Moab J-20

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
dcgayhart

Moab J-20

Post by dcgayhart »

I have been wheeling in Moab for many years. Sold my highly modified TJ several years ago. Now I want to build a J-20 for Moab. Why, because you rarely see one.
I trying to figure out which year is best to start with. I love the J Series because of the look and Dana 44 & 60 Axles, which will work nicely with 37" tires geared to 4.88 or higher with high strength axles. I just found out the Quadra-trac equipped years have the rear differential offset to the passenger side. Extra work to move back to center!
Probably will replace the installed T-case if unserviceable with an Atlas and add ARB lockers to diffs. I've been looking for the shorter wheel base but those are rare. If I get a 132" wb I will shorten the frame by 12" ahead of the rear spring mount if I don't do "coil-overs" I have no problem with the original V8"s but if it's to far gone would upgrade to an LS.

So what year J-20 should I look for?

Danny G

Yeller

Re: Moab J-20

Post by Yeller »

I see a lot of "have to get a centered rear" to get away from the quadratrack, just isn't necessary. doesn't affect drivability and improves trail performance, if you hit the diff it only lifts 1 tire and not both ;) . Me 74 or newer would be my choice, fewer parts to swap and source, I bought a 70 because it was in fantastic shape but am now in process of replacing both axles to update them for strength and turning radius, doing some suspension wizardry as well :D

Even the "centered" diff isn't so centered, it is still offset 3-1/2" to clear the fuel tank with the drive shaft.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The only J20's with centered rear axles are 80+, and they are the hardest ones to find as the fewest of them were made.

However, J20's used the same rear axle for both D20 and QT equipped t-cases. Its not as offset as the Wagoneer QT rear axles were. So you can still easily use a centered output t-case. The rear drive shaft is long enough that the offset wont matter much.

However, if you are bobbing the frame, there is no reason to get a J20, as they are ALL 132" wheelbase. Just find a short bed J10 that already has a 119" wheelbase and put whatever axles you want under it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
dcgayhart

Post by dcgayhart »

I haven't been looking to long but have not seen a short bed truck yet. Shortening frame is cheap compared to buying different axles.