Bolt On Pocket Flares for FSJ??

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Bolt On Pocket Flares for FSJ??

Post by Fast79Chief »

It's rumored that there are some pocket style rear fender flares that will bolt in place on the 2 door Chiefs. Anybody able to confirm this?

Quadratec 6" Pocket Style Fender Flare?
Could be another company like Bushwacker they were talking about?

Thanks
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Bolt On Pocket Flares for FSJ??

Post by Stuka »

Several people have used XJ flares. They do require a bit of tweaking. But typically they are used on Wagoneers as the flares are designed for use on a 4dr (the flare is two pieces, front and rear). I am not sure if bushwhacker (or anybody) still makes flares for a 2dr XJ, as 2dr's are pretty rare. TJ flares are a possibility also.

They do not match the style if your front flares. There are fiberglass rear flares that once painted look just like factory steel flares if you want to retain the factory look.

EDIT: I was just thinking about this, and I am not sure these fenders will work on a WT. The fender opening is significantly larger on a WT vs NT.

These are XJ Bushwhacker Pocket Flares:
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Thanks Stuka, very good info and I appreciate it. I did see a FSJ 2 door Chief with 1 piece rear pocket flares in a picture online today since I originally posted this. Can't get any info since it's a very old picture. I would go with the fiberglass flares but they have gotten very 'pricey' since they were first released a few years ago. With their shipping cost thay are way up there. I've seen a full set of pocket flares for $189.00, less than the cost of one fiberglass flare.
I'm going to continue to explore this ... it could be an option for those of us who need to let go rusty factory flares.

Thanks, and anyone else please comment on what you know.
Fast
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Yogi

Post by Yogi »

Nice waggy in that pic. Is that spring over with lift springs?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yogi wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:53 pm Nice waggy in that pic. Is that spring over with lift springs?
I cannot recall his exact setup. I know it is sprung over, but I am unsure as to what springs it has on it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Would be great to hear from anyone who has done this with a 2 door Chief. I have read that the 2 door XJ rear flare can work if it's "tweaked" a little. I'd like to know just what 'Tweaking' would be necessary to get them to fit.
If you know anybody in your off-road groups that is wearing a pair of these ... hit them up for info.

I wanted to add ... I wonder why BJ's doesn't list the pre 97 XJ 2 door Bushwacker 1 piece rear flare for sale? Supposedly it works for 2 door Chiefs.
What's going on there?

Thanks