Floor console shifter

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
SRT6

Floor console shifter

Post by SRT6 »

Hello. I have searched for about an hour but not found any info on this question. I saw 1987 Wagoneer with a B&M auto console shifter on the floor above the transmission. Does anyone know how these install? I am converting a 1979 J10 from T18 to TH400 automatic using trans, Xfer case, driveshafts and pedal box from a 1974 J10. There are a couple missing/worn parts in the auto trans linkage from the steering column shift lever to the trans. Using an aftermarket floor shifter seem like an easy way past this issue. Anyone know how they work? Cables, partial stock linkage, etc? Thanks!

Lti57

Re: Floor console shifter

Post by Lti57 »

The B&M should have a cable that runs from the shifter itself, to a bracket mounted on the transmission and then connected to the transmission
I think Jegs or Summit should sell those parts or buying a new one should come with.
Damn they are proud of their cables
https://static.summitracing.com/global/ ... _uv_xl.jpg

My 81 wagoneer came with a B&M floor shifter and it sucked wife could not slid the seat forward (bench seat)
And was just over kill for what I wanted.
I was missing part of my column shifter and had to make my own
Good luck
Last edited by Lti57 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Directly above the center of the Earth 🌍
2017 Chevy Silverado DD
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1987 BMW E30 325i convertible
1981 Jeep Wagoneer. 360 ,TF727 , NP208

Topic author
SRT6

Post by SRT6 »

Lti57 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:08 am The B&M should have a cable that runs from the shifter itself, to a bracket mounted on the transmission and then connected to the transmission
I think Jegs or Summit should sell those parts or buying a new one should come with.
Damn they are proud of their cables
https://static.summitracing.com/global/ ... _uv_xl.jpg

My 81 wagoneer came with a B&M floor shifter and it sucked wife could not slid the seat forward (bench seat)
And was just over kill for what I wanted.
I was kissing part of my column shifter and had to make my own
Good luck
Thanks!

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I have a B&M shifter on my '87 TF727 and the detents dont line up and is a pain to operate. I have never been able to get the shifter setup per-the instruction: adjust cable for Park position, adjust cable for 1st gear etc. The best that Ive gotten is that it shifts correctly from Park to Drive but from Drive to Reverse/Park is is One detent off--you have to hunt for Reverse. Plus, the Ratchet 1-2-3 is off by one detent--meaning that you have to shift up twice to get to 2nd gear. Honestly, I need to call the support line for help but havent done it yet [18 months later]. Maybe its something simple--IDK

Topic author
SRT6

Post by SRT6 »

rocklaurence wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:05 am I have a B&M shifter on my '87 TF727 and the detents dont line up and is a pain to operate. I have never been able to get the shifter setup per-the instruction: adjust cable for Park position, adjust cable for 1st gear etc. The best that Ive gotten is that it shifts correctly from Park to Drive but from Drive to Reverse/Park is is One detent off--you have to hunt for Reverse. Plus, the Ratchet 1-2-3 is off by one detent--meaning that you have to shift up twice to get to 2nd gear. Honestly, I need to call the support line for help but havent done it yet [18 months later]. Maybe its something simple--IDK
Thanks. I had no idea that these shifters cost $350! I just sold a parts 1987 wagoneer with one installed. Wish I had removed it! Then you still need an expensive cable too :)

itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Lokar makes a very good floor shifter that mounts on the transmission....various lengths and shapes available. I have one in my J20 and it is great.