HEI and Holley Sniper compatibility?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Mmbackpacker

HEI and Holley Sniper compatibility?

Post by Mmbackpacker »

I may have made a rookie mistake...

My 77 Cherokee S NT, AMC 360/TH400...

Can I run an HEI system (the ebay "one wire hookup" special) with a Holley Sniper and MCRobb surge tank?

If no, why not, and what do I need to do?

I have been searching and running around in circles and can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Any help is really appreciated!
1977 Jeep Cherokee S NT
AMC 360 with Sniper EFI and stock fuel system to RobbMC surge tank
TH400
Quadratrac

Instagram: id_cherokee_s_nt

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: HEI and Holley Sniper compatibility?

Post by Stuka »

Most of the EFI systems out there do not support HEIs due to the weak tach signal that HEI distributers output. The EFI system uses that tach signal as a cam position sensor, and if its weak, it can make the EFI act up.

We actually had a member here with Holley's previous system and it took a lot testing and working with Holley to find out it was the HEI. He swapped in a Duraspark distributer and it instantly performed better.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Ya know, there is no difference in operating principle between the HEI and the Duraspark. They both make a VR (variable reluctance) signal and trigger the coil from that signal. The module and coil is packaged inside the distributor with the HEI - that's the only difference. You can mix and match components between them at will.

You can run a MSD module with the HEI by bringing the VR signal out to the MSD module, and returning the coil trigger to the HEI coil. This is all in the MSD 6A instructions. I don't see why the Holley should be any different. If it will trigger from a Duraspark, it will trigger from the HEI. Just don't use the HEI module. Bring the wires out to the Holley stuff, send the Holley wires back to the distributor. Kinda blows up the whole HEI "one wire" rationale, but it's not any different from a Duraspark in this case.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Sorry I don't want to seem like a know-it-all here. Apparently neither of these systems has a dedicated tach signal, and the timing of the charge and discharge of the coil could be different. I should not claim outright that the HEI can be made to work by itself.

One solution with the HEI distributor might be some kind of active tach filter that would condition the signal so its more easily detected by the Holley TBI. Another solution might be to use the MSD module as above with either the HEI or DUraspark distributors and take the MSD tach signal for the Holley input. The Duraspark distributor will not work without a module of some kind, whether that's the Duraspark module, (compatible) HEI module, or (also compatible) MSD module.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Mmbackpacker

Post by Mmbackpacker »

Thanks guys. Lots for me to sort out.
1977 Jeep Cherokee S NT
AMC 360 with Sniper EFI and stock fuel system to RobbMC surge tank
TH400
Quadratrac

Instagram: id_cherokee_s_nt