Wish to change old style holley fuel controller to new system

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Bakydnutbstr

Wish to change old style holley fuel controller to new system

Post by Bakydnutbstr »

When I got my 86 Wagoneer it has fuel controller that you manually turn knobs to adjust fuel delivery ( must of been first one holley ever made) Just changed oil and was very thinned out only took it up road 1/2 mile or so but system is OLD . Really
Drove to where I live now 168 mile and around town not alot but afew times oil wasnt so thin. Anyone know which way to turn knobs ? But I really would like to modernize to new style . Has 360 , edelbrock performer intake may be 4 bbl but only 2 bbl now, Doug thorlly headers, manifolds were cracked. Do they need O2 sensors? Or what This stuff I have no clue. Please direct me to a simple to install system that works. With good electrical insturctions thanks alot.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Wish to change old style holley fuel controller to new system

Post by Stuka »

Sounds like you have the old analog projection system. That this is super antiquated by todays standards.

If you are wanting to switch to a new holley sniper system (or similar), you will need O2 sensors. This goes for any EFI system. Most decent systems have instructions with them. However, several of these systems also require an electric fuel pump.

The newer systems are significantly better than the one that you have now. Heck, even a carb would better than what you have now.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Bakydnutbstr

Post by Bakydnutbstr »

Ive thought about changing to a carb, but it has electrick fuel pump w return line to tank pressure gauge in line to engine, beenSaid would have to put mechanical pump back in to use carb. Also where would O2 sensors go. Before & after cat.
Have new cat but cleaned out old one free flow. Wouldn’t want to cut into headers for O2s.
Thanks

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The O2 sensors go before the cat. Typically just past the exhaust manifolds. Most EFI system mention where they want them. It will require having buns welded into the exhaust.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Have you looked on the Holley site or contacted Holley? That would be my first stop if I wanted to understand one of their legacy products.

Holley sells their latest "Sniper" EFI in a 2V pattern like the original carburetor, but also in a 4V Holley pattern as I recall. Sounds like that's what you want. Really, 4V or 2V does not make any difference with throttle body fuel injection, since there's no need to maintain a high vacuum with EFI. A carburetor uses vacuum to do work, but to EFI it's just a signal. 4V EFI on a V8 is just for appearance. A 454 Chevy uses a 2V throttle body - it's just a bigger 2V throttle body than the 350.

The system has an O2 sensor kit that bolts to the exhaust pipe and is not going to work without an O2 sensor. The kit works with a regular exhaust pipe. If you don't want to drill into the headers, you could drill into whatever pipe is ahead of the cat and after the headers. Would work ok as long as the sensor is ahead of the catalytic element. Some cats have a place for an O2 sensor, or you can take an O2 sensor bung to your local muffler shop and they could install it.

If you already have the high pressure fuel pump, Holley will sell the sniper system without their fuel pump kit. Lowers the price by a few hundred dollars. Certainly they will advise you about compatability of their older product's parts.

The O2 sensor goes in front of the cat, but I believe it is not compatible with air injection (a smog pump), if you have that.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Bakydnutbstr

Post by Bakydnutbstr »

So would likly have to remove smog pump system, all new banjos would have to be removed and plugged off.
Theres room in front of cat for O2sensor. could always move cat farther back a bit. Headers are ceramic coated no room before collector to put O2 in.
This is the way it'll have to be. Hope to drive it before gasoline is banned.🤨

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you want to be smog legal, there is a kit from Howell that is certified for 50 states. The documentation is online and an interesting read if you contemplate keeping any of the emissions equipment (ie the catalytic convertor). https://howellefi.com/product/k247jpv8w ... 401-clone/ Check the "manuals" link.

Also may be a more appealing option, since it uses the well-documented and widely available GM Rochester TBI parts available everywhere.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

will e

Post by will e »

Bump, saw your other post with the picture of the controller. yeah, that's their analog unit. I ran one for a while. They work fine. The problem is they are not very tunable, the good thing is they are not very tunable.
I drew arrows on my controller to indicate lean vs fat. And I might have the manual laying around if you are still thinking about using it.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

i installed holly sniper and hyperspark, the thing is totally tunable from the drivers seat, f/a ratio, idle, timing, shows alternator out put, water temp and so much more. fire right up, i removed ALL, ALL OEM emissions equipment, ran my cherokee thru the emissions test and passed with better results than with OEM equip. hooked up so F cali and CARB bunch of liberal pukes telling us whats good for us.