HEI Distributor advice needed

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Normanator

HEI Distributor advice needed

Post by Normanator »

Looking to upgrade the Prestolite distributor on my 77 Cherokee and have been reading lots of conflicting things.
Id like to upgrade to an HEI style (link below) but have read it may not be an option on a 77 360.
Was hoping someone who has done the upgrade on a 75-77 could tell me first hand if I can or cannot use the linked distributor, and if I can, what else I need to order.
Much appreciated!

<a href="https://www.ebay.com/itm/201032821615?_ ... ributor</a>
1977 Cherokee S 360 4v AT
Polson, MT

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: HEI Distributor advice needed

Post by Stuka »

You can definitely upgrade a 75-77 FSJ with HEI. Those years are actually the best fit. As 78+ use the duraspark which is very cheap and easy to upgrade using the stock distributer and ignition module. While 75-77 use the Prestolite which is absolute garbage.

I have used two different HEI kits for AMCs. Z&M and CRT. Both were good kits. The CRT though is more complete as it comes with wires.

CRT Performance: https://crtperformance.com/shop/ols/products/amcjeep-v8

Now, I did have to purposely install the distributer a tooth off to prevent the vacuum advance from interfering with one of the belts. This allowed me to rotate it out of the way.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Normanator

Post by Normanator »

Excellent, I had a CRT bookmarked as well, so I'll go with that one! Is there anything else needed with this distributor? Different ignition module, etc?
Polson, MT

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Normanator wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:21 pm Excellent, I had a CRT bookmarked as well, so I'll go with that one! Is there anything else needed with this distributor? Different ignition module, etc?
The module is inside the distributer. All you have to do is run 12V switched to it. I used the power lead from the old ignition module as it was already wired up for the proper key positions.

It is often advised to use the distributer gear off your OEM distributer if its in good shape as its already meshed with the cam gear. Although you can also check the wear pattern of the new gear after running it for a few minutes.

Basically, you don't want the new distributer gear to eat the cam gear. Because then you will be sad. It doesn't hurt to put some oil on the new gear also before putting it in.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Normanator

Post by Normanator »

Appreciate it!
Polson, MT