I've ordered a gear box for a 2003 S10 4wd and some power steering lines for an 85 Wagoneer to get the o-ring type lines and an adapter for the pump fitting. It's a start, hopefully she bolts in cleanly, everything is the right size and the steering issues are tightened up. Am I missing anything? Everything else is tight under there and I've addressed my castor angle with a wedge and have the drop pitman arm, there's no reason that the "wandering" should be happening on the road. I'm addressing the little things that annoy me so I can talk myself into keeping the beast!

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: S10 Steering for a 76 Help Please

Post by Stuka »

I think what you ordered should work.

As for wandering, that's typically an issue of alignment. The S10 box will make the steering heavier, as its less boosted. And if the stock box is worn out, the new box should make the dead zone smaller.

But if you are truly having wandering issues, you should have the toe-in and caster angle checked. Especially if you have a shackle lift, or bad spring/shackle bushings.

EDIT: I just recalled, I think your rag joint will be wrong. You can try it, but I think you will need a different one.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
mattparliament

Re: S10 Steering for a 76 Help Please

Post by mattparliament »

I will check fitment when everything arrives, hopefully the rag joint works but if not I'll get a new one. Any ideas on which rag joint would be appropriate?