RUSH90JGW

Missing vacuum system 90 GW 360.

Post by RUSH90JGW »

Hesitates stalls when I start accelerating, no power after 40mph

Topic author
RUSH90JGW

Re: Missing vacuum system 90 GW 360.

Post by RUSH90JGW »

New carburetor, Electric fuel pump, and can't seem to find diagrams of the carburetor so I can identify the ports. New to working on vehicles. Already 5k to a shop and running worse than I started. Fixed the fuel pump problem witch I had brought it in for in the first place. But I don't know how to run the vacuum lines with everything missing and not sure how to identify parts I'm looking at anyway. Have replaced bad vacuum lines. Are there any online shop manuals? Ordered a shop book online and came as a cd for computer that I don't have. Is there anything I can download to my phone? Thanks for your help. I'm a trying

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Manuals are available here as a pdf. Yours won’t be too different from the ‘89 full service manual (if different at all)

https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html
1984 GW

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Printed copy is available too - https://www.bjsoffroad.com/1990-Jeep-Fa ... _1060.html

Or take your CD to a print shop and ask them to make a printed copy.

The Tom Collins site (above) also has some parts manuals that may help, but the transfer quality is not great as I recall. Likely impossible to read on a phone.

You can buy a desktop computer for near to what you'd pay for a printed manual - https://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPlex-De ... 376&sr=8-4
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
RUSH90JGW

Post by RUSH90JGW »

Thank you for the info. Looking into it now. Also I have been tinkering with vacuum lines. Distributor to canister and a side port overflow to canister and line going back to pcv behind carburetor. When they timed it originally the TPS(?)wasn't touching throttle arm at all. When I began to screw them together idle and the volt meter started to read close to the 18 mark on the dash

Topic author
RUSH90JGW

Post by RUSH90JGW »

Also the hesitation happens later on accelerating since I screwed TPS closer into throttle arm.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

TPS is throttle position sensor typically. Not used on a carburetor. Likely it's a fast idle solenoid if it has a wire.

This is a reman carburetor that's an exact replacement for the factory carburetor? Or an aftermarket carburetor? Hesitation when you open the throttle means the mixture goes too lean, generally. This can be because you have vacuum leaks. Or could be because the accelerator pump does not deliver the pump shot like it should. The accelerator pump is explained very well in the TSM.

You also need manifold vacuum to the power valve. This is another system that enriches the mixture as you open the throttle. Another system that is well explained in the TSM. The TSM has a really good system-by-system description of the circuits in the carburetor.

I don't mean to discourage you, but the GW is the last passenger car that came with a carburetor. Every other vehicle had gone to fuel injection by that time. The factory patched up the GW with many vacuum-driven devices to conform to ever-tightening emissions laws. There is a lot of vacuum plumbing.

If you've already invested $5000 trying to make it run right, you might want to spend another $1500 and convert to fuel injection. Howell sells a kit for that much that eliminates 90% of the vacuum plumbing and is emissions-legal in every state.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
RUSH90JGW

Post by RUSH90JGW »

Carburetor is reman. ND2919. Already saving up for fuel injection. This last year hit pretty hard and still catching up. Just hoping get running enough for work. Really appreciate the help and great info.thanks again. Unfortunately 5000. Was the last of my savings trying to get her running. Live and learn I guess lol. Thanks again for your help

letank

Post by letank »

Welcome to the asylum.

Improperly hooked up vacuum lines or vacuum leaks render our engine powerless, the charcoal canister can be a bear as well as the PCV on the back fo the carburetor, so is the EGR valve.

A quick step is to spray brake cleaner around the top of the engine with engine running at idle and find the leaks as the idle goes up!

May be a few pictures of your carburetor hook up with the air filter removed may help some of us to give you pointers.

We can sink large amount of $$$ for little to show in return... Just finished some struts replacement, I was quoted $3500.... so far $260 for the parts, my time, a few pairs of rubber gloves and some sweat!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
RUSH90JGW

Post by RUSH90JGW »

Can't figure out how to get pics on here.. Sorry.

letank

Post by letank »

RUSH90JGW wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:35 pm Can't figure out how to get pics on here.. Sorry.
you need to use a hosting site, google, imgur...

check Bob Barry video on his 87, same V8 engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GReFi9Z ... SJ&index=1
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You can drag and drop into the forum if you go to the "Full Editor and Preview." Click and hold with your finger or cursor on the picture and drag it into the box where you write your message. Not sure how to do that on a phone - another thing that's easy on a desktop or laptop computer.

Possible your pictures are too large for the forum to accept them. This is likely if you are picking the pictures directly from your phone camera. There are dozens of free programs that will resize your picture - I like PIXresizer https://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/ 800x600 works well. Trivial on a laptop or desktop system.

Example -

You can pick "Place Inline" and it will show a link. For the above pic, I clicked on the picture name in the forum and copied the link address httpx://wwx.fsjnetwork.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=8759 (intentionally mis-spelled here) and put it between the "img" keywords, like [ing]httpx://wwx.fsjnetwork.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=8759[/ing] but spelled correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.