Wing vent window - removal and replacement help

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Wing vent window - removal and replacement help

Post by Laredo Matt »

I'm working to get my doors fully disassembled so I can have them dustless blasted Thursday. I spent the weekend getting the eng/trans/transfer case out and the body on a rotisserie I was lucky enough to find for rent from a guy who needed to free up some space in his home shop for a bit.

My plan is to have body, chassis and anything else metal I can blasted Thursday.

I'm having a trouble with the wing vent windows on driver passenger side. The pivot stud for the wing was rusted thru. Bottom nut / bolt snapped trying to loosen it. TSM makes it sound simple to remove but skips a lot of steps.

It looks like the vent window frame is its own unit but appears to be riveted to the door frame itself with no way to remove without grinding rivets off? Given that would require placing new rivest from top of door frame and paint seems like it shouldn't be the case. Am I missing something?

The images are on goolge and shared but I guess some may not be able to see without a google account...I need to get something truly free so everyone can see. I apologize in advance.

Top corner of driver side door. The silver vent frame is riveted to through the door frame. Not shown but glass is also riveted to the rotation point mid way up

the bottom of the vent frame is also riveted but seems to be in loosely (floats) and can be removed without cutting / removing rivets. It appears the top corner rivets are fixed. Also shows the rusted out pivot arm. The nut and bolt below/inside the door were also rusted and broke while trying to loosen.

still have some patching and shaving to do and finish door disassembly and a few things on chassis before Thursday.

any help is appreciated!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

letank

Re: Wing vent window - removal and replacement help

Post by letank »

the last few that I removed at the junkyard were screwed... I need to find where I have stashed them to bring up picts... IIRC they were late models, 86 or 87
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

there should be screws through the slanted part of the door frame outside into the wing window frame. remove those and the 3/8 bolts 2 sets hidden by the door panel inside and gently persuade the top out of it's corner towards the center pf the door. The top glass felt weatherstrip chanel will need to be removed to do it. which I see you've already done. use a rubber mallet or something gentle but forceful.
Yes the rivets will need to be drilled out later to replace the rubbers. but not to get the assembly out. Good rule is that assembly is the last out and one of the first back in. A number of threads out there on rebuilding them. As for the broken stud, common, good ones harder to find nowadays.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

FLeetFox wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:24 pm there should be screws through the slanted part of the door frame outside into the wing window frame. remove those and the 3/8 bolts 2 sets hidden by the door panel inside and gently persuade the top out of it's corner towards the center pf the door. The top glass felt weatherstrip chanel will need to be removed to do it. which I see you've already done. use a rubber mallet or something gentle but forceful.
Yes the rivets will need to be drilled out later to replace the rubbers. but not to get the assembly out. Good rule is that assembly is the last out and one of the first back in. A number of threads out there on rebuilding them. As for the broken stud, common, good ones harder to find nowadays.

Fleet Fox
This is pretty much what I recall. It all comes apart if you get all the fasteners. I followed the instructions in the '82-83 TSM, and had no trouble replacing all the window seals in my J20. The instructions in the TSM are quite detailed.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

as said do not remove the rivets... there are 2 sets of screws in the vertical bar, one set is against the metal inside fascia, accessed from the seating area and the other is around the bottom you need to put your hand or tool inside the door. pict on the way for the wing window unit

I suspect that you have removed the window channel, when all the screws are removed you slide the vertical bar rearward, it may require a little persuasion, the last one that I removed, I slightly bent the vertical bar
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

If you remove all the screws and the brackets from the door it’s still may seems rigidly connected. Give it a very firm tug, rotating toward the door handle, it should break free
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

All good additions and great pics LeTank. My final suggestion would be to look at the BJ's complete weatherstrip kit for your truck. Yes it's spendy, but it is a good kit and nearly complete for a rebuild or resto. See what parts are included. For the wing windows you get new division bars and vent window seals. so you can theoretically ruin the division bar. Most guys by a rivet kit from LMC Truck to fit Chevys, 67-72 or 73-87(91) same basic parts included. I would suggest buying 2 of their rivet punches if going that route. they are aluminum and don't hold up well/ the tool will need to be turned down on a lathe or a drill press slightly to fit in the division bar. it's disposable. As other said, there are a bunch of threads, and it's not high drama if you take your time and work carefully.

here are some pics from the rebuild i did. they stink

Image[/url]0124201729 by highsiera

[Image[/url]0124201730 by highsiera

Image[/url]0124201751 by highsiera

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

It's been a while but I wanted to follow up for others in the future. I was unable to find screws etc. and even called in others to help before making a decision. I wanted to remove the entire assembly so I could have the doors blasted along with the rest of the jeep.

Ultimately, I had a deadline and ended up drilling out the spot wells along the top and front vertical bar of the door frame and the entire assembly came out easily. I'll spot weld those back up prior to paint. Seems odd they would assemble them differently but after drilling don't see an other way to have removed them complete. I followed TSM to the letter and they still wouldn't come out. Drilling the spot welds was the next step and it worked, right or wrong.

Here are few pics of the hole locations I drilled (two smaller holes pictured)

BTW - as an aside, if you are considering dustless blasting, clean up is a pain. The media is sprayed with water so metal heating and warping isn't really a problem so that's a plus. The media however gets in every crack and crevice and when it dries is clumpy and sticks very similar to sand (it's silica so pretty close in texture/appearance to sand) so it also traps moisture. I spent days cleaning with air, scotch pads, various size wire brushes, picks, vacuum etc. Almost certain I t still didn't get everything inside doors, tailgate and inside body panels but most. Just something to consider.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Dr.Bob

Post by Dr.Bob »

Sorry I'm seeing this so late, but I have a video illustrating the precise location of the screws you have to remove to disassemble the door:

https://youtu.be/lD4PEVPuinU

Then I go on with excruciatingly-detailed videos showing the process of replacing the weatherstripping and putting everything back:

https://youtu.be/UAd1fmWkYfo

https://youtu.be/-M72fkhXgKo

https://youtu.be/UWWedDFfa-g

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Dr.Bob wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:43 pm Sorry I'm seeing this so late....
No problem, appreciate the reply.

I will definitely benefit from the video of the weatherstripping when I get to that point and it's a plus. Will weld holes I drilled in the door frame back up and no one will ever know....that isn't on this thread :)
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E