Aftermarket fuse block placement

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I'm doing a complete rewire, along with full rebuild. I've been taking lots of pictures but realized not as many as i thought.

I have an american autowire highway 22 universal wiring kit. The fuse block is roughly the same width (driver side to passenger side) as the factory block but 2x as long (dash to floor pan).

The interior is stripped and body off already. I had some downtime today so grabbled the fuse block to see about placement. Preference is OE location. I went back and looked at all the pictures on dash and wiring after realizing its 2x the length of OE block and not one picture (out of many) with a direct view with dash pulled and OE fuse back still in place that would let me understand if it will fit in factory location with everything going on.

Can anyone take a picture of their set up and send, or at least share some measurements on space below the bottom of the OE box and distance from floor pan.

Alternatively, I figured I could also make a mount and locate it behind the rear wheel well on the driver/passenger side but then would probably need to extend all the wires as it wasn't designed for mounting in that location.

I'm planning to put a vintage air unit in. No factory a/c and have removed the factory heater and started patching holes already. Hope I didn't get ahead of myself but can always cut back out if I need to. Is there room under the passenger side dash to tuck the fuse block and still have reasonable access with a vinatge air unit installed?

any suggestions?
Last edited by Laredo Matt on Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Cheapthrills

Re: Aftermarket fuse block placement

Post by Cheapthrills »

Photos are not working..... if I where replacing the fuse block and rewiring it I'd relocate the block to a more accessible place, but thats me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Can’t see pics either. x2 about putting it in the more accessible place, stock location especially with AC is a PITA to get to. I put my fuse/relay box on driver side fender under the hood (you can check my thread for pics) and I’m entertaining the idea of moving most of the fuses there at some point and getting rid of factory bulkhead/fuse panel. That location works only if your new panel is waterproof though
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Cheapthrills wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:48 pm Photos are not working..... if I where replacing the fuse block and rewiring it I'd relocate the block to a more accessible place, but thats me.
thanks for letting me know photos aren't working. Not sure what's going on there.

I may end up doing just that. Have room under the hood as well now that the heater is removed. May just build a watertight enclosure and mount to firewall. That's another option.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

sirrus wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:57 pm Can’t see pics either. x2 about putting it in the more accessible place, stock location especially with AC is a PITA to get to. I put my fuse/relay box on driver side fender under the hood (you can check my thread for pics) and I’m entertaining the idea of moving most of the fuses there at some point and getting rid of factory bulkhead/fuse panel. That location works only if your new panel is waterproof though
Thanks Sirrus.

I did a quick browse of your wagoneer build. Didn't see the pictures though for the fuse box. To be honest, a lot of browse, stop and read. I wanted to skim everything to the end so may have missed it. A lot of good work and some cool parts you've printed or made. Good chance I'll be hitting you up for a few when i finish tearing down and cleaning, body working everything. I've been keeping a running list of things I'm gonna need in general and that already included things like rear glass stops etc. Plus, plan to add power windows and locks so need to spend some time reading those sections in more detail. If you know of a good power window kit, let me know.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Here's the picture of the fuse box on the fender

It's Bussmann Series 15400 RFRM, now it has couple more relays and still a lot of space for fuses (20 per rail, 2 rails). Very nice box and I was able to put it exactly where vac receiver for cruise control used to be. Wiring for it is still a mess, but I'm going to make it tidy once new cruise control is in

I don't have any experience with aftermarket power windows kit, but I remember seeing thread or two on this forum about them.
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

We salvaged most of our electrical from 01 Tahoe, fuse panel in stock location with GM computer on the other side of firewall, partial to using oem parts ,have to many bad experiences with aftermarket replacement parts NLA
Also like factory wire colors, with this truck you could find out how the engine is wired by looking in a 01 Tahoe service manual.of course that doesn’t apply to all added on stuff! Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

sonoraed wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:06 pm
We salvaged most of our electrical from 01 Tahoe, fuse panel in stock location with GM computer on the other side of firewall, partial to using oem parts ,have to many bad experiences with aftermarket replacement parts NLA
Also like factory wire colors, with this truck you could find out how the engine is wired by looking in a 01 Tahoe service manual.of course that doesn’t apply to all added on stuff! Cheers
Thanks for the pictures Sonoraed...very helpful.

I decided to go with a complete kit. Never wired a vehicle before (have some friends I can call over with experience if I get stuck) but wanted to do it myself and limit splicing and cutting OEM harness etc. color coding and function printed on the wire every couple inches was appealing :)
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Appreciate that,do recommend creating a schematic for future reference.
I like to use a binder to put installation manuals, pictures of the build,etc. have fun .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk