Front shackles question

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Grand Slam

Front shackles question

Post by Grand Slam »

Had a BJ's 4 inch lift installed on my '89 Wagoneer. The guy that installed it tightened everything up before lowering it back down and flexing it a few times. Now my front shackles are basically vertical. Wag drives like crap now with some serious bump steer going on. Is the fix as easy as just jacking it back up, loosening the bolts, lowering, flexing, and then tightening bolts back? Do I even have to jack it up before loosening bolts? Thanks in advance for any advice.

SJTD

Re: Front shackles question

Post by SJTD »

I don't see what difference it would make jacking it up first but I wouldn't get my hopes up either way.

Do these have urethane bushings? If so, extended or compressed for tightening won't make any difference since the bushings rotate on the bolts.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Grand Slam

Post by Grand Slam »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

It can't hurt to give it a try, most suspensions require torquing of bolts with weight on the suspension. So no harm in Jacking it up loosening the bolts, putting the weight on it and then re-torquing it.
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I'd just loosen them on the ground and see if the angle changes.

Have you contacted BJ's? I would expect the angle to be over-center at rest.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Grand Slam

Post by Grand Slam »

I did speak with a representative at bj's that told me to to try what I asked in the op. Think I may loosen them up, flex them a few times, and see what happens. Thanks for all the input guys.