Variance in length (top to bottom) of shock mounts on all four corners?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Variance in length (top to bottom) of shock mounts on all four corners?

Post by Laredo Matt »

I would like to add Fox shocks to my 83 Laredo w/ 3-4" lift. They don't have anything in their standard catalog so I called to talk to them and they suggested I measure the mounts (top to bottom) at all four corners and pull together some other information and then call them back and they can work something up for me based on what ride I'd like, engine etc.

I went out to do that today and was surprised all four corners weren't the same distance. Maybe that's normal, I've just never done it before so am not sure.

I measured from the center of the top mount (bolt) to the center of the bottom mount hole.

Left Front - 21 3/4"
Right Front - 22"
Left Rear - 21"
Right Rear -21 1/4"

None are the same length and odd that side to side they vary by 1/4" but on opposite sides front and back.

Is this normal ie. part of the accuracy of manufacturing in 83 or maybe for performance reasons this is to be expected or does it point to some potential problem with the frame? The jeep sat level side to side when I bought it and there are no signs of any frame damage or even past repairs to the frame as far as I can tell. I stripped it down, sand blasted and coated with POR.

Obviously I'm a bigger on this topic so any feedback is appreciated.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E