6 Leaf Front Spring Packs ...

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fast79Chief

6 Leaf Front Spring Packs ...

Post by Fast79Chief »

Looking for some ideas to smooth out the ride on my 79 Chief. Right now it has 6 leaf front springs and nitro type shocks. Everything looks to be at least 15 to 20 years old.
I'm trying to get a SMOOTHER ride since I dont off-road this baby. I have been told 'Twin Tube' shocks rather than gas would help the ride.

Anybody have recommendations on a brand and specific shock for this buggy?

Thanks for your ideas.
Fast
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: 6 Leaf Front Spring Packs ...

Post by rocklaurence »

I like the single hydraulic shocks for comfort. Particularly the Sensa Trac-they have soft valving in the center of travel

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Thanks rock, I've been in touch with Monroe tech support and they inform me that the Sensa-Trac has been phased out now. The challenge seems to be the collapsed length and extended length that I need, and what they currently offer in a Twin-tube style shock to fit the bill. Other than their O.E. equivalent, they do offer a Hydrolic shock twin-tube called the Gas Magnum that will be close in length. Anyone have experience with the Gas Magnums?
The tech assured me that it is NOT as stiff as my single tube nitrogen Tuff Country SX 8000's on there now.
Looking for a smoother 'street' ride than what I have now.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Decided to go with the Monroe OESpectrum shocks. 2 arrived yesterday. Monroe tech's say I should be happy with these. Said the Gas Magnums will be a stiff ride.

Glad I was able to reach a knowledgeable tech who spent a lot of time comparing what they offer and the mods on my Chief.
Fast