78 Cherokee Spring Sag Questions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
MadMax78

78 Cherokee Spring Sag Questions

Post by MadMax78 »

I have a 78 Cherokee with TTs Fabworks shackle flip to compensate for a SOA front. The rear springs were on it when I bought it. Don’t know anything about them. The fronts are stock height replacements from BJs. I was removing the driveshafts and noticed that they were both fully compressed. I haven’t had shocks on it for about a year as it has been out of commission. My question is, would sitting without shocks cause the springs to sag and compress the driveshafts?Would it sitting for a long period of time with no shocks cause this? I’m in the process of getting it back on the road and now it seems I need new driveshafts. Do shocks hold the vehicle up enough to keep the driveshafts from compressing fully?
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Yeller

Re: 78 Cherokee Spring Sag Questions

Post by Yeller »

Not having shocks will not cause the suspension to sag. They do not provide suspension suport. My guess is driveshafts we’re measured without the suspension compressed
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yeller wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:10 am Not having shocks will not cause the suspension to sag. They do not provide suspension suport. My guess is driveshafts we’re measured without the suspension compressed
X2, shocks are only a Damper. Also, there is the potential that a compressed drive shaft can break the Tcase attachment. Get it fixed before using it.

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I didn’t think the shocks provided any support but wanted to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind. The funny thing is that nothing has changed suspension wise. Drive shafts are the same
ones that came on it when I bought it. Have never noticed this before. Guess I’ll be headed to the driveshaft shop. Ouch. Just odd that they had plenty of slip before. Hmm.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition